OnBlackheath Festival 2016

DDave

http://www.onblackheath.com/content/uploads/2016/02/OnBlackheath-2016-LineUp.pdf

Great line up this year. Belle and Sebastian bigger than James though?

BIt of an odd festival for me, people really did seem more interested in the food than the music. 

If they could sort the issue of people putting picnic blankets and letting their kid sleep right in front of the stage I'd considered going back for this.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went the year massive attack played because it was just down the road from me. As you say, pretty odd festival with a pretty crappy atmosphere from the hooray henrys, but that's to be expected in that area I suppose.

If James are on the saturday I'll probably go to it. Ticket wont be much more than seeing them at one of their own gigs!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Having a look at this. Any ideas on cheap accomodation? 

I take it there is no camping? 

No camping. Can't really comment on accommodation as we stayed in Padding to not as we only did the one day last year. Plenty of hotels within public transport range though.

On 2/23/2016 at 11:34 PM, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Having a look at this. Any ideas on cheap accomodation? 

I take it there is no camping? 

Theres a premier inn, novotel and a mercure in greenwich. You might be able to get a decent deal if you book early enough. They are a pleasant 20 mins walk away from blackheath. I dont know if you've been to greenwich before or not, but it's a lovely part of london so you could make a long nice weekend of it! 

If you end up going let me know and I can direct you to the non-touristy pubs (though some of the touristy ones are worth visiting too).

On 24/02/2016 at 8:16 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

No camping. Can't really comment on accommodation as we stayed in Padding to not as we only did the one day last year. Plenty of hotels within public transport range though.

Ah OK. Cheers DD. Have got a couple of other fests planned with the tent so might be nice to have a bed and a shower. Is there much happens after the main stage or is it quite an early finisher ?

Just now, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Ah OK. Cheers DD. Have got a couple of other fests planned with the tent so might be nice to have a bed and a shower. Is there much happens after the main stage or is it quite an early finisher ?

Nothing doing afterwards and I think it was done by 10.30, 11-ish, although a nearby pub (Amersham Arms) held what looked like a good after-party that ran till 3am I think (didn't go to it)

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Theres a premier inn, novotel and a mercure in greenwich. You might be able to get a decent deal if you book early enough. They are a pleasant 20 mins walk away from blackheath. I dont know if you've been to greenwich before or not, but it's a lovely part of london so you could make a long nice weekend of it! 

If you end up going let me know and I can direct you to the non-touristy pubs (though some of the touristy ones are worth visiting too).

Cheers Russy :) I`ll do that mate. With lack of holidays and weans to leave behind I`m now thinking we`ll travel down Saturday and depending on when I can get there I might just go on the Sunday and do something in the city on Saturday night. I`ll have a look at those hotels you mentioned.

4 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Nothing doing afterwards and I think it was done by 10.30, 11-ish, although a nearby pub (Amersham Arms) held what looked like a good after-party that ran till 3am I think (didn't go to it)

Cheers again Dave. Last question ( well maybe ) :) Can you bring a couple of light refreshments in with you or do they strip search you at the gate..........

25 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Cheers Russy :) I`ll do that mate. With lack of holidays and weans to leave behind I`m now thinking we`ll travel down Saturday and depending on when I can get there I might just go on the Sunday and do something in the city on Saturday night. I`ll have a look at those hotels you mentioned.

In that case you might be best off just getting somewhere more central and commuting in. Blackheath is only 20 mins from charing cross or 15 mins from london bridge.

As for smuggling in booze, I had a bottle of vodka stashed down my undercrackers and walked in unaccosted. Though I'm not sure if scottish ruffians are subject to different treatment!

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

In that case you might be best off just getting somewhere more central and commuting in. Blackheath is only 20 mins from charing cross or 15 mins from london bridge.

As for smuggling in booze, I had a bottle of vodka stashed down my undercrackers and walked in unaccosted. Though I'm not sure if scottish ruffians are subject to different treatment!

Just been checking out the Premier Inn. They only go up to the end of August on their website. Maybe they have clocked my Jock IP address and are trying to keep me out !!!!!

The Novo are looking for a tonne a night so will look at some of your other suggestions. £50 odds for James and Belle and Sebastian with a bit of Squeeze thrown in sounds good to me although I quite fancy Hot Chip on the Saturday as well.

