Hart Attack

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/17/2016 at 10:56 PM, dentalplan said:

Is that in addition to the thing that's on the Download Forums? Coming thick and fast. If it's this much of an apparent open-secret then...

*faces mirror*

@luckysalt @luckysalt @luckysalt

:P

Why do they keep calling them "the gunners" by the way? Never heard them referred to as that.

Just logged on for the first time in a while, haven't been reading this thread either, but was notified of this post as I logged in

So yeah, that website is bollocks and GNR are, as things stand right now, not playing Download next year. I very much doubt this will change. Despite Copping wishing it would. But never say never, look at Rammstein this year. 

On 8/21/2016 at 7:07 PM, Andre91 said:

Really awful news that Architect's guitarist Tom Searle has passed away after battling cancer aged 28. Truly sad stuff. No age at all. RIP. 

Awful news, is this why they pulled out this year? They're a fantastic band, saw them at Slam Dunk 2015. 

Such a shame.

8 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Awful news, is this why they pulled out this year? They're a fantastic band, saw them at Slam Dunk 2015. 

Such a shame.

They pulled out due to a 'family emergency' so I'm assuming it was due to Tom's cancer. 

I'm still yet to see them but I'm a huge fan. I'm hoping to catch them in Nottingham on the upcoming tour. 

Just now, Andre91 said:

They pulled out due to a 'family emergency' so I'm assuming it was due to Tom's cancer. 

I'm still yet to see them but I'm a huge fan. I'm hoping to catch them in Nottingham on the upcoming tour. 

I read a post by his brother that said they pulled out of the festival tour because he took a bad turn and was place into a coma, doctors said he would likely never awake from it but did around a week later then as time passed he didn't improve.

On 24/08/2016 at 0:00 AM, luckysalt said:

Just logged on for the first time in a while, haven't been reading this thread either, but was notified of this post as I logged in

So yeah, that website is bollocks and GNR are, as things stand right now, not playing Download next year. I very much doubt this will change. Despite Copping wishing it would. But never say never, look at Rammstein this year. 

The website got the information from the band rather than the promoter.

2 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Given them kicking off at the promoters after Reading I'm guessing Download is a no go.

I wonder what that is all about? 

Any new rumours on the Download front, anyone? I really think I'm going to go for DL instead of Leeds in 2017 after this year. Leeds really has changed too much for my liking. I like Rock and Metal, and that has less and less of a place at R&L year on year. This year has been the worst for it since I've been going (2010) and it sold the best it has since then, so it shows that the lineup style of this year is a money maker for them. 

It isn't just the lineup, though. I felt really old this year. I'm 23 and the amount of 16/17 year olds talking to me was unreal. I haven't got time for their bucket hats or Nike satchels full of MD or being told how The Stone Roses are the best band ever and how Architects aren't a metal band (that one sent me on a proper rant). I also don't have time for DJs playing the same house music every night until 6am. Even Piccadilly who usually blast some bangers played noticeably less rock and metal this year in place of Sigma and Mambo Number Bloody Five. COME ON. 

Don't get me wrong, I like CHVRCHES and The Vaccines, but they're nothing for me to get excited about. Not when I know I can go to Download and see lots of bands I haven't seen before and be excited for a lot more heavier acts who I have seen before.  

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I wonder what that is all about? 

Any new rumours on the Download front, anyone? I really think I'm going to go for DL instead of Leeds in 2017 after this year. Leeds really has changed too much for my liking. I like Rock and Metal, and that has less and less of a place at R&L year on year. This year has been the worst for it since I've been going (2010) and it sold the best it has since then, so it shows that the lineup style of this year is a money maker for them. 

It isn't just the lineup, though. I felt really old this year. I'm 23 and the amount of 16/17 year olds talking to me was unreal. I haven't got time for their bucket hats or Nike satchels full of MD or being told how The Stone Roses are the best band ever and how Architects aren't a metal band (that one sent me on a proper rant). I also don't have time for DJs playing the same house music every night until 6am. Even Piccadilly who usually blast some bangers played noticeably less rock and metal this year in place of Sigma and Mambo Number Bloody Five. COME ON. 

Don't get me wrong, I like CHVRCHES and The Vaccines, but they're nothing for me to get excited about. Not when I know I can go to Download and see lots of bands I haven't seen before and be excited for a lot more heavier acts who I have seen before.  

Now you see why I stopped after 2012 and I was 26, I basically went in 12 as well as we got pre-sales a year in advance being fairly confident Foo's would be there and it turned out to be a decent year for headliners and subs actually. I found enough bands to see but there was also many I could take or leave...then in 13 I really didn't want it to be Green Day although overall that was the best day on main stage with for me Saturday NME being the best but bar that it didn't bother me, and it kind of just carried on. They have at the end of the day gone on to book more dance and dance varied acts and that is what sells. It is as I have said before a fair bit a festival booked for primarily a school leaver before going to college/6th form and just about leaving there to Uni lol and the £50 deposit is probably a massive reason for them so they can afford it. You want from the festival what it isn't anymore, scene's have changed and times have changed, when you were a bit younger it was different. They won't ever go back as heavy as they have before as they know Download caters for it and it never sells out, it doesn't do well enough for dual sites to even rely on Reading. Last year was my favorite year for a long time overall in lineup wise but I got bored of it.....I have with a lot of festivalling now to be honest, I have enjoyed the days at 2000 Trees and Victorious much more recently and I much preferred it when I did a day at Download instead of weekend.

