Swedish Log Candles

Sawdusty surfer

43 minutes ago, Ovechkin said:

as a swede, why are they called swedish log candles? never seen or heard about them before this thread :D

Calling them 'Swedish Log Candles'is actually a misnomer. It is said that they were developed in Scandinavia so that a cooking/heating fire could be lit on snow covered ground without the fire melting the snow and putting the fire out.

As it happens,  when the Vikings invaded Somerset they found some very clever cider drinkers living on the semi permanently flooded Somerset Levels who had found a very clever way to keep a fire going in a few inches of flood water. The Viking invaders stole the idea and claimed it for themselves.

Clearly they should really be called Somerset Log Candles. :)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a shame about the candles @Sawdusty Surfer , but hey, at least you arent missing the festival - my kids loved their candle last year, though I didnt love lugging it around site all night, thanks for storing mine for a bit... oh, and i have a photo of you I took at dawn while bimbling sunday morning..... lemme dig it out :) 

Edited by funkyuk
found it

2 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Cripes... ...

1) I don't look very approachable

2) I don't recognise this part of the festival 

3)It is clearly is me and not a doppleganger

4)I have no recollection of the Sunday morning at all.

5)Thanks for that.....maybe :)

I haven't a clue where that is either but that's a mighty fine log hat you have there.  Glad you can still make the festival even if you can't sell log candles :) 

On 10 June 2016 at 8:57 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Cripes... ...

1) I don't look very approachable

2) I don't recognise this part of the festival 

3)It is clearly is me and not a doppleganger

4)I have no recollection of the Sunday morning at all.

5)Thanks for that.....maybe :)

Ah Sawdusty I just wrote a long old message to you but then it said you can't receive messages. Do you have an alternate way I could get hold of you? 

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, morph100 said:

They ok for campervan fields? Still planning on a delivery round on Tuesday night? If so then yes Deffo one or two of these please! (Cv east)

They are allowed in CV fields and I should be able to deliver on the Tuesday evening. 

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
tpyo

20 hours ago, morph100 said:

Brilliant I will discuss with my group how many we need, how much are they?

Not sure yet but to you lot on here no more than a tenner, probably a couple of quid less. Got to price up timber. 

( Crazy but true, Brexit causes pound to fall, oil/gas prices go up due to exchange rate change, firewood prices inflate accordingly so so do raw timber prices in the UK!)

I don't normally condone any kind of exclusivity but eFesters get a cheaper rate than normal people. :)