The Festivals angry neighbour....

Swine_Glasto2014

http://m.westerndailypress.co.uk/Michael-Eavis-farmer-neighbour-fined-row-entrance/story-27638109-detail/story.html

Sure this has been mentioned in the past....apologies. 

Incidents like this must all have a helping hand in making things difficult, albeit the guy has depression issues.

The festival must be an endless source of stories for the local press.

The local news should report on the more positive stuff we see when there:

"Yesterday evening at Glastonbury Festival a girl was seen 'walking' around on all fours among the crowd at Silver Hayes. When asked by concerned onlookers if she was alright the young lady confirmed that she was actually a Gloucester Blackspot breed of pig, was looking for truffles and couldn't be happier other than if she were basking in shit, before snuffling away contentedly. In short, no fucks were given.

Now, the weather in Pilton today..."

I do feel sorry for some of the locals at times.  He's been farming that land for years and nearly every year, a big city appears in the middle of his countryside idyll, and looks  awful for months afterwards. On top of this, everyone he knows gives him shit for not being happy about it.  He might not be acting reasonably even given the above, but I can still understand how it may not be a happy situation for him.

I felt even more sorry for Anne Goode back in the day, even though she was a religion-crazed maniac, she did have streams of fence jumpers coming through her land and shitting in her garden.  Especially if you've had no contact with the counter-culture, it must all have been pretty scary.  Let's not forget that in the early 90s, things did get violent.

Yep I cant help but feel sorry for this guy. His life has been ruined by the festival. If he'd embraced it years ago he'd have saved himself an enormous amount of stress. But you cant really blame someone for standing up for what they believe in. A sad story.

That's a nice photo of the festival on that website.

Yeah I do feel really sorry for him cause he hasdepression and the festival is probably a part of the reason for that illness. Must be tough having to, as russycarps said, stand up for what you believe in and not have anyone hear you out. Also must be though for people from the other side because there is nothing they can do about it. Tthe festival is so massive now that they can't stop running it because of one guy...

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I felt even more sorry for Anne Goode back in the day, even though she was a religion-crazed maniac, she did have streams of fence jumpers coming through her land and shitting in her garden.  Especially if you've had no contact with the counter-culture, it must all have been pretty scary.  Let's not forget that in the early 90s, things did get violent.

What makes her different from Michael then? He's very religious but obviously in favour of the festival where as Anne wasn't. Why is one a 'religion-crazed maniac' and the other not?

Everyone affected is generously compensated. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

We only have access to a small plot of land for a few days at the end of June. Think about why should any land be private and off limits at all?

Local land owners should count themselves very lucky indeed that they have unimpeded control of land they probably should not own for 51 weeks of the year.

Get some perspective Peter Hugh Taylor

7 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

What makes her different from Michael then? He's very religious but obviously in favour of the festival where as Anne wasn't. Why is one a 'religion-crazed maniac' and the other not?

Fair point. Probably because I like the results of Michael's faith more. I always found that cross creepy, but that's probably just down to how she was put across in that documentary 20-odd years ago.

5 hours ago, bamber said:

Everyone affected is generously compensated. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

We only have access to a small plot of land for a few days at the end of June. Think about why should any land be private and off limits at all?

Local land owners should count themselves very lucky indeed that they have unimpeded control of land they probably should not own for 51 weeks of the year.

Nice post bamber. The Land Is Ours. :)

Here's something written a friend of mine - who died about a decade ago, and this is about the only remaining reference to his existence (which only hammers home how transient we all are)..... all about how private land ownership is stealing our birthright.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/diggers350/conversations/topics/93

Edited by eFestivals

5 hours ago, bamber said:

Yep, I agree with that. That's always been my view since I started going nearly 20 years ago and it still is.

The thing that has changed is that I now treat my own views with a little bit more suspicion - believing in the land belonging to all of us conveniently brings benefits to myself. I also have more empathy for those on the other side of the equation than perhaps I once did when running through fields of crops in 1997, trying to find a way into the festival.

But ultimately, the utilitarian argument seems very strong in favour of the festival, particularly in its current incarnation. 

