Sunday Headliner confirmed - Coldplay

Glastobuddy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

Personally (as someone who really likes the new album) it's a fab setlist for me. I love the mix of songs. How do you know for sure this will be the setlist anyway?

Well you don't but it's heavily tilted towards the latest albums which are bloody awful (in my opinion and all that).

59 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Much as I hate defending the coldplays i reckon they're savvy enough to play more of their 'hits' at glastonbury. 

They played a pretty new album heavy set the last time they played, and that was before the album had even come out! Maybe one or two 'hits' to please the masses, but it's not as if this new album or theirs is unknown - it's done very well. People will lap it up 

1 hour ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I've liked Coldplay's changing sounds over the years - from Parachutes to now. A brilliant setlist for me. Suppose if you're someone who only liked Parachutes it's bad 

Like I said previously, I enjoyed everything up to and including Viva La Vida, I think everything since has been absolutely toilet. They lost their charm and embraced the MOR pop-crap direction people like me used to play down when defending them against their many detractors. 

Viva La Vida (the song) was the last great thing they did. Since then they've produced nothing which gets close to matching God Put A Smile, Amsterdam, Don't Panic, Speed of Sound, See You Soon or Shiver (still the best thing they've ever done). 

Coldplay are a easy target and I take no pleasure in sticking the boot in but that setlist sums up everything that's gone wrong with them in recent years.

There's no definite that it will be anything like that setlist they do at Glastonbury. Considering it'll be to promote their new album though, they are going to do minimum classics from albums past I'm assuming. It must be hard when you've got a big back catalogue of songs and only an half and a half to try and please everyone 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I personally have enjoyed all their albums since they started. I've like them since I was 15 (31 now). Different sounds yes. More poppy yes. Gone rubbish, no (in my opinion and all that). Their latest album isn't their best work of all but I love Fun, Hymn for The Weekend, Everglow, Army of One and of course their popular one with the monkey video. I think Coldplay are another band that people love to hate on here because they have 'sold out' to some I case

I'm only a couple of years older than you so given the negligible distance in between I'd say we were listening to each album at roughly the same age.

When Viva La Vida came out I was a proper champion of it, after X&Y being a bit hit and miss I thought it was a much tighter and more interesting album. It wasn't as radio-friendly (aside from the big single) and it looked like they might be moving in a more interesting direction. It just think it all went wrong after that. It's no so much 'selling out' as they were already a massive commercial success, but more that they abandoned what looked to be the more creative direction they were heading. 

Good to hear you're still enjoying them and you'll no doubt have a great time on the Sunday, I'm probably just a bit bitter that it's another option crossed off the list for Sunday which is already looking a bit sparse :( 

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

So the c**ts have decided it's heroes they are going to rape. Even after bowie explicitly said he thinks they are complete and utter shit.

Absolutely shameless, narcissistic c**ts.

You aren't wrong

It makes you wonder how fucking shit something like Station to Station would have been if it were a Coldplay album

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not going to defend the 'Play, here, but Heroes is an obvious one for them to do. It's not like they were ever gonna cover Baby Universal or Little Wonder.

I suspect I may be sick of Bowie covers before the weekend is out.

I'm really hoping to see Art Garfunkel tackle Little Wonder.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not going to defend the 'Play, here, but Heroes is an obvious one for them to do. It's not like they were ever gonna cover Baby Universal or Little Wonder.

I suspect I may be sick of Bowie covers before the weekend is out.

Ah I think I was just moaning at how shite it was - obviously they'll do a popular one. To be honest if Chris Martin HAS to do something, I'd rather he just played the piano intro to Life On Mars before a song or sommat. Adding some kind of pseudo-dance beat to Heroes is dreadful. 

Since Bowie passed, you appreciate how effing difficult it is to pull off one of his songs. I don't think I've seen one *nail* it, it says a lot that making it 'decent' is a complement. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Adele tackling Under Pressure in duet with a Bowie hologram will be the highlight of the weekend.

Apparently the Bowie hologram has gone sentient / rogue and is working on a junglist version of Les Miserables with the Tupac hologram and the puppets from the Gorillaz live shows.

• 1 month later...