Download 2017

Hart Attack

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I just can't see them not doing Download. They love it, they've a new album to promote and they haven't played in a few years. I imagine the stadium tour will be later like in 2008 when they headlined R/L - play Download, announce stadium dates immediately afterwards 

I can't see them not playing either, but we've not had anything even remotely concrete regarding them being booked have we? It's more putting 2 and 2 together for 4 situation isn't it?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Black_Crow said:

No blink or Green Day, who would have thought it..

Is that you saying that their respective rumoured arena tour and BST show take them out? Because...

On 15/08/2016 at 4:42 PM, Black_Crow said:

Just a recap -

Reading/Leeds - Blink 182 - Prophets of Rage - ???

IOW - ??? - ??? - Green Day

Don't really think BST would affect Green Day doing Download given that FR booked them to do R+L the same year as a stadium date but the band no longer 'need' a UK festival to do now so they could obviously miss Download/IOW.

39 minutes ago, huntyyy said:

I would Imagine So.

Why is everyone so sure Green Day aren't playing Download? I'm not sure playing BST Hyde Park excludes them from playing

not everyone - just Black_Crow, who has already proven himself a thousand times over to know fuck all

Bring Me The Horizon potentially headlining R/L is interesting, although i wonder what Download headliner they consider themselves bigger than (and who swooped in to 'take' their headline spot)

Pretty sure that's actually in response to them being asked to sub Maiden this year. They were originally in talks to headline but got bummed off when Rammsteim said they'd play. I don't think they thought they were bigger than anyone, but were annoyed they got asked to headline, said yes, then suddenly Copping expected them to sub Maiden - which would've been a slot of death for them. 

1 hour ago, huntyyy said:

I would Imagine So.

Why is everyone so sure Green Day aren't playing Download? I'm not sure playing BST Hyde Park excludes them from playing

I think if they BST they don't play Download because BST needs a lot of time to shift tickets, and it would be the exact same period Download would be shifting them too. London isn't that far away if you're planning Download for a weekend and it doesn't make sense for their. There is a lot of people who will be like Green Day at Download 1st time like, but there will also be a lot who feel they are just past their prime and gone now....and most of them would be correct. I think the only other fest that they'll do is IOW with a Blur style announcement.

21 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Pretty sure that's actually in response to them being asked to sub Maiden this year. They were originally in talks to headline but got bummed off when Rammsteim said they'd play. I don't think they thought they were bigger than anyone, but were annoyed they got asked to headline, said yes, then suddenly Copping expected them to sub Maiden - which would've been a slot of death for them. 

Wow, they deferred their headline slot for a year and download screws them over again? Really sucks that Download won't give the biggest UK rock band that's coming through the chance to Headline. Download needs to stop booking those dinosaurs and give new talent a chance otherwise it's going to be its own downfall.

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think if they BST they don't play Download because BST needs a lot of time to shift tickets, and it would be the exact same period Download would be shifting them too. London isn't that far away if you're planning Download for a weekend and it doesn't make sense for their. There is a lot of people who will be like Green Day at Download 1st time like, but there will also be a lot who feel they are just past their prime and gone now....and most of them would be correct. I think the only other fest that they'll do is IOW with a Blur style announcement.

Fair points. However there aren't any Midlands dates of the UK Tour. The O2 will sell out in minutes, as will the other shows most likely. Announce them for Download before the end of September. Announce BST just before Christmas. I'd imagine there are enough Green Day fans in the UK, and that Green Day have a diverse enough fanbase, to justify them playing both. I'm sure a lot of Green Day fans wouldn't give Download a chance, and enough people who would attend Download to see Green Day on a more casual basis who wouldn't want to shell out £70 for a ticket (A la RHCP at Reading and Leeds this year. I doubt the audience at their Arena shows later this year will be as young as the audience at RandL, and that their playing RandL gave a younger and more casual audience a chance to see them for less than £80). Could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, huntyyy said:

Wow, they deferred their headline slot for a year and download screws them over again? Really sucks that Download won't give the biggest UK rock band that's coming through the chance to Headline. Download needs to stop booking those dinosaurs and give new talent a chance otherwise it's going to be its own downfall.

