OnBlackheath Festival 2016

DDave

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/15/2016 at 7:50 PM, Flaminglippy said:

The time tables are up. His set is exactly the same as B&S. Roachford and James overlap as well. Bum.

Cheers Lip, have just had a look. I think deep down I knew Craig Charles wasn`t going to be doing a late night slot after B&S :(

James into B&S will do fine and we can look forward to CG back in the lakes next year :)

Clangers and Squeeze clash is a sore one.

15 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Just looking at the map. Sorry if this is a daft question but is the main stage in a tent ?

No. Not sure why it's done like that. Big outdoor main stage.

The others should be tents though, the second stage was definitely a tent last year. Hope more people attend the other gigs this year. Temples and 808 State were very sparsely attended. The clashes don't help. Sunday will be half an hour here and half an hour there for a large proportion of the night for me, which isn't ideal.

Anyway, was wondering what kind of Primal Scream set we'll get, judging by the last gig we're in for a treat. Them last 5 songs!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/primal-scream/2016/kelvingrove-bandstand-glasgow-scotland-63fcf2b3.html

Hot Chip getting an hour and fifteen is the best news yet for me. 

On 8/16/2016 at 10:22 PM, DiscothequeDave said:

No. Not sure why it's done like that. Big outdoor main stage.

The others should be tents though, the second stage was definitely a tent last year. Hope more people attend the other gigs this year. Temples and 808 State were very sparsely attended. The clashes don't help. Sunday will be half an hour here and half an hour there for a large proportion of the night for me, which isn't ideal.

Anyway, was wondering what kind of Primal Scream set we'll get, judging by the last gig we're in for a treat. Them last 5 songs!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/primal-scream/2016/kelvingrove-bandstand-glasgow-scotland-63fcf2b3.html

Hot Chip getting an hour and fifteen is the best news yet for me. 

Cheers Dave. I`d assumed it was an outdoor stage  but the map had me wondering.

Seen Primal Scream a good few times over the years. From my experience, if they are headlining or it`s their own show then you are normally ok. I think when they are good they are very good but they are always capable of a stinker. Bobby is just back from injury, I would think they will nail it but if the crowd don`t appear " up for it " ........I`m sure it will be fine.

16 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

From my experience, if they are headlining or it`s their own show then you are normally ok. I think when they are good they are very good but they are always capable of a stinker. Bobby is just back from injury, I would think they will nail it but if the crowd don`t appear " up for it " ........I`m sure it will be fine.

Yeah, spot on. They've been one of the best live bands I've seen, and one of the worst. Fingers crossed we get them on a good day. If they're gash going to knock 'OnRoundhay' on the head

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen any cheap tickets for OnBlackheath this year? I know they did the 2-4-1 offer a couple of times but I'm talking really cheap - like Groupon or Show Film First cheap? For their sake I hope things have picked up since the first couple of years and they don't need to but from my own point of view I only want to see one or two bands and none of the foody/family stuff interests me.

Just a quick travel question for any of you good folks with the local knowledge :)

I`ll be travelling via Euston and it looks like I need to get to London Cannon St before getting a train to Greenwich ( our digs are near Greenwich Park so we have a stroll through the park to the gig ). Does this sound about right?

Looks like a 45min walk between the London stations or the tube with a change which takes about the same time. Am I missing an easier way of doing it ?

@comfortablynumb1910 Get the Northern line down to Bank station then it's about 200m walk to Cannon Street from there (there's a Charing Cross and Bank train from Euston so make sure you're on the Bank branch). If there's any problems with the BR trains then you can get DLR from Bank to Greenwich too, takes a bit longer though. 

1 hour ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Just a quick travel question for any of you good folks with the local knowledge :)

I`ll be travelling via Euston and it looks like I need to get to London Cannon St before getting a train to Greenwich ( our digs are near Greenwich Park so we have a stroll through the park to the gig ). Does this sound about right?

Looks like a 45min walk between the London stations or the tube with a change which takes about the same time. Am I missing an easier way of doing it ?

Welcome to the Smoke ....

Now trains around us have been pretty shite this last week with a major upgrade going on at London Bridge. The best way for you to get to Greenwich from Euston would be on the Tube and then DLR. This would be as follows:

Euston Underground Station, Northern Line (the black one, Bank Branch) Southbound to Bank (5 stops). Change there to the Docklands Light Railway, get a Lewisham train to Cutty Sark (10 stops) and walk from there to your hotel. Total journey time should be no more than 45 minutes.

You can then walk up through Greenwich Park and across Blackheath (note that the festival area is at the Lewisham side of Blackheath rather than the Blackheath village side). A fine walk, if a bit uphill, and less than half an hour.

