Posted Images

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Bring Me The Horizon / Limp Bizkit / Of Mice & Men / Alexisonfire 

Volbeat 

Guns 'N Roses / Steel Panther / Stone Sour / Coheed & Cambria 

Rise Against 

Metallica / Black Stone Cherry / Lamb Of God / Slayer 

Brand New

Limp Bizkit subbing and OMAM 3rd?, they'll both be one spot further down comfortably.

2 hours ago, lightning1000 said:

Definitely creeper. They're going to be absolutely huge and already have big radio 1, kerrang etc support. 

Marmozets will be there or there abouts. 

Wow, each to their own I guess.

4 hours ago, lightning1000 said:

Definitely creeper. They're going to be absolutely huge and already have big radio 1, kerrang etc support. 

Marmozets will be there or there abouts. 

Dude. Seriously. Neither will be headlining Download in 5 years.

Take a look at the Download headliners over the years. 

Of all the festivals going, Download is one of the hardest to become a headliner of. 

Avenged were the last to get the bump up, but they have a massive stage show, arena tour under their backs and Live Nation wanted to push them to headliner level as another young US band they can grow strong ties with rely on as a rotating headliner, Slipknot are there. FFDP and ADTR and being pushed in that direction also. FFDP defo will be soon. 

Alter Bridge want to get there but aren't mainstream enough. Black Stone Cherry I think will probably make it. 

Royal Blood are riding a crest of popularity but im unsure if they will get the Download nod, more likely Reading or V and if they have a bad album that could be it.

And of course Bring Me are being pushed for next year but its not as easy as you think. Look how Bullet were being pushed and failed and they were leaps and bounds ahead of Creeper and Marmozets. 

A lot of bands come close over the years for Download but fail and drop and never come back up, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Bullet, Disturbed, Evanescence, Machinehead all acts people thought would headline and never have despite Limp Bizkit pulling out of booked as headliner. 

You got Deftones this year subbing again like they did 6 years ago, they will probably never make it either. 

Then you have Blink, Green Day, Paramore, QOTSA all established and not headlined yet. System's next go around I imagine they will be booked as headliner again. 

Honestly really look at Downloads headliners and apart from dodgy years like 2008 when things didn't go to plan, they're all really absolutely MASSIVE acts, MASSIVE. 

All fair points lucky but creeper don't have an album yet and they're already getting more attention than most bands going years. I see them getting as big if not bigger than MCR within a short time. They appeal to the same demographic. Bare in mind download is going to have to change its policy within the next 5 years as none of their old reliables are going to exist anymore

31 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

Bare in mind download is going to have to change its policy within the next 5 years as none of their old reliables are going to exist anymore

Bit exaggerated. Only Sabbath and one time headliners AC/DC will pack it in so soon. Maiden and Aerosmith will likely be about still and Rammstein and Metallica aver another fifteen years or so yet.

I honestly don't see slipknot, metallica, maiden, aerosmith, def leppard, soad, rammstein, gnr around in 5 years for different reasons.

It's obviously all my opinion and complete speculation and if I'm wrong so be it. I'll bookmark this post for 2020 haha.

Edit- linkin park will probably still be stinking out the joint though

Edited by lightning1000

3 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Dude. Seriously. Neither will be headlining Download in 5 years.

Take a look at the Download headliners over the years. 

Of all the festivals going, Download is one of the hardest to become a headliner of. 

Avenged were the last to get the bump up, but they have a massive stage show, arena tour under their backs and Live Nation wanted to push them to headliner level as another young US band they can grow strong ties with rely on as a rotating headliner, Slipknot are there. FFDP and ADTR and being pushed in that direction also. FFDP defo will be soon. 

Alter Bridge want to get there but aren't mainstream enough. Black Stone Cherry I think will probably make it. 

Royal Blood are riding a crest of popularity but im unsure if they will get the Download nod, more likely Reading or V and if they have a bad album that could be it.

