New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

51 minutes ago, Gommy said:

It's a bit fiddly but do it a few times, somewhere where you have access to watch the videos and it really is pretty straightforward once you have a bit of practice and as stated above the system and colouring these days make it a lot easier.

Thanks. Could you point me in the direction of the video? I can only seem to find older ones...

Ordered myself a fresh and black yesterday, should arrive on Monday so plenty of time for a quick test run. I normally take a bigger tent with mates but as I'm on my own this year I've opted for one of these, I hope it's as good as it sounds because I need some kip these days!

1 hour ago, payneruk said:

Just tried my new popup tent. OMG sooo easy. Even the putting back in the bag was quick....once I read the instructions.

The blackout interior worked really well. And the silver exteria kept it nice and cool. NFR NFC

Silly question but is it *completely* dark inside? 

4 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Daughter has just bought one.  She put it up in the living room in daylight so not a true test of bright sunlight etc.  Yes, it was completely dark.  She seemed to like it but I think it would bother me waking up in pitch blackness in the morning, felt a bit claustrophobic.

Edited by Kizzie

21 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Mines not pitch black. You can see fine during daylight but it's very noticably different than your usual tent. And I think it'll help loads with my morning zzzz

On 6/2/2017 at 10:57 AM, phimill said:

I've been using the 2 man version since 2014 (older model). Really great tent, with good floor space, plenty of vents and a handy porch.

Just lacking the fresh and black aspect of the newest models, though the vents help make it cooler than most standard tents. Not fussed about the blackout aspect as I like having the light when I'm getting ready in the morning.

20 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Daughter has just bought one.  She put it up in the living room in daylight so not a true test of bright sunlight etc.  Yes, it was completely dark.  She seemed to like it but I think it would bother me waking up in pitch blackness in the morning, felt a bit claustrophobic.

Hmm. That was my worry. I'm not sure I'd wake up in time and it could be a bit disconcerting.

36 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Hmm. That was my worry. I'm not sure I'd wake up in time and it could be a bit disconcerting.

Wouldn't you just wake up and think 'oh yeah, my new fresh 'n' black tent, better check the time'?

Edited by kalifire

26 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

She works, so it might be more difficult to get up for the shift without the role natural light.

I'd just set an alarm, personally.

Yes, of course I set an alarm (two, actually) but I find it easier to wake up 'naturally' and if my alarm goes off and it's still pitch black I'd feel quite disorientated.

Someone's offered to lend me their fresh and black pop-up for the festival and I'm weighing up options. 

28 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Someone's offered to lend me their fresh and black pop-up for the festival and I'm weighing up options. 

Go for it. 

We really need to get the organisers to create a special fresh and black only camping area. We don't want our extra hours of sleep being disturbed by all the other people being forced out of their tents by the early morning sun and heat. 

It may make locating our tents tricky late at night though. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Go for it. 

We really need to get the organisers to create a special fresh and black only camping area. We don't want our extra hours of sleep being disturbed by all the other people being forced out of their tents by the early morning sun and heat. 

It may make locating our tents tricky late at night though. 

I'll be up by 5am on Fri - Mon, but I guess I'd appreciate the extra sleep earlier in the week!

34 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Yes, of course I set an alarm (two, actually) but I find it easier to wake up 'naturally' and if my alarm goes off and it's still pitch black I'd feel quite disorientated.

I've got one night shift and I'm sure that it will come into its own trying to sleep through the morning after that. The other shifts are a late and an early so no real problems there.

10 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Why are there no decathlon stores in the south west:unsure: I want to take a look at one in the flesh but the nearest store is an hour and a half away! Do they sell these in any other shops?

Nope, Quechua is a Decathlon own brand so you won't find it anywhere else. The best you can hope for is that they've started to open a few mini-stores inside larger branches of Asda so there might be one near you at some point soon.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Nope, Quechua is a Decathlon own brand so you won't find it anywhere else. The best you can hope for is that they've started to open a few mini-stores inside larger branches of Asda so there might be one near you at some point soon.

Cheers, probably take a drive to Oxford one on the weekend. The last tent I bought turned out to be pretty lame so really want to see one in situ before making such a crucial purchase. 

Probably a really daft question but do the inflatable ones come with tent pegs or would I need to get them separately? Tent is currently 100 miles away from where I am so I can't just open it up and check (just in case you thought I was being completely idle!)

1 hour ago, mandolin said:

Probably a really daft question but do the inflatable ones come with tent pegs or would I need to get them separately? Tent is currently 100 miles away from where I am so I can't just open it up and check (just in case you thought I was being completely idle!)

They do come with pegs, though you have to buy the pump to blow it up. Bought a 3 man blow up fresh and black last year, great investment. Very easy to get up, then simple to take down, though it did sound like a gun going off when you undo the valve.

• Upvote 1

Would a two man be sufficient for one person? I've always opted for a three man tent for myself, but usually have a fair amount of space (I'm about 6 foot) and certainly don't take as much as I used to (no more trollies, try and go light).

Think it would be a mistake and should I opt for a three man?

36 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Would a two man be sufficient for one person? I've always opted for a three man tent for myself, but usually have a fair amount of space (I'm about 6 foot) and certainly don't take as much as I used to (no more trollies, try and go light).

Think it would be a mistake and should I opt for a three man?

How much weight difference is there between the two and three man tents? Probably not that much when you have the extra space. I'm over 6 foot and will be sleeping diagonally in a three man tent.