Looking back at what Russy said, I agree with his pubs, Trafalgar is very touristy but worth a visit for a beer and the view (food a bit expensive) and The Pelton is the best local. Another good one on the river that way is the Cutty Sark at Ballast Quay (it's not by the Cutty Sark?!) and then going into Greenwich, the Richard I and the Greenwich Union are next door to each other and do good ales on Royal Hill.

The food and beer at the festival itself is excellent, with beers by Greenwich Meantime brewery, but you are looking at a fiver a pint.

Be warned, it's posh, there are lots of kids and it is rather like a large Village Fete, but the line-up is good and it's easy to get down the front! 

2 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Gah - ignore what I said earlier.... The bloody DLR is shut at the weekend due to engineering works, from Bank to West India Quay.

As mentioned above, go with the tube to Bank, then walk to Cannon Street (10 minutes) and then the train to Greenwich. It should only be around 45 minutes to an hour.

5 hours ago, schoolyb said:

@comfortablynumb1910 Get the Northern line down to Bank station then it's about 200m walk to Cannon Street from there (there's a Charing Cross and Bank train from Euston so make sure you're on the Bank branch). If there's any problems with the BR trains then you can get DLR from Bank to Greenwich too, takes a bit longer though. 

Cheers :drinks:

5 hours ago, Fishman said:

Gah - ignore what I said earlier.... The bloody DLR is shut at the weekend due to engineering works, from Bank to West India Quay.

As mentioned above, go with the tube to Bank, then walk to Cannon Street (10 minutes) and then the train to Greenwich. It should only be around 45 minutes to an hour.

Thanks Mr Fish. Hopefully I won`t get lost !

Help and advice here has been much appreciated :)

Just had a squint at the weather forecast. Looking forward to getting away from the constant rain round my way.

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Was just going to get the train from London Bridge to Blackheath, am I mistaken about that?

No you're not!

Comfortablynumb1910 needs to get to Greenwich first for his hotel.

Although, saying which, Lewisham station is slightly closer and is probably a better bet for heading home as there are more trains.

Edited by Fishman

14 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Set list for Primal Scream in Glasgow 3 weeks ago with Bobby back after injury. Know folk who were there and said they were rockin !

Will be happy with that, plus Bobby being in a good mood. I'll have teenagers in tow, so I need the 'on-top-form' version of the live show!

Still struggling a bit with my plan for Sunday - who'd have thought something so small would be so clash heavy.

Also a bit concerned that this has just appeared on the Saturday!

Long term forecast
Wednesday7 September12–18 Thursday8 September12–18 Friday9 September13–19 Saturday10 September13–19 Sunday11 September13–19 Monday12 September13–19 Tuesday13 September13–19 Wednesday14 September13–19 Thursday15 September13–19
Clear sky Clear sky Partly cloudy Heavy rain showers Partly cloudy Clear sky Clear sky Partly cloudy Partly cloudy
24° 22° 22° 19° 19° 21° 26° 24° 26°
0 mm 0 mm 0 mm 6.3 mm 0 mm 0 mm 0 mm 0 mm 0 mm
Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from south-southeast Moderate breeze, 7 m/s from west-southwest Moderate breeze, 7 m/s from southwest Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from south-southwest Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from southwest Light breeze, 3 m/s from south Light air, 1 m/s from east Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from east-northeast Light breeze, 3 m/s from south

53 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Will be happy with that, plus Bobby being in a good mood. I'll have teenagers in tow, so I need the 'on-top-form' version of the live show!

Still struggling a bit with my plan for Sunday - who'd have thought something so small would be so clash heavy.

Long term forecast
Wednesday7 September12–18 Thursday8 September12–18 Friday9 September13–19 Saturday10 September13–19 Sunday11 September13–19 Monday12 September13–19 Tuesday13 September13–19 Wednesday14 September13–19 Thursday15 September13–19
Clear sky Clear sky Partly cloudy Heavy rain showers Partly cloudy Clear sky Clear sky Partly cloudy Partly cloudy
Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from south-southeast Moderate breeze, 7 m/s from west-southwest Moderate breeze, 7 m/s from southwest Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from south-southwest Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from southwest Light breeze, 3 m/s from south Light air, 1 m/s from east Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from east-northeast Light breeze, 3 m/s from south

Urgh, the only day out of 10. Shite.

On 06/09/2016 at 11:35 AM, Fishman said:

Long term forecast

Not quite as much ra*n being forecast, but still a bit disappointing after this week ...

Still - should reduce the number of picnic blankets lying around and will hopefully be fully dry by Hot Chip time.

Detailed meteogram, next 48 hours

The meteogram: Blackheath

49 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Been debating how early I want to go in, looking at that rain I reckon I'll aim to get in just in time for Roisin Murphy to try and dodge the worst of it. Only really fussed about Hot Chip/Primals but Roisin seems decent.

I'd recommend seeing Thundercat an all. Been listening to his stuff this last week and really like it.