And of course Bring Me are being pushed for next year but its not as easy as you think. Look how Bullet were being pushed and failed and they were leaps and bounds ahead of Creeper and Marmozets. 

A lot of bands come close over the years for Download but fail and drop and never come back up, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Bullet, Disturbed, Evanescence, Machinehead all acts people thought would headline and never have despite Limp Bizkit pulling out of booked as headliner. 

You got Deftones this year subbing again like they did 6 years ago, they will probably never make it either. 

Then you have Blink, Green Day, Paramore, QOTSA all established and not headlined yet. System's next go around I imagine they will be booked as headliner again. 

Honestly really look at Downloads headliners and apart from dodgy years like 2008 when things didn't go to plan, they're all really absolutely MASSIVE acts, MASSIVE. 

I have to disagree with you a bit here, I don't think it's that hard to headline Download, just Andy will book the repeat of your Metallica's and your Iron Maidens etc instead as it fends off Soni getting them, he even pretty much pointed to this in his podcast after announcing them all this year talking about a band falling through and Maiden deciding to tour Europe. BMTH could have been chosen this year had he not felt the need to get who he did.

Not sure I agree with you with FFDP being that soon and not sure any of those bands you mentioned in coming close were really ever that close. Bullet did an arena tour to shameful ticket sales and i'm unsure how Disturbed's arena tour sold.

Blink were going to headline in 2005, Andy could have got them in 2011 if he wanted to that much and the same could be said about Green Day (come on for Green Day, it doesn't come down to it being hard for them....possibly not producing anything of worth since American Idiot I'll give you). Do Paramore really make music now and do sets that the Download crowd would appreciate, Muse are a much bigger act that wouldn't be such a gamble and do QOTSA have the appeal enough for it?, they're crowd at R&L by all accounts wasn't a big headliner sized crowd. SOAD I agree with. 

I think a big difference is that R&L could drop bands if they wanted without a big competitor really who needs to book half the time to stop others doing so.

22 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Bit exaggerated. Only Sabbath and one time headliners AC/DC will pack it in so soon. Maiden and Aerosmith will likely be about still and Rammstein and Metallica aver another fifteen years or so yet.

I'm pretty sure that Copping said on the Thats Not Metal podcast that Aerosmith won't be playing Download again. 

When you think about it, the pool of potential DL headliners is pretty big if Copping can get them. It's big enough that theres no need to keep reusing the usual bands (Slipknot, Maiden, Metallica etc).

I know that it all depends on availability and that the classic bands are a safe choice. But I would love to see bands like Tool Green Day, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters headline in the next few years.

1 hour ago, Paris said:

When you think about it, the pool of potential DL headliners is pretty big if Copping can get them. It's big enough that theres no need to keep reusing the usual bands (Slipknot, Maiden, Metallica etc).

I know that it all depends on availability and that the classic bands are a safe choice. But I would love to see bands like Tool Green Day, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters headline in the next few years.

As said, they NEED to keep reusing them as the top part of the fest is booked to keep Soni away as much as anything else.

Van Halen is probably never going to happen and I don't think Tool, Green Day or Foo Fighters will anytime soon either. Soni booked a bill a lot heavier overall than R&L have done in recent year so R&L wasn't a concern to Download really, hence why it's fine for them to have Metallica but old Rammstein saved Download's arse this year or they were fooked!

On 18/02/2016 at 5:21 PM, thewayiam said:

As said, they NEED to keep reusing them as the top part of the fest is booked to keep Soni away as much as anything else.

Van Halen is probably never going to happen and I don't think Tool, Green Day or Foo Fighters will anytime soon either. Soni booked a bill a lot heavier overall than R&L have done in recent year so R&L wasn't a concern to Download really, hence why it's fine for them to have Metallica but old Rammstein saved Download's arse this year or they were fooked!

Also download and reading are owned by the same people