Fair points. However there aren't any Midlands dates of the UK Tour. The O2 will sell out in minutes, as will the other shows most likely. Announce them for Download before the end of September. Announce BST just before Christmas. I'd imagine there are enough Green Day fans in the UK, and that Green Day have a diverse enough fanbase, to justify them playing both. I'm sure a lot of Green Day fans wouldn't give Download a chance, and enough people who would attend Download to see Green Day on a more casual basis who wouldn't want to shell out £70 for a ticket (A la RHCP at Reading and Leeds this year. I doubt the audience at their Arena shows later this year will be as young as the audience at RandL, and that their playing RandL gave a younger and more casual audience a chance to see them for less than £80). Could be wrong.

Download won't, Copping said in an interview that if the big boys become available they have to get them. The thing is that if Copping actually gave someone big enough a chance then that one band who they said not this year to doesn't make another festival, Soni being their rival go ahead as you need more than just that one band. If there was two of them about and Download said no then that might be different.

I think BST would have to announce later than that, Download even with Metallica and Green Day won't just sell tons and tons that quick.....not when people know Copping drops the lineups in stages how he does so they can bide their time and not risk missing out.

I do have to say I was surprised at BMTH not being at Download at all this year and that would explain it. 

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Download won't, Copping said in an interview that if the big boys become available they have to get them. The thing is that if Copping actually gave someone big enough a chance then that one band who they said not this year to doesn't make another festival, Soni being their rival go ahead as you need more than just that one band. If there was two of them about and Download said no then that might be different.

That's it though isn't it. Download books the massive older bands because they're guaranteed ticket shifters, and if they don't book them then there's always the chance someone else might come along and put on a show/festival featuring those bands. And we know Download do it because they're afraid of Competition. If we had another rock/metal/alternative festival, say July time, we might see some more exciting lineups coming from Download and this other mystery festival because they'd each be branching out and trying to book some more leftfield or exciting acts to try and sell tickets.

This time last year I really, really thought that BMTH would headline Download 2016. Everything seemed perfect for it. The hype around TTS was immense and it just felt like the right time. It felt like it was the best chance they have had/would have to push a young British band up to that headliner status. I genuinely don't think that perfect timing will come around again for a long time. I remember being actively disappointed when Rammstein, Sabbth & Maiden were revealed as the headliners. 

If the talk is true and they were indeed asked to headline only to then later be asked to drop down to subs, fair play to the band for telling the festival where to go. If they end up headlining R&L next year at Download's expense then more fool Download for messing then about. If it is true, it wouldn't surprise me if they give Download the finger in future when they ask them to headline. They gave Kerrang! the finger and haven't had anything to do with them ever since. 

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

This time last year I really, really thought that BMTH would headline Download 2016. Everything seemed perfect for it. The hype around TTS was immense and it just felt like the right time. It felt like it was the best chance they have had/would have to push a young British band up to that headliner status. I genuinely don't think that perfect timing will come around again for a long time. I remember being actively disappointed when Rammstein, Sabbth & Maiden were revealed as the headliners. 

If the talk is true and they were indeed asked to headline only to then later be asked to drop down to subs, fair play to the band for telling the festival where to go. If they end up headlining R&L next year at Download's expense then more fool Download for messing then about. If it is true, it wouldn't surprise me if they give Download the finger in future when they ask them to headline. They gave Kerrang! the finger and haven't had anything to do with them ever since. 

Haha I remember very clearly lol, now I wouldn't question it, then I didn't see them at headline level. Rammstein was a late booking as well but that was another headliner pulling out just as Rammstein changed their mind on touring Europe.