Horses for courses. You don't need to commit to either festival until you have seen the line up. No rush. They are different beasties though. If Download was in the holidays it would have the same kind of crowd as L/R. I'm glad it isn't but I still enjoy Leeds and I've racked up a half century! It is what it is and when they book the likes of Metallica and SOAD then that's good enough for me. There's still plenty of good stuff on most of the time. There are far worse festivals than Leeds. I know, I drive past them to get there :)

Yer man Zegut wrote on his blog (translated) "Green Day Download 2017 headliner?" (note the question mark, usually means a rumour rather than something solid) and when one person commented (again, translated) "France or England?" someone else commented "both, with Metallica".

Not saying it means anything and can't verify how credible the second commenter is but it's just something to ponder while we don't have much else. It would be kind of overdue for Green Day to headline but I was strongly under the impression that IOW would snap 'em up. Perhaps that's the double-site paying off.

Also Nova Rock, who usually share a bunch with Download, announce before the end of this month. Not the same weekend this time though.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yer man Zegut wrote on his blog (translated) "Green Day Download 2017 headliner?" (note the question mark, usually means a rumour rather than something solid) and when one person commented (again, translated) "France or England?" someone else commented "both, with Metallica".

Not saying it means anything and can't verify how credible the second commenter is but it's just something to ponder while we don't have much else. It would be kind of overdue for Green Day to headline but I was strongly under the impression that IOW would snap 'em up. Perhaps that's the double-site paying off.

Also Nova Rock, who usually share a bunch with Download, announce before the end of this month. Not the same weekend this time though.

well guess it makes sense for them to try for them eventually what with the dwindling amount of metal/hard rock headliners and the ever groaning attendees because of the repeat headliners (although i'm sure if Green Day are one and Metallica are the other then the third will be something uninspiring/shit like A7X)

52 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oh that's pretty cool, then. Green Day would be a great booking for Download. Alongside Metallica and A7X that would be a really awesome set of headliners. A lighter/pop punk ire day for Green Day would sell by the bucketload too, I think. 

Green Day / Weezer / Jimmy Eat World / Papa Roach / Coheed and Cambria / Against Me! / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Creeper 

Green Day / Weezer / Jimmy Eat World / Papa Roach / Coheed and Cambria / Against Me! / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Creeper 

Of Mice & Men / Asking Alexandria / While She Sleeps 

The Dillinger Escape Plan / Baroness 

Avenged Sevenfold / Five Finger Death Punch / Lamb Of God / Architects / Gojira / Cancer Bats / Crossfaith / Sepultura / Cane Hill 

Within Temptation / Opeth / Social Distortion 

letlive. / Every Time I Die 

Metallica / Misfits (very special guests) / Volbeat / Ghost / Airbourne / Anthrax / Kvelertak / Turbowolf 

Panic! at the Disco / Pierce The Veil / Issues 

Mayhem / Satyricon

Yeah I could see that. I don't see it being The Offspring as they were playing festivals all around Download this year and did their own shows in UK but someone else that would be a pitiful sub like Shikari or Bullet. They don't really need to dress up a day that Green Day are playing, they can stick whoever on before and it'll sell just as well.

Anyone thinking Green Day are a great headliner is sadly mistaken. They were one on my bucket list and I was hugely excited to see them at Leeds in 2013. I had waited for decades for it. I drove 800 miles for it. It was shit. Bland, boring , repititive, contrived, faked shit. I was so disappointed I walked away before they even played their best songs. I couldn't take anymore. The only band I'd ever walked away from before that was Pete Doherty's Babyshambles. They were probably worse than that. I really don't know if I could give them a second chance after that level of disappointment. Over 10 years too late.

5 minutes ago, devilman said:

Anyone thinking Green Day are a great headliner is sadly mistaken. They were one on my bucket list and I was hugely excited to see them at Leeds in 2013. I had waited for decades for it. I drove 800 miles for it. It was shit. Bland, boring , repititive, contrived, faked shit. I was so disappointed I walked away before they even played their best songs. I couldn't take anymore. The only band I'd ever walked away from before that was Pete Doherty's Babyshambles. They were probably worse than that. I really don't know if I could give them a second chance after that level of disappointment. Over 10 years too late.

whether the performance would be all that is yet to be seen, but as a booking? it'd be a great one for Download, who with the very few acts rising up the ranks to become headliners in their own right are in desperate need of branching out a little to the headliners currently available (Muse last year was another example of this), and would also be a huge ticket seller

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Of Mice & Men / Asking Alexandria / While She Sleeps 

The Dillinger Escape Plan / Baroness 

Tbh man, that just looks like a Reading lineup and won't happen there. I'd quite like it tbh without Green Day, Download also won't have a day that strong.