Hart Attack

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Well I'm guessing if he has A7X and Alter Bridge and Steel Panther as some of his big hitters he'll probably wait till after their tours have finished or at least sold enough.

Don't see why he wouldn't be announcing SOAD though.

I don't mind a spot of A7X but twice in four years is giving me flashbacks of Leppard.

Surely, we can do better? Surely?

Imho aerosmith would be a dire booking. They've been playing almost the same set for decades and it'll be almost identical to their 14 performance which I felt was pretty stale.  14 didn't seem to sell that well whereas this year was a lot busier. If you book big hitters you get the crowds. Time will tell who he books, but I'd be pretty disappointed with soad, a7 and aerosmith 

15 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Imho aerosmith would be a dire booking.

That's fair but on paper, booking one of the biggest Rock Bands of the last 40 years, on their last tour, potentially their only UK show of that tour, meaning their last ever UK show would be an absolutely huge booking, personally i'm not hugely fussed about them but if they had SoaD and Aerosmith as two of the headliners that'd be good enough for me.

I'd be happy with SOAD - A7X - Aerosmith.  I missed DL2014 and regretted not going, so the repeat isn't an issue for me - if we're going for a repeat then hopefully it will be Rob Zombie subbing as well, he was awesome in London on Monday!! 

I don't understand why people get so upset about repeat headliners - there's only a limited pool of acts that will bring the crowds in.

2 hours ago, emilyjmj said:

I don't understand why people get so upset about repeat headliners - there's only a limited pool of acts that will bring the crowds in.

repeat headliners are fine, and inevitable with a festival like Download, but when they're repeating two headliners from just three years ago (a year after they did exactly the same thing) i can understand why people (especially regulars) would be a bit annoyed

unfortunately the pool of acts rising up to become headliners is slowing down increasingly in the metal world, and acts like Bullet for my Valentine, who for a period seemed like obvious future headliners (and were being pushed as such) just never made it, and for some reason Copping is reluctant to book Bring me the Horizon as a headliner despite them being the most assured heavy act currently around (or if stories are to be believed, booked them to headline but then decided to bump em down to sub in favour of another act). i'm sure others will have a better knowledge of this as i'm not as in the loop with heavy music as i once was, but there doesn't seem to be many acts ready to take that step up at the moment at all

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

repeat headliners are fine, and inevitable with a festival like Download, but when they're repeating two headliners from just three years ago (a year after they did exactly the same thing) i can understand why people (especially regulars) would be a bit annoyed

unfortunately the pool of acts rising up to become headliners is slowing down increasingly in the metal world, and acts like Bullet for my Valentine, who for a period seemed like obvious future headliners (and were being pushed as such) just never made it, and for some reason Copping is reluctant to book Bring me the Horizon as a headliner despite them being the most assured heavy act currently around (or if stories are to be believed, booked them to headline but then decided to bump em down to sub in favour of another act). i'm sure others will have a better knowledge of this as i'm not as in the loop with heavy music as i once was, but there doesn't seem to be many acts ready to take that step up at the moment at all

I think there is a very large pool of potential headliners who have yet to headline, Copping is just too scared to book them because the metal elitists will rage.

Blink-182, Green Day, Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, RHCP, BMTH, Bon Jovi, Queen, Rolling Stones, Van Halen all have never headlined and could be booked to headline.

SoaD, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard and Tool could all headline and haven't in atleast 5 years, 10 for Tool.

ADTR could end up as headliners if they carry on as they have been.

It might eventually get to the point where what constitutes a headliner has to be reduced and they will have to start booking maybe one massive band a year then two smaller bands like Korn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson etc as headliners.

The only two acts i can see becoming new headliners in the near future are BMTH and ADTR, don't really see FFDP, Steel Panther, Alter Bridge, BMFV, 30STM or YMAS making it big enough.

Copping also needs to make a point of booking bands that do reunion tours. He could have easily tried to book Led Zeppelin on their reunion tour 9 years ago, same with The Sex Pistols. RATM he did manage to get to be fair to him. 

18 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I think there is a very large pool of potential headliners who have yet to headline, Copping is just too scared to book them because the metal elitists will rage.

Blink-182, Green Day, Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, RHCP, BMTH, Bon Jovi, Queen, Rolling Stones, Van Halen all have never headlined and could be booked to headline.

