Dissertation Survey

DissertationBucks

I am focusing my dissertation on Crowd Behaviour specifically focusing on riots. This is predominately the Leeds and Reading Riots, even though I am aware this is the Glastonbury chat. 

If you have been to either festival and have witnessed or participated could you please take the time to fill in this short survey.Your responses are much appreciated and are confidential.

https://surveyplanet.com/56ae1cfb4bd6c09664557783

Thank you J

I still don't get the whole survey thing. Noone did surveys when I was at university. We did mind boggling amounts of dull research and reading and reading and note taking and reading and spent entire nights trying to fathom how to write footnotes properly. Which is some sort of occultist fucking art, by the way.

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I still don't get the whole survey thing. Noone did surveys when I was at university. We did mind boggling amounts of dull research and reading and reading and note taking and reading and spent entire nights trying to fathom how to write footnotes properly. Which is some sort of occultist fucking art, by the way.

I was suppossed to do a physical survey (ie.asking people in person on the street) for my geography A level (Spatial patterns of retail activity). This led me to Evesham one day. I travelled all the way from Birmingham on a number of buses. I used to be painfully shy so asking people to stop on the street was always going to be difficult. To cut a long story short I asked two or three people and made up the hundreds of other survey results. I recall that it got dark on the bus home and that I was the only passenger on the bus. Then I remember my mate having asked me if I'd ever had a w*nk on a bus - I hadn't. Anyway, to cut a long story short i went for it. I think I lasted all the way from outside of Evesham until Alcester - and that's not bad going by anybody's standards.

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I was suppossed to do a physical survey (ie.asking people in person on the street) for my geography A level (Spatial patterns of retail activity). This led me to Evesham one day. I travelled all the way from Birmingham on a number of buses. I used to be painfully shy so asking people to stop on the street was always going to be difficult. To cut a long story short I asked two or three people and made up the hundreds of other survey results. I recall that it got dark on the bus home and that I was the only passenger on the bus. Then I remember my mate having asked me if I'd ever had a w*nk on a bus - I hadn't. Anyway, to cut a long story short i went for it. I think I lasted all the way from outside of Evesham until Alcester - and that's not bad going by anybody's standards.

Kudos Yog. Kudos.

I spent about 45 minutes stood in a river in the New Forest making measurements to draw river profiles to test some fucking stupid hypothesis about a relationship between the amplitude of meadering rivers and the local geology. Sacked it off and made the rest up in the pub. Nice pubs in the New Forest. Got an A for my Geography A level for that rubbish. Also did well in Geology A level partly by getting so drunk at Lulworth Cove I nearly wet myself on the coach home and doing my fold formation sketches by sketching sketches of other peoples sketches sketched in text books in the college library the next day. I was so desperate for a piss on the way home I told Becky G to fuck off and leave me alone (in my own personal desperate for a piss HELL)  despite having fancied her for about 5 years and her choosing that moment to decide to sit with me and actually deem me worthy of being spoken to. Bless her. She did look a lot like Tom Cruise. In girl form. Still does.

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Kudos Yog. Kudos.

I spent about 45 minutes stood in a river in the New Forest making measurements to draw river profiles to test some fucking stupid hypothesis about a relationship between the amplitude of meadering rivers and the local geology. Sacked it off and made the rest up in the pub. Nice pubs in the New Forest. Got an A for my Geography A level for that rubbish. Also did well in Geology A level partly by getting so drunk at Lulworth Cove I nearly wet myself on the coach home and doing my fold formation sketches by sketching sketches of other peoples sketches sketched in text books in the college library the next day. I was so desperate for a piss on the way home I told Becky G to fuck off and leave me alone (in my own personal desperate for a piss HELL)  despite having fancied her for about 5 years and her choosing that moment to decide to sit with me and actually deem me worthy of being spoken to. Bless her. She did look a lot like Tom Cruise. In girl form. Still does.

Nice result on the geography A level Woffy. I rather believe they saw through my lack of effort - I think I got a D (and we all know what that stands for).

As to the desperation for a piss on a travelling vehicle I know exactly the pain you went through - and possibly a bit more. I once agreed to go on a coach to London leaving from an Irish pub in Digbeth, Birmingham. The pub opened up early for us at about 8am (this was back in the days when it was very naughty to do such a thing). Anyway, we spent about two hours drinking there then got on the coach and drank more. There was no toilet on the coach and the driver was stopping for nobody. I desperately needed a piss so pissed in to an empty bottle of wine. However, I needed to piss much more than this empty bottle could take, so I had to hold on to the rest. When we arrived in Kilburn that afternoon i literally (to my shame) got off the coach with my lad in my hand pissing. people walking by on the pavement had to scurry out of my way as I headed for the nearest wall to complete the task in hand.

We had a very high up female member of staff (in my old job) who looked exactly (as in not just a little bit) like Harry Potter (and boy was she evil). She was doing a brief one day when a member of the admin staff saw her ID card and declared to all that 'you look just like Harry Potter'. To this day i don't know whether the admin staff member knew what she was doing or whether they were just completely not there. Anyway, this was suppossed to have some relevance to Becky G, but I've forgotten my own thread of thinking now.

When I was in the sixth form my school in Bristol took out a lease on a derelict forestry cottage in Tintern to convert into a field studies centre.  Those of us doing 'A' level Geography and Geology went over at weekends to work on the reconstruction.

Down the hill was a great pub, which became our evening centre.  It was a couple of miles from the nearest village so no one worried about under-age drinkers and I think we kept the pub going.

I returned there last year, nearly 50 years on to discover that the pub was still in business and serves excellent food.  So now it's a regular trip for Mrs GH and I and various family members.

We also surveyed the woods, streams, water courses and geology but the tasting sessions of Hancocks beers had far more of a lasting impression.

Another piss in a bottle on a bus story for your dissertation. One summer I ran completely out of money and ending up living and working at a Hare Krishna temple in exchange for board and lodge. They often had outreach concerts all over the country- on my 2nd day there they had a 12 hour gig in Aberdeen of all places. So at 6am, after making the mistake of drinking copious amounts of their sweet tea, I climbed into the minibus with all the monks, I sat at the very back by the window next to one of them dressed in all orange. As soon as we got going they all started chanting the 'Hare Krishna' chant as they do. After about an hour of this, some of them  at the back of the bus had dozed off, including the one sitting next to me, whilst the rest of the bus continued chanting. I however was cowering in the corner absolutely bursting for a piss. I knew I couldn't last it out but wasn't sure what my options were. For a start, I didn't want to wake the guy next to me up just so I could get out and ask the driver to pull over for my piss, secondly I didn't want to stop the rest of them mid chant - as I was new to the faith I wasn't really sure if it was like sleep walking and if I interrupted them halfway through they might go into shock or be offended at the least, and thirdly I knew none of their names as they were all hard to remember like Krishna names. After 10 mins of desperation I remembered I had a bottle of even more sweet tea in my bag, I slyly opened a gap in the window next to me and pored the tea out. Amid all the chanting, I then covertly had the most relieving pisses of my life so far, keeping an eye that the monk next to me didn't wake up mid stream. I then disposed of the evidence by poring it back out the window out onto the A90. Luckily there weren't any cars nearby to see a chanting bus of Hare Krishnas with pee flying out the window speeding past. Anyway, hope this helps with your degree.