Download 2017

Hart Attack

2 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

Avenged are currently 8th in a week with 10 new album releases that include the xmas shit everyone buys for their gran.

either way, they're a headliner for a festival that's in dire need of them. 

It'd bad when they are in this dire need though. I feel if LP were the last headliner then this'll sell very badly in the end, 2011 wasn't known for good sales and that was with SOAD's big come back show, they've done Wembley and R&L since then.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It'd bad when they are in this dire need though. I feel if LP were the last headliner then this'll sell very badly in the end, 2011 wasn't known for good sales and that was with SOAD's big come back show, they've done Wembley and R&L since then.

Well yeah of course it's bad. But the reason it's bad is the majority of the fans thinking anything released after 1992 is shit. 

They need to carry on taking a short term hit in ticket sales to build the new bands up. I honestly think it should move to a 2 day festival with a loaded top to bottom line up until there's a big enough pool to stop these repeats year after year 

And soad linkin park and blink would be really weak for a £220 3 day festival. 

Soad subbed reading after the last time they headlined download. Linkin Park are there every few years and have been headlining it for almost 15 years. Blink are overdue but it's not the same as giving a young band a shot. It's just not really good value when you've been more than 5 years as you've seen everything it has to offer. 

Ive gone the last few years as I've got freebies but wouldn't have bothered otherwise. Always have a good time except last year. That was a just a shit show in every sense 

People saying that SoaD, Blink and LP isn't worth £220 are missing the point.

That line up will attract big ticket sales due to the fact that people who grew up when those bands were big/grew up listening to them are in their teens and twenties, the age groups that make up most festival goers.

There's no doubt provided they've managed to get a decent undercard that it will sell loads of tickets, especially with no competition from any other UK festivals.

Based on BMTH last night at the o2 they could definitely headline. Enter Shikari looked like they could do it as well a few years down the line with a bit more commercial success. I think their next album will be the decider on how big they will get.

With Download I have done it twice and even though the last time I went was 4 years ago I don't feel like I've missed out on much. They need a big booking that they have never had before/haven't had in a very long time. Pearl Jam, Van Halen, Roger Waters, Foo Fighters, Blur or Green Day would be my suggestions although I understand Copping has been trying Van Halen for years now. 

It needs to do something new to attract new punters instead of just booking the same old acts year in year out. I'd also look to put some of the new growing bands high up on the bill so they can prove themselves and maybe headline in many years to come. Make Royal Blood/Enter Shikari sub headline, put a band with great live credentials but not a huge following like ghost on main stage. It just needs to be a bit more creative. They need to stop listening to the narrow minded guys on social media who just want metallica every year and start winning some new business.

My two cents anyway

4 hours ago, Muggy12345678 said:

You say that however blink haven't played Soad haven't played for years and if it's Linkin they haven't played in a while. I think ax7 and bmth could actually headline reading. It's trying to give new bands a chance it loves a duel headline slot would work perfectly for them

Linkin Park played in 2014

6 hours ago, Gozpot said:

That line up will attract big ticket sales due to the fact that people who grew up when those bands were big/grew up listening to them are in their teens and twenties, the age groups that make up most festival goers.

There's no doubt provided they've managed to get a decent undercard that it will sell loads of tickets, especially with no competition from any other UK festivals.

No they aren't, LP and and SOAD were booked in 2011 when LP were better than they are now, A7X subbed and it sold pretty poor......even SOAD's slot provided loads of space between people 

The reasons your giving are no different now to what they were then.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

No they aren't, LP and and SOAD were booked in 2011 when LP were better than they are now, A7X subbed and it sold pretty poor......even SOAD's slot provided loads of space between people 

The reasons your giving are no different now to what they were then.

Linkin Parks last album went down much better than anything they've released in 10 years, so you're wrong right away.

SoaD haven't played the UK in 2 years, 3 come download, there will be the demand.

I never mentioned A7x so I don't see where you've got that from.

My reasons are completely different, in 2011 I was too young to be able to go to a weekend festival but I would have gone to that and I know plenty of people my age or younger who would say the same.

Ive even had several friends who don't listen to metal say they're tempted by the Download France line up.

