Hart Attack

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Sucks, dude. I can honestly say I have never been so let down by a gig in all my life. Looking back in it today and it's just ridiculous. It's ridiculous what they have become. 

Even Don Broco, who I know aren't that popular on here, seemed subdued because they clearly saw they weren't playing to their normal audience. Broco are a band I've seen seven times (more than any other) and they ALWAYS give it their all and put on a great show. And to see them trying to get the crowd going and failing was really frustrating. Performance wise though they showed BMTH up, even when it was clear they were cruising. 

Rob asked the crowd who had heard their first album 'Priorities' before playing Actors and I could probably count the people who shouted around me on my two hands. Actors is usually a highlight of their set and always gets awesome pits, but this was pathetic. It was genuinely people pencil jumping up and down way out of time to the music. 

On a slightly happier note, I was proud of the funny I made when they played Antivist (which is a dreadful song and always has been). I changed the lyrics to "Middle fingers up 'cause BMTH suck" :ninja::lol: 

Ah that's a bit shit. I bet Basement went down like a lead balloon as well then :lol: 
Also I like Antivist it is a banging song live (well it was before) 

Also not a bad line up for me. SoaD will be amazing, Biffy will hopefully pull some of the older stuff and Aerosmith will be a great time when drunk. Also nice to see The Story So Far on there. Would also see PoR, Every Time I Die and Slayer too. Not sure if I'll go at all but not a bad start (but then again I'm never too keen on what's added on lower down). Would love to see them add Touche Amore, Dillinger, Converge, Code Orange, Loma Prieta, Casey and Birds in Row and if we're going for a bit more Pop Punk then The Wonder Years, Real Friends and Knuckle Puck wouldn't go amiss.

It goes without saying that Biffy will absolute smash their headline set, just like they have at every festival they've headlined, whether that be Sonisphere, T or R&L. I think the DL audience will thoroughly enjoy it too if they give them a chance. I reckon they're exactly the kind of band that should be headlining Download. They've worked their way up from the bottom of the bill there, headlined most other festivals and sold millions of albums in the process. Mon The Biff.

29 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Ah that's a bit shit. I bet Basement went down like a lead balloon as well then :lol: 
Also I like Antivist it is a banging song live (well it was before) 

I missed Basement, dude, as I had to find somewhere to park :P 

Edited by Andre91

35 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It goes without saying that Biffy will absolute smash their headline set, just like they have at every festival they've headlined, whether that be Sonisphere, T or R&L. I think the DL audience will thoroughly enjoy it too if they give them a chance. I reckon they're exactly the kind of band that should be headlining Download. They've worked their way up from the bottom of the bill there, headlined most other festivals and sold millions of albums in the process. Mon The Biff.

I second this, it'll be my 5th time seeing them and I was really hoping for this booking so I'm really happy with it!

They're more than capable of pulling off a cracking headline show (which has been proven by previous headline slots) and I think some people may be surprised by just how good these guys are.

People wanted fresh headliners instead of so many repeats, well this is a step in the right direction.

Mon the Biff!

24 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

System Of A Down / Slayer / Five Finger Death Punch / Architects

Brand New / AFI 

Biffy Clyro / Prophets of Rage / Jimmy Eat World / Of Mice & Men

Rob Zombie / Ghost 

Aerosmith / Alter Bridge / ZZ Top / Airbourne 

Stone Sour / Papa Roach 

POR I doubt are subs, they have along with Zombie 2nd stage headliners written all over.

JEW playing 3rd down....in what world?

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

No they won't, just because you are a fan doesn't make them Download headliners. R&L and Soni are different plus they are Scottish.

I'm not a Biffy fan. I'll watch them and quite enjoy it but it doesn't give me the feels in any way and I own zero of their records. I had seen them work their way from nobody to high up at TITP before I stopped going to that shitfest. I went to see them headline Leeds in 2013 not expecting much but I have to say that they absolutely smashed it and made NIN who subbed them look very ordinary indeed. If the Download attendees give them an open minded watch I'm sure they'll be similarly blown away. I can't comment on their 2012 performance as I was at 2nd. I'll likely be at 2nd this time too but I know if I go to main it will be pretty amazing.

56 minutes ago, devilman said:

I'm not a Biffy fan. I'll watch them and quite enjoy it but it doesn't give me the feels in any way and I own zero of their records. I had seen them work their way from nobody to high up at TITP before I stopped going to that shitfest. I went to see them headline Leeds in 2013 not expecting much but I have to say that they absolutely smashed it and made NIN who subbed them look very ordinary indeed. If the Download attendees give them an open minded watch I'm sure they'll be similarly blown away. I can't comment on their 2012 performance as I was at 2nd. I'll likely be at 2nd this time too but I know if I go to main it will be pretty amazing.

their performance in 2012 didn't blow me away, but I was waiting for metallica.

In fairness though, I reckon it could be quite good. It'll be dark, which sounds w*nk, but actually enhances the spectacle. It'll probably be pissing down too, but hey ho.

I was still holding out hope for Metallica, guess will have to wait one more year for that !

Never seen SOAD, so will look forward to that. Aerosmith were good for a singalong in 2014(?), but they had bubbles, whereas we had Rammstein with fire and all kinds of batshit crazy stuff the year before. Nothing can compete with that.

Ticket was booked last week regardless. RIP this year as my mates with a campervan have gone and got divorced. How unreasonable.

Edited by Moey

7 hours ago, thewayiam said:

No they won't, just because you are a fan doesn't make them Download headliners. R&L and Soni are different plus they are Scottish.

You're full of so much shit it is unreal. It can not be denied in any way that Biffy are a premier live band. "Plus they are Scottish." What the hell does that even mean? 