How many euros is it for a pint or can I spend a Scottish fiver :P

1 hour ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Just been checking out the Premier Inn. They only go up to the end of August on their website. Maybe they have clocked my Jock IP address and are trying to keep me out !!!!!

The Novo are looking for a tonne a night so will look at some of your other suggestions. £50 odds for James and Belle and Sebastian with a bit of Squeeze thrown in sounds good to me although I quite fancy Hot Chip on the Saturday as well.

How many euros is it for a pint or can I spend a Scottish fiver :P

Have to meet up for a pint if you do this mate! 

10 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Have to meet up for a pint if you do this mate! 

How are you sir? Hope all well with you and yours?

Do you have tickets then? Crazy talk about taking the young team has now started as we're not taking them to kendal this year. Talking of which...you due a return to the fields? 

13 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

How are you sir? Hope all well with you and yours?

Do you have tickets then? Crazy talk about taking the young team has now started as we're not taking them to kendal this year. Talking of which...you due a return to the fields? 

Yeah...very well thanks. Hope the same can be said for yours. Yeah, we are definitely doing this just got to get round to booking. The Sunday looks great...Saturday I'm a bit indifferent about but will probably go anyway. Getting made redundant end of August (finally!) so gonna have a proper blow out at this!

No chance of Kendal this year I'm afraid (unless I can bring my redundancy forward) but would say very likely for next year. Still chat to Ram, Johnny and Mick via a 'WhatsApp' group...you should get on it mate!   

On 26/02/2016 at 8:37 AM, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah...very well thanks. Hope the same can be said for yours. Yeah, we are definitely doing this just got to get round to booking. The Sunday looks great...Saturday I'm a bit indifferent about but will probably go anyway. Getting made redundant end of August (finally!) so gonna have a proper blow out at this!

No chance of Kendal this year I'm afraid (unless I can bring my redundancy forward) but would say very likely for next year. Still chat to Ram, Johnny and Mick via a 'WhatsApp' group...you should get on it mate!   

I`ve heard of these fancy faceapperies but I`m bad enough with texts :)

Currently planning a road trip to T with J to see the Roses. Think he`s coming up as wee Jimmy Crankie. Will be good to see you back in the KC fields mate. No Wickerman this year and no Glastonbury tickets so pretty sure we are up for this. Just need to get the weans sorted out and then will get it booked ( I`m fighting off the talk of bringing them but I see they are free so would do it at a push ). Have sussed that you can book the Novotel that Russy mentioned earlier if you do it through Superbreaks and it`s cheaper if you book the virgin rail through them as well. If Saturday is too rushed getting down etc then we will be Sunday only.

On 25/02/2016 at 2:03 PM, russycarps said:

Can get the Devonport Hotel on a deal with breakfast for the same price as the Novotel ( well a fiver more but the Novotel is room only ). Is this Devonport handy for the gig ?

Any tips on somewhere local to take Mrs C for a slap up lunch would be gratefully received :)

A good feed and then back to the hotel to strap each other up with hip flasks and miniature bottles of rum sounds like a plan.

#romantic

2 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Can get the Devonport Hotel on a deal with breakfast for the same price as the Novotel ( well a fiver more but the Novotel is room only ). Is this Devonport handy for the gig ?

Any tips on somewhere local to take Mrs C for a slap up lunch would be gratefully received :)

A good feed and then back to the hotel to strap each other up with hip flasks and miniature bottles of rum sounds like a plan.

#romantic

I've not heard of it but googled and it's right in amongst the historic naval buildings, you'll be right where we created our glorious empire! 

You'd just have to walk through Greenwich park and you'll be in Blackheath. 15 mins or so. Id pick that over novo.

If you want to eat like a cockney theres a nice home made pie n mash place called goddards. The trafalgar tavern on the Thames is a historic old pub with good views but I'm not sure what the foods like. There are loads of places near that hotel though so you can't go wrong really

8 hours ago, russycarps said:

I've not heard of it but googled and it's right in amongst the historic naval buildings, you'll be right where we created our glorious empire! 

You'd just have to walk through Greenwich park and you'll be in Blackheath. 15 mins or so. Id pick that over novo.

If you want to eat like a cockney theres a nice home made pie n mash place called goddards. The trafalgar tavern on the Thames is a historic old pub with good views but I'm not sure what the foods like. There are loads of places near that hotel though so you can't go wrong really

Thanks for this Russy :)

I`m booked. Only 6 quid dearer than the Novo ( for the 2 of us ) and we get fed in the morning. Have taken note of the pubs you mentioned for some pre gig lunch.

Really looking forward to this. I`ll sneak in a few extra rums for any of you efesters heading in on the Sunday. Looks a nice part of the world and Suede into James into Belle and Sebastian... :music:

13 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Thanks for this Russy :)

I`m booked. Only 6 quid dearer than the Novo ( for the 2 of us ) and we get fed in the morning. Have taken note of the pubs you mentioned for some pre gig lunch.

Really looking forward to this. I`ll sneak in a few extra rums for any of you efesters heading in on the Sunday. Looks a nice part of the world and Suede into James into Belle and Sebastian... :music:

Good stuff. Other options could be:

The pelton arms is my favourite pub in the area, a proper old london boozer with live music and off the beaten track, so not packed with tourists. Also does decent food. The sort of place that will prove that londoners arent all rude, miserable tosspots! But it may be a bit too much of a hassle for you to locate. Well worth it if you dont fancy the more touristy pubs though (eg trafalgar tavern!)

http://www.peltonarms.com/

Goddards is more of a restaurant than a pub

http://www.goddardsatgreenwich.co.uk/

Gipsy moth is an average pub and close to you, but it overlooks the cutty sark and has quite a big beer garden (for london!) so a good choice if it's sunny.

https://www.thegipsymothgreenwich.co.uk/

I already mentioned trafalgar tavern. If you're piss heads you can do a mini pub crawl along the thames from here. Trafalgar tavern>the Yacht>the cutty sark>the pelton arms. I've done it many times!

http://www.trafalgartavern.co.uk/

There is also a tiny little jazz bar in greenwich which used to be open late if that's your thing, though I havent been there for a while

http://oliversjazzbar.co.uk/

There are a few pubs in blackheath itself but you'd have to walk past the festival to get to them from where you are, and they arent that great (full of toffs) so I would probably just stay in greenwich. 

If I end up going we will have to meet up for that drink and vociferously debate the pros and cons of the SNP. Or just get pissed and talk about music.

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

Good stuff. Other options could be:

The pelton arms is my favourite pub in the area, a proper old london boozer with live music and off the beaten track, so not packed with tourists. Also does decent food. The sort of place that will prove that londoners arent all rude, miserable tosspots! But it may be a bit too much of a hassle for you to locate. Well worth it if you dont fancy the more touristy pubs though (eg trafalgar tavern!)

http://www.peltonarms.com/

Goddards is more of a restaurant than a pub

http://www.goddardsatgreenwich.co.uk/

Gipsy moth is an average pub and close to you, but it overlooks the cutty sark and has quite a big beer garden (for london!) so a good choice if it's sunny.

https://www.thegipsymothgreenwich.co.uk/

I already mentioned trafalgar tavern. If you're piss heads you can do a mini pub crawl along the thames from here. Trafalgar tavern>the Yacht>the cutty sark>the pelton arms. I've done it many times!

http://www.trafalgartavern.co.uk/

There is also a tiny little jazz bar in greenwich which used to be open late if that's your thing, though I havent been there for a while

http://oliversjazzbar.co.uk/

There are a few pubs in blackheath itself but you'd have to walk past the festival to get to them from where you are, and they arent that great (full of toffs) so I would probably just stay in greenwich. 

If I end up going we will have to meet up for that drink and vociferously debate the pros and cons of the SNP. Or just get pissed and talk about music.

Thanks again for all this :)

Will have a good look through the links but by the sounds of it we will just take a wander around greenwich.

Pitfalls to be avoided :

1.Getting too hammered on the train on the way down.

2.Going on too big a pub crawl before the gig and arriving like a buckled wheel.

3.All of the above.

Would be delighted to make your acquaintance. The second option of getting pissed and talking about music sounds much more fun than the first.