I see your logic but personally I don't think it would sell that well with the France line up and certainly not to extent it sold this year. I don't think blink or LP have done anything relevant for years and in case of LP they played 3 years ago and had to bill it as playing hybrid in full. DL was not busy that year and they're certainly not any more popular than 3 years ago.  As for blink, they probably appeal more to a Reading crowd. If it's A7 they also played in 14  and soad, never seen them but find them a bit samey. Group of around 12 of us went this year and apathy after france announcement suggests not many wouldn't d go back if that's the type of band being offered this year. Not all about headliners but for me I'd be pretty disappointed 

Edited by Red Day

8 minutes ago, Red Day said:

I see your logic but personally I don't think it would sell that well with the France line up and certainly not to extent it sold this year. I don't think blink or LP have done anything relevant for years and in case of LP they played 3 years ago and had to bill it as playing hybrid in full. DL was not busy that year and they're certainly not any more popular than 3 years ago.  As for blink, they probably appeal more to a Reading crowd. If it's A7 they also played in 14  and soad, never seen them but find them a bit samey. Group of around 12 of us went this year and apathy after france announcement suggests not many wouldn't d go back if that's the type of band being offered this year. Not all about headliners but for me I'd be pretty disappointed 

Blinks most recent album was their highest chart album ever and got to #1 in the albums chart.

Some people who would normally go to Reading would be tempted by this kind of line up.

This line up is fantastic for anyone under 30, which will sell them tickets but most people older than that will not be thrilled but saying it won't sell tickets is just wrong.

Much happier that they're seemingly giving Blink a chance rather than flogging the same old bands over and over again.

Metallica, Maiden etc won't be around forever and they need some other bands to be given headline status in that time or they will be up against it.

Edited by Gozpot

9 hours ago, Gozpot said:

This.

10 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Shame that LP didn't sell tickets last time they played (even with HT in full) & in 2011, when SOAD were playing their first UK show back from hiatus it was a quieter year too.

So, given these bands didn't attract big ticket sales the last time they played, when there was more demand you think for some reason things have changed & now people will be clamouring to see them? Odd logic.

1 hour ago, Gozpot said:

This line up is fantastic for anyone under 30, which will sell them tickets but most people older than that will not be thrilled but saying it won't sell tickets is just wrong.

Under 30? Are you assuming that people stop listening to new bands after they are 16? :blink:

Maybe between 28 and 40 is more the relevant age range!

32 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Surely they know that they are not major festival headliners anymore?

if they looked out from the stage in 2011 they would have seen that

I don't disagree.  Saw them last year and thry were really poor. I'd still think that in their minds they would consider themselves as a headline band though. The fact they're not maybe hasn't reached them yet

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

even SOAD's slot provided loads of space between people 

It was rammed for SOAD and A7X where I was. Admittedly this was in the "golden circle" but it was a fight to get in. When Serj told us we all looked beautiful to him I looked round and the hill looked busy enough. Not ACDC busy but most of the way there!

2 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Linkin Parks last album went down much better than anything they've released in 10 years, so you're wrong right away.

SoaD haven't played the UK in 2 years, 3 come download, there will be the demand.

I never mentioned A7x so I don't see where you've got that from.

My reasons are completely different, in 2011 I was too young to be able to go to a weekend festival but I would have gone to that and I know plenty of people my age or younger who would say the same.

Ive even had several friends who don't listen to metal say they're tempted by the Download France line up.

You keep telling yourself that. LP's last album has been forgotten about and I was a huge fan!.....seen them more than any other band.

I didn't say SOAD wouldn't have demand but it would still be a very poor double repeat booking.

I'm not saying you did I was just saying, they can't even sell their own tour well let alone another shit load of tickets. 

11 hours ago, Gozpot said:

They still try and cater for that market at Reading and Leeds though. Doesn't make sense to me to try and cut out the older demo and compete with its own festival. Pretty much why I'd be shocked if Sunday isn't GNR or Aerosmith.

if SOAD have a new album out (which i assume they will) it'll be a pretty great booking imo. it will've been six years since they last headlined, which is a bigger gap than even Glastonbury has had between some of it's headliners, and the first experience of the new material in a live environment for most in the UK

Linkin Park haven't seemed like a good headliner in absolute years. by 2011 they'd already become totally irrelevant - by 2014 it was just getting silly, complete with them having to do Hybrid Theory in full for it to not seem like a totally pointless booking 'cause nobody gave a shit about the new album they were promoting