Quite surprised many are happy with the line up - seems very underwhelming to me!

Absolutely love Biffy but seen/seeing them 3 times this year.  It feels like Download is last to have them and I wouldn't expect a much heavier or set focussed on early material as the band have nothing to prove at this point.  Plenty of opportunity for folks to see them this year so can't see them being  a big draw next.

SOAD is a good booking - seen them twice in the last few years so not shelling out £200+ quid for them alone though.

Aerosmith - not interested - I get its possibly the final tour but they've been about a bit recently mainly at a few Downloads.

Undercard is ok - PoR, ETID, Slayer all good but the rest more or less besides AFI is just normal Download fodder.

Compared to what similar euro fests have announced so far it seems a bit weak anyway - Not terrible just not great either.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

You're full of so much shit it is unreal. It can not be denied in any way that Biffy are a premier live band. "Plus they are Scottish." What the hell does that even mean? 

What do you think it means? You say T in the Park, they are Scottish!....so they aren't like to go down bad are they.....hell the view don't even go down bad lol.

Full of shit vs in denial.......interesting!

Biffy deserve to stay headliners, have some very good albums and have the hits to make a headline set. They're one of the best live bands going and put a lot of other bands to shame, they will smash it and I'm glad download have gone with them. They have worked there way up lineups, released a fair few albums. I'd say download are in with a treat! And it's surely better than Linkin Park by a long stretch.

I remember Biffy getting a mixed crowd reception in '12 - but by all accounts, I heard they were the strongest headliner at Leeds in '13 - and they blew away Green Day on the TV for Reading. Heard they were well-received at IOW too.

R+ '16 is a curious one. If The 1975 hadn't pulled big crowds (apparently around 20-22,000) to their second stage set against Biffy, it's highly probably they would have had crowds to match those of '13. Biffy have dropped in size, definitely - need only look at the tour and initial sales - but they've been dependable in selling the album past its release date. Ellipsis will finish the year Gold, if not sooner - and that's arguably more than several other headliners have achieved.

Reaction seems to be similar to that of Muse in '15 - but the Biff could turn out a setlist both heavy and catering to their poppier side (no Friends and Enemies here, you'd imagine).

1 Wolves of Winter
2 Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies
3 That Golden Rule
4 Sounds Like Balloons
5 57
6 Questions and Answers
7 Saturday Superhouse
8 Justboy
9 Who's Got a Match?
10 Bubbles
11 There's No Such Thing as a Jaggy Snake
12 My Recovery Injection
13 Mountains
14 Semi-Mental
15 Black Chandelier
16 Glitter and Trauma
17 Animal Style
18 Many of Horror

19 Different People
20 Stingin' Belle
21 The Captain

Hmmm, can't say I'm overly happy with that - could make a better one for Download, but it's what I just threw out there in the haze of a drunken hour.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

What do you think it means? You say T in the Park, they are Scottish!....so they aren't like to go down bad are they.....hell the view don't even go down bad lol.

Full of shit vs in denial.......interesting!

They're are going to automatically go down well with that festival audience just because they're from that country? Rubbish.

They've headlined four major UK festivals. R&L (twice), Sonisphere, Isle of Wight and T in the Park. And you're still doubting their credentials to headline one of the few festivals that they are yet to headline? Add to that the arena tours and two consecutive #1 albums.

You're original point was, "just because you are a fan doesn't make them Download headliners". No, all of the above makes them Download headliners.

You're the one that is in denial.

Some of comments about Biffy are hilarious, people need to brush up on their Download history. Up until this years fest Biffy were tied with KoRn as the most booked band at Download. They've only got Glasto & Download left to headline out of all the major UK fests. If this doesn't answer the 'are they right for Download?' (yes, they've played more than nearly everyone) & 'are they headline worthy?' questions I don't know what does?

Hrere's a post I've nicked from @polythene_girl on the DL forum. Biffy detractors need to read it, here's there festival history and it more than proves they are worthy headliners.

Download Festival:

2004 - 5th down on 2nd stage below Arch Enemy, Wild Boyz, Electric Six and Pennywise

2005 - 5th down on Main Stage  below MegaDave, Dinosaur Jr, Garbage & Feeder

2007 - 3rd down on 2nd stage below Satelite Party and Motley Crue

2008 - 4th down on Main below BFMV, Incubuc and Offspring

2012 - Subbed Main stage below Metallica

Reading/Leeds:

2001 - Opening 2nd stage

2002: Halfway up Carling Stage (not sure what this equates to - certainly not Main or 2nd by the looks of it

2003 - 2nd on on main stage

2005 - 3rd on on Main Stage

2007 - 3rd down on 2nd Stage

2008 - 5th down on Main  below The Enemy, The Fratellis, QOTSA, RATM

2010 - 3rd down on main below QOTSA and GnR

2013 - Headline Main

2016 - Co-Headline Main but last on both nights

Other fest appearances:

TiTP - record 10 times

Oxegen - 2007 mid 2nd stage, 2010 mid main stage

V Festival - 2010 (Main Stage) and 2006

Glastonbury 2007

Wakestock 2011 (headlined)

Soni 2011 (headlined)

Radio 1 Big Weekend 2013 (Headlined)

IOW - Subbed to Pearl Jam (I think) 2012, Subbed to  Calvin Harris in 2014 as well

Other notable things:

2007 - Listed as supporting RHCP, Rolling Stones, Muse (http://www.gigwise.com/news/33246/biffy-clyro-to-support-red-hot-chili-peppers)

2008 - Supported Bon Jovi at Twickenham

2010 - Supported Muse on a 14 date Euro run including Wembley

2011 - Supported Foos at MK Bowl