Unfortunately for Peter Hugh Taylor, an abstract utilitarian argument about the relative merits of the festival to society at whole is probably scant comfort to him. Perhaps it should be, but I can see how it might not be. I hope he finds his way to making peace with the festival, because it's not going anywhere, and nor should it.

It can be quite easy for us to criticise NIBYism, especially when something is not in our back yard and we would be overjoyed if it was.

Having said all that, thanks for the reminder than land owners have come into their position through luck. It has added some perspective to the discussion.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fair point. Probably because I like the results of Michael's faith more. I always found that cross creepy, but that's probably just down to how she was put across in that documentary 20-odd years ago.

Anne was a very forceful and difficult woman and did deeply loath the festival but I don't think Michael was that bothered to be honest. It would be interesting to see if her views might have changed if she could see the festival as it is now. 

9 minutes ago, e_p said:

is the cross the one that is still in the field that Tangerine Fields use?

That's right. Anne Goode is gone now, but her daughter now rents the field out.  She's not much keen on the festival herself, but I'm guessing most of us have done things we'd rather not for lots of cash.

With the festival existing in it's current state for 20+ years, there's a point where I start to lose sympathy for "I was just here and someone started up a festival next to me".

I've had annoying neighbours, but there's a point at which, if it's bad enough it's driving you to crime, then you just sell up and move. Not put up with it for 20 years. It may not be fair, but at some point you have to help yourself.

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

With the festival existing in it's current state for 20+ years, there's a point where I start to lose sympathy for "I was just here and someone started up a festival next to me".

I've had annoying neighbours, but there's a point at which, if it's bad enough it's driving you to crime, then you just sell up and move. Not put up with it for 20 years. It may not be fair, but at some point you have to help yourself.

Yes - especially as in this particular case there's a lot more context and history that the article doesn't cover. Some of which can be found by running his name through Google.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

but I'm guessing most of us have done things we'd rather not for lots of cash.

Do you really think it would be the majority stuartbert? I can't think of anything that I have voluntarily done and regret for lots of cash. I'd quite like to have the morals of a tom cat but simply don't - well not in relation to cash transactions anyway.

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Do you really think it would be the majority stuartbert? I can't think of anything that I have voluntarily done and regret for lots of cash. I'd quite like to have the morals of a tom cat but simply don't - well not in relation to cash transactions anyway.

I didn't say regret. I'm not talking about the "selling your soul" kind of thing, more like the going to work once in a while kind of thing.  I don't have any land to lease out (unless you count my back yard), so it's generally time for me.  

Like anyone who has a lodger, even if the lodger is a friend, they extra room would probably come in handy, but not as much as the cash. I've also sold stuff that I quite like because I wanted the money more at the time. That's the kind of level I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I didn't say regret. I'm not talking about the "selling your soul" kind of thing, more like the going to work once in a while kind of thing.  I don't have any land to lease out (unless you count my back yard), so it's generally time for me.  

Like anyone who has a lodger, even if the lodger is a friend, they extra room would probably come in handy, but not as much as the cash. I've also sold stuff that I quite like because I wanted the money more at the time. That's the kind of level I'm talking about.

I now see where you are coming from. I think it was the 'lots of cash' that threw me. I totally get you with the time thing. My own time (away from work) is a most precious thing. I could have flown high on the career front but just thought that I couldn't be arsed and didn't want to sell my soul. I now realise that it's probably because I'm not a natural delegator ie I don't like thrusting shit on somebody else's plate to deal with, which I think is necessary to go up through the ranks.

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I now see where you are coming from. I think it was the 'lots of cash' that threw me. I totally get you with the time thing. My own time (away from work) is a most precious thing. I could have flown high on the career front but just thought that I couldn't be arsed and didn't want to sell my soul. I now realise that it's probably because I'm not a natural delegator ie I don't like thrusting shit on somebody else's plate to deal with, which I think is necessary to go up through the ranks.

Ah yes, I shouldn't have written "lots of", that gave completely the wrong meaning.  

On 05/02/2016 at 11:07 AM, russycarps said:

Yep I cant help but feel sorry for this guy. His life has been ruined by the festival. If he'd embraced it years ago he'd have saved himself an enormous amount of stress. But you cant really blame someