2016 - Any help or advice needed ?

ramragon

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been to KC before so wanted to check if they have trolleys for hire? We like our comfort being over 40 so our gear is pretty heavy. If they do have them are they any good or should we invest in our own (if so pointing me towards a good thread for this would be much appreciated)?

Thanks in advance :D

On 3/6/2016 at 3:45 PM, Lululime said:

Not been to KC before so wanted to check if they have trolleys for hire? We like our comfort being over 40 so our gear is pretty heavy. If they do have them are they any good or should we invest in our own (if so pointing me towards a good thread for this would be much appreciated)?

Thanks in advance :D

We used the trolleys first time we came, £40 hire but you get £20 (if you can find someone at the end of the festival!) they're not very good to be honest, more like a canvas wheel barrow than a trolley. not sure if they have changed over the last few years though but if they're still the same I'd be tempted to invest in one yourselves

• 2 weeks later...

My festival trolley was purchased approx 40 festivals ago, including many glastonbury festivals.  It cost £15 from B&Q, it got a puncture once.  There arfe about £25 these days, but often on sale at £20 or £15 - standard sack truck with pneumatic tyres.  Couldnt be more highly recommended - but there are loads of trolley threads in the Glastonbury forums - where the art of trolley manufacture/selection and use is somewhat of an art!!!

• 1 month later...

The Glow Tent and a couple of other smaller venues go on til 3am from memory, but they clear out the arena pretty sharpish after that.  Have only ever camped in Emporers, but it was pretty quiet at that time in the morning!

36 minutes ago, alexfc94 said:

Thanks! Do you know if the festival will release a timetable/clashfinder before the it kicks off? Nothing worse than getting to a festival and realising most of the bands you want to see clash

Nah, nothing at all...they released stage splits in advance but no times last year...you only get to know times when you buy an official lanyard when you get on site...another way for them to get even more money out of you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2016 at 3:57 PM, ramragon said:

I guess after how well used the last few years threads have been its probably time to start one for this year.

if anyone has any questions they wanna ask about Kendal Calling or need some advice or clarification on something then fire away. It doesn't matter how trivial you think the question is im sure you'll get a response. Nobody on here works for the festival so the answers you'll get are based on our experiences going to it over past years. Don't hit us if we're slightly wrong though as the rules, layouts and plans change a lot

Plus if any non members want to join to ask anything please feel free. The more the merrier

Helllooooo Its my first year at KC, I do Glastonbury every year but wanted a change. We have tickets for the party campsite. Did I make a mistake? will it be full of kids? I am 34 and bf is 31 we don't have kids with us and love a good party atmosphere but i don't fancy a camp full of only 17 - 22/23  year old's. Going on our own for first time ever as we normally go in big group so if any like minded couples fancy meeting up for drinks and making new friends let me know :) thanks :) xx 

3 hours ago, emily-s-1981 said:

Helllooooo Its my first year at KC, I do Glastonbury every year but wanted a change. We have tickets for the party campsite. Did I make a mistake? will it be full of kids? I am 34 and bf is 31 we don't have kids with us and love a good party atmosphere but i don't fancy a camp full of only 17 - 22/23  year old's. Going on our own for first time ever as we normally go in big group so if any like minded couples fancy meeting up for drinks and making new friends let me know :) thanks :) xx 

yes the 'party' area is 16-21 year olds but they only ask where you're intending on camping to give them an idea on area sizes so you'll be able to camp in any of the main camping areas. where you come in at the main entrance you'll go down the hill then look to your left, that first 50-100 yards tends to have the 30's/40's crowds in, families further on. the party area is to the right, next to the arena entrance and has a permanent mushroom crowd over it which is 45% lynx, 45% narcotics and 10% you don't even want to think about it

16 hours ago, Stretchryan said:

Whats the best way to get to the festival from London? Is there any dedicated bus service for the festival?

Recently lost my job so trying to save a few quid. Was gonna get the train up. 

Any advice appreciated.

Rgds

Bus probably cheaper but worth a quick look at train price return to penrith. 

My Mrs got the train down from Glasgow couple of years back for 13 quid. The sites not that far from the station and I think there might be a shuttle bus???? 

Hopefully someone else might can help with info on that.

Hi we use the train.... if you go on the KC website there's a link to virgin trains to get 25%off . They have direct trains so no changes I'm sure there is one fro London but not sure which station. The shuttle bus from Penrith was fab last year we got off the train straight on the bus and only a 15 min journey to site . Tickets are £11 online ( I've just bought ours ) Hope this helps x

Hi

This will be our 4th time at Kendal but first time in the live-in vehicle camping area and that's where my query lies...

We're bringing our 19 year old son and his friends who have Emperor's Field tickets so if I drive the van to the Emperor's field entrance to drop him off can I easily get to the live in field area? Or if I drive to the live-in field can you get to the Emperor's field by foot and get your wrist band?

Also, is it possible to put a tent up in the live in field as we've a friend who's meeting us there and we wanted to camp together.

Thanks

Rob 

Edited by robskyd

hi - i stayed in live in vehicle one year - you are driving in a different way to emperor - you wont be able to drop him off and get back round easily i'm afraid. everyone in the vehicle has to have the correct ticket for the field that they are in - so he will prob not be allowed to continue with you in your van to the live in field. he could walk to his check in point - you could keep his gear - then walk to meet him to help him with it. although you wont be able to get right into emperor field itself with your live in wrist band!!   you cant officially put up a tent in the live in field - but you have an allocated marked out square on which to park - so as long as your 'awning' fits in the square  - then ok. but your friend wont have the live in field wrist band........ you have some complicated logistics going on!

Thanks Goldiegrey

I'm pretty sure the live in and normal camping wrist bands are the same. 

I'll have a look to see if there's a drop off area and maybe leave them there and, like you say, take his kit in the van and meet up with him later. 

they are filthy muddy showers (maybe nice on day one - but who gets as shower on day one?) they are literally a row of showers in the back of a massive wagon trailer,small space to get changed - minging curtain hanging. but at least the water is warm! - and the toilets are compost loos - which i prefer to portaloos - air flows around you as they are more open  - but still they are just a long drop over a wheelie bin full of compost

Edited by goldiegrey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Kendal Calling and Festival virgin here! But very excited about all of this.

What are the prices like in the festival site?

Beer, food, etc.

I'm obviously bringing a little bit of alcohol myself :P but when in the arena what are the prices like?

Also food. What do most people do, buy onsite or cook at campsite. If you cook at campsite any hints and tips.

We are staying in two bell tents, 7 young at heart female colleagues. Has anyone any experience of the bell tents, toilets and washing facilities there?

And what about mobile phones? Whats the best way to recharge. At home I charge mine up every night. Is it worth just buying a cheap phone and bringing disposable cameras or will my samsung s5 last if I use it sparingly.

PS I'm under no illusion that the washing facilities will not be like a shower at home, baby wipes have already been bought! :D

Thanks.