OnBlackheath Festival 2016

DDave

I'm quite liking Lonelady's stuff - but she looks like she'll be getting the worst of the weather at 4:00. Roisin could go either way - sometimes brilliantly bonkers live, but the material is a bit weak.

Thundercat clash is a bit shit .... don't get me started on Sunday.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DiscothequeDave Did you manage to shift the tickets in the end?

I was going to pick up weekend tickets last minute (was offered two weekend tickets for £100, roughly the 2-4-1 price which is fair) but not sure I love Hot Chip enough to brave the rain on Saturday. I might still grab a ticket for Sunday but it would really only be for Belle & Sebastian, would have loved to warm up for them with a bit of Craig Charles but wasn't to be.

5 minutes ago, schoolyb said:

I was going to pick up weekend tickets last minute (was offered two weekend tickets for £100, roughly the 2-4-1 price which is fair) but not sure I love Hot Chip enough to brave the rain on Saturday. I might still grab a ticket for Sunday but it would really only be for Belle & Sebastian, would have loved to warm up for them with a bit of Craig Charles but wasn't to be.

The CraigCharles B&S clash is a pity.

With B&S getting 90mins I`ll probably need a quick bar / toilet run. If the layout allows I might be tempted to have a 10 minute swerve into craig charles.

Looking forward to James in the sunset. Looks like theyre getting 75mins which is less time than they would normally play for. Whats the betting they have a bit of a shambolic end involving an argument with the stage manager before they rattle in to Laid much to his annoyance.

Just gave Hey Ma a spin. Forgotten how much I like it. Hope they play a couple of tunes from it.

Last time I saw them was in Glasgow and they started with Out to get you. They`ve opened with it since so I`m hoping they go with that again. Nice starter :)

46 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

The CraigCharles B&S clash is a pity.

With B&S getting 90mins I`ll probably need a quick bar / toilet run. If the layout allows I might be tempted to have a 10 minute swerve into craig charles.

I have missed CC too many times at Glastonbury .... it's a must for me. Some banging funk 'n' soul up close and personal is the way to end my local garden party. But yes - bah!

And James vs St Etienne?!

And Edwyn Collins with Mrs F trying to drag me to Squeeze.

4 hours ago, schoolyb said:

Yeah sold the tickets.

In my opinion Hot Chip are the best band out of the whole line up. My favourite British band of the last 10.years. Well worth braving the potential rain for.

6 minutes ago, schoolyb said:

Yeah I love Hot Chip, just concerned the combination of the rain and a disinterested family crowd might *ahem* dampen things. I'm playing football at 2pm which is the worst of the rain so should just man up considering it's a 15min walk from my flat.

Yeah the line up of Hot Chip and the Primals is an odd one given the demographic of the crowd. I can see it going either way.  All the same, I'll be down near the front for both bands and as someone said, hopefully it'll fuck off the picnic blankets near the stage, which is the worst thing about this festival.

23 minutes ago, schoolyb said:

Yeah I love Hot Chip, just concerned the combination of the rain and a disinterested family crowd might *ahem* dampen things. I'm playing football at 2pm which is the worst of the rain so should just man up considering it's a 15min walk from my flat.

Yes, a can of man up is definitely needed and with such a short distance you have no excuse. What else will you be doing?! Hot Chip on form ( I've only ever seen them do one bad gig) as the sun goes down will be great.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

14 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Really windy and rain hammering down here. Looking forward to some sunshine and tunes :-)

Is there some decent choice at the bars?  Thinking I might sneak in a couple of rums for later but do they sell a good range of cider, beer, spirits? 

It's the meantime brewery that does the bars, so decent beer, not sure how many choices they have though. Last time I was there they had a cocktail place as well.

pretty humid at the moment.

20 minutes ago, adamski said:

It's the meantime brewery that does the bars, so decent beer, not sure how many choices they have though. Last time I was there they had a cocktail place as well.

pretty humid at the moment.

Last year the main bars were Lager, Cider, Wine & Pimms. The Meantime ales were served from separate smaller tents (choice of about 4).

First batch of rain has missed us and the main bulk of this afternoon's rain should skirt by too. BBC have changed from 'heavy' to 'light'. Here's hoping. 

See you down the front! 

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Great show from both headliners today. Festival itself nothing special though - 'disinterested family crowd' probably sums it up and the whole thing did feel very corporate. The sponsored vape bus was especially unnecessary.

Still, Hot Chip and Primals!

Never seen a pram stall at a festival either. The vape stall did have one advantage though, £3.99 for a vape stick thingy and a free pint or glass of prosecco, which is cheaper than getting it from the bar.

Thought all the acts were very, very good and the weather wasn't too bad at all. Roll on day 2.

My ratings

The Parrots 6/10, Edwin Collins 8/10 Squeeze 7/10 James 6/10 Saint Etienne 10/10 Belle and Sebastian 8/10 Night Beats 8/10

Thought James were a big let down personally. Made the mistake of choosing them over Saint Etienne, who I caught the last half hour of. They were fantastic and Sarah Cracknell, god she's aged immaculately....Woof Woof!!

Thought this was a nice moment from Belle and Sebastian and see someones captured it pretty well on a phone. Was surprised at the amount of folk that left after James. Going by the crowd sizes they got James and B&S the wrong way round although we were quite happy as have seen James a good few times over the years.