SoaD, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard and Tool could all headline and haven't in atleast 5 years, 10 for Tool.

It might eventually get to the point where what constitutes a headliner has to be reduced and they will have to start booking maybe one massive band a year then two smaller bands like Korn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson etc as headliners.

The only two acts i can see becoming new headliners in the near future are BMTH and ADTR, don't really see FFDP, Steel Panther, Alter Bridge, BMFV, 30STM or YMAS making it big enough.

Copping also needs to make a point of booking bands that do reunion tours. He could have easily tried to book Led Zeppelin on their reunion tour 9 years ago, same with The Sex Pistols. RATM he did manage to get to be fair to him. 

Good post and I totally agree.  There are bands out there to headline rather than take 2/3 of you headliners from 3 years ago. It's one of the worlds top rock metal festivals, if not the top and it shouldn't be a major hassle to get the best to play it. GnR should be top priority along with Metallica who should now be able to give a fresh set with new material.  Get couple of the upcomers to co headline the Friday. A Biffy/ BMTH kinda thing 

1 hour ago, Gozpot said:

There's a massive list of established bands who haven't headlined Download that should have by now including Blink, Green Day, Pear Jam, Foos etc. who I agree should have headlined multiple times between them by now, but for whatever reason never have. If things are to be believed, Blink were supposed to headline in 2005 but split, so that's how Feeder ended up top of the bill. 

Bands like KoRn, Limp Bizkit (originally meant to headline in 2003?), Marilyn Manson, Deftones suffered never being able to make it to earlier status in the years between MOR and DL because there was no festival for them. Had DL been going in the late 90s / 00s, all of those bands would have headlined and all been definitely big enough to do so at the time. That would have been four other potential headliners that the festival would have at their disposal, but missed out on becoming so because of timing. Then you look at a band like Funeral For A Friend who were huge and second only to GNR at one point but just seemed to fall off a cliff. 

Then there are bands that are big enough already that will probably headline in future such as Paramore, QOTSA, Biffy. 

And the 'younger' bands like ADTR and FFDP, BMTH and 30STM who will all headline DL in future, I think. 

I definitely think that had BFMV not been so over exposed at Download in the years leading up to it, they could have taken a punt on them to headline in 2010 on the back of Fever had any of AC/DC, RATM or Aerosmith not been available (I know TCV were initially lined up to headline before DC came along). But it made more sense to go for those three if they were all willing because they're guaranteed sellers. However, BFMV alongside any two of those three would have still sold a tonne of tickets. The interest in Bullet was still there at that point and Fever was a decent enough third album. It's just a shame it never happened and that they released an absolute stinker of an album after that. 

And what Led Zep reunion tour? It was one date for a special cause; there is no way that can be seen as Zeppelin being available in 2007. 

Edited by Andre91

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There's a massive list of established bands who haven't headlined Download that should have by now including Blink, Green Day, Pear Jam, Foos etc. who I agree should have headlined multiple times between them by now, but for whatever reason never have. If things are to be believed, Blink were supposed to headline in 2005 but split, so that's how Feeder ended up top of the bill. 

Bands like KoRn, Limp Bizkit (originally meant to headline in 2003?), Marilyn Manson, Deftones suffered never being able to make it to earlier status in the years between MOR and DL because there was no festival for them. Had DL been going in the late 90s / 00s, all of those bands would have headlined and all been definitely big enough to do so at the time. That would have been four other potential headliners that the festival would have at their disposal, but missed out on becoming so because of timing. Then you look at a band like Funeral For A Friend who were huge and second only to GNR at one point but just seemed to fall off a cliff. 

Then there are bands that are big enough already that will probably headline in future such as Paramore, QOTSA, Biffy. 

And the 'younger' bands like ADTR and FFDP, BMTH and 30STM who will all headline DL in future, I think. 

I definitely think that had BFMV not been so over exposed at Download in the years leading up to it, they could have taken a punt on them to headline in 2010 on the back of Fever had any of AC/DC, RATM or Aerosmith not been available (I know TCV were initially lined up to headline before DC came along). But it made more sense to go for those three if they were all willing because they're guaranteed sellers. However, BFMV alongside any two of those three would have still sold a tonne of tickets. The interest in Bullet was still there at that point and Fever was a decent enough third album. It's just a shame it never happened and that they released an absolute stinker of an album after that. 

And what Led Zep reunion tour? It was one date for a special cause; there is no way that can be seen as Zeppelin being available in 2007.

Led Zep could have been convinced into a slot at Download im sure, had they really gone after them. There's been too many opportunities to get new headliners missed for the same old dinosaurs that turn up every 3/4 years, Unless Coping bucks his ideas up the festival has it's long term future in serious danger.

Give it 10 years and most the old reliables will have retired (Most but Metallica in all likelihood)

30STM wouldn't headline, FFDP won't ever make it, they've never really had a big hit, it's just Copping filling in the gap BFMV have left and they will likely end up the same. ADTR and BMTH are the only hopes for DL to bring through a new headliner in the next 5 years.

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I'm sure if they had thrown the budget at them they would have considered it and im sure Download probably did try to get them, why wouldn't they?

I'm sure every promoter in the world has tried to get them at some point by offering ridiculous amounts of money... It obviously isn't about the money for them.

You also said it was a 'reunion tour' & made it sound like Copping missed an opportunity- when in reality it was a 1 off charity gig that was never going to be anything more. 

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm sure every promoter in the world has tried to get them at some point by offering ridiculous amounts of money... It obviously isn't about the money for them.

You also said it was a 'reunion tour' & made it sound like Copping missed an opportunity- when in reality it was a 1 off charity gig that was never going to be anything more. 

Well seeing as i was 11/12 at the time i can't exactly recall it. I just knew the last time they played was 2007 and assumed it to be more than one show.

That headliner pool is going to be small in a few years though. Metal as a genre isn't dying out - but nor are many acts making the step up to that top tier. BMTH in the last two years, that's it, for an act yet to top one of the big six.

Copping must have some rubbish negotiating skills if he's failed to get so many others there over the years. Part of me wonders if it was still known as Monsters of Rock, if he'd have any more success. That name carried weight, like Reading's name. Download... doesn't.

Nothing to do with that at all. Bands like blink, Green Day etc couldn't give a monkeys about Monsters of Rock. If anything, he'd have less success by using that name as that name is even more linked with metal, which would put off the likes of Pearl Jam even more than they already are. 

At least now with bands like ADTR, BMTH etc they've had them in early from when they were smaller bands so they have some sort of relationship with Download that bands like blink, Green Day never did.

This time last year we were having the headliners announced, surely can be expecting an announcement soon, unless Copping is still struggling to get someone booked for the third headline slot.

SoaD are obviously very likely to be one of the headliners, the only band we have any actual evidence to support, which would be a good booking.

Aerosmith on a final tour and potentially final UK show would be a very good booking, unless of course he does book A7x aswell.

A7x i'm really hoping aren't one of them, nothing against them i just am not a huge fan, would much prefer another left field booking like Muse were, just to freshen things up and surprise us, however i won't get my hopes up.

Looking at things my ideal trio would be: SoaD/Aerosmith/Metallica

But realistically i've accepted it's probably: SoaD/Aerosmith/A7x

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I'd like something slightly surprising such as Paramore. 

SOAD / Paramore / Aerosmith would be a decent trio. 

Would be a good trio but would Copping would book Paramore now? The last album maybe went a bit too poppy for him to consider them, unless he got them doing a show predominantly of songs off the first 3 albums.

Edited by Gozpot

They're not gonna do a show of songs off the first 3 albums when they've got a new album coming out next year. Ultimately with Paramore you have to take it or leave it if you're Copping, yes, they're quite poppy now, but he's probably gonna book Fall Out Boy again at some point, isn't he? They're no worse/more poppy than Paramore are. The only difference with Paramore is save for a low appearance in 2005 or so, they've barely played and worked their way up the Download bill, so them suddenly headlining would be a big shock and blow to the knuckle head metal fan.

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

34 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Would be a good trio but would Copping would book Paramore now? The last album maybe went a bit too poppy for him to consider them, unless he got them doing a show predominantly of songs off the first 3 albums.

If I remember rightly, Copping said on the That's Not Metal podcast at the end of last year that he would like to book Paramore to headline and has also stated it somewhere this year. The new album has Josh Farro back so I'm hoping that it is a little more in keeping with the sound of Brand New Eyes*, at least. 

*Brand New Eyes is my favourite Paramore album :D