16 minutes ago, huntyyy said:

That's it though isn't it. Download books the massive older bands because they're guaranteed ticket shifters, and if they don't book them then there's always the chance someone else might come along and put on a show/festival featuring those bands. And we know Download do it because they're afraid of Competition. If we had another rock/metal/alternative festival, say July time, we might see some more exciting lineups coming from Download and this other mystery festival because they'd each be branching out and trying to book some more leftfield or exciting acts to try and sell tickets.

Yup, Download produces shit because he knows regardless of how poor it is.....no one offers anything else for that genre overall better and that bands will sign for him over the Soni brand as it hasn't failed.

If there was another festival competing with him he'd have certainly actually booked replacements when Down and Motorhead ended up unable to play big slots for (obviously quite substantially) varying reasons. Funny thing is that he argued in an interview it's way better and fairer for the punters this way, whilst Download the brand simultaneously invades the French festival market to compete with Hellfest. Obviously he has nothing to do with that per se, but still hilariously hypocritical. 

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

If there was another festival competing with him he'd have certainly actually booked replacements when Down and Motorhead ended up unable to play big slots for (obviously quite substantially) varying reasons. Funny thing is that he argued in an interview it's way better and fairer for the punters this way, whilst Download the brand simultaneously invades the French festival market to compete with Hellfest. Obviously he has nothing to do with that per se, but still hilariously hypocritical. 

He's an arse, if I don't ever have to attend his festival again then I won't. I want to see SOAD again but if he had them it would need to be a good under card.....bang goes that option then.

Metallica / Limp Bizkit / Lamb Of God / Architects / Gojira / Crossfaith / Sepultura / (HED) P.E. 

Panic! at the Disco / Pierce The Veil 

Avenged Sevenfold / Five Finger Death Punch / Papa Roach / Jimmy Eat World / Coheed and Cambria / While She Sleeps / Cancer Bats / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Cane Hill 

Within Temptation / Opeth 

Guns 'N Roses / Black Stone Cherry / Volbeat / Ghost / Airbourne / Anthrax / Kvelertak / Turbowolf

Of Mice & Men / Asking Alexandria

With Limp Bizkit doing an arena tour with KoRn, I don't see why they couldn't sub, especially someone as strong as Metallica. And Of Mice & Men to finish before GNR start. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Metallica / Limp Bizkit / Lamb Of God / Architects / Gojira / Crossfaith / Sepultura / (HED) P.E. 

Avenged Sevenfold / Five Finger Death Punch / Papa Roach / Jimmy Eat World / Coheed and Cambria / While She Sleeps / Cancer Bats / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Cane Hill 

Guns 'N Roses / Black Stone Cherry / Volbeat / Ghost / Airbourne / Anthrax / Kvelertak / Turbowolf

With Limp Bizkit doing an arena tour with KoRn, I don't see why they couldn't sub, especially someone as strong as Metallica. And Of Mice & Men to finish before GNR start. 

Not even close

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

What arena tour is this?, but LB sub no, FFDP sub no, Papa Roach 3rd doubt......I love them but Copping really struggled to do that.

Lucky saying GNR aren't there regardless of how much Andy wants it, plus you have the strongest sub on the strongest day, they would be under A7X but either way it's shite but it is the weak lineup he would have to get to even try and convince Guns with the money. Multiple Wembley dates though is their earner.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What a horrible line up. And why would you think Limp Bizkit are the sub people would have trouble comprehending there?

Just because I imagine if they had both GNR and Metallica then the undercard would probably take a bit of a hit.

FFDP will sub next time they play as they're being pushed as future headliners. And after headlining the second stage twice, sub is the next option for BSC, who are also being pushed by Download as a big band for the future. 

Edited by Andre91

FFDP will sub next time they play as they're being pushed as future headliners. And after headlining the second stage twice, sub is the next option for BSC, who are also being pushed by Download as a big band for the future.

BSC latest tour has dropped down to smaller venues & standing hasn't even sold out for Manchester! They're on the way back down in terms of popularity, probably due to them constantly touring & playing over here. If Copping pushes them up to sub it's going massively against the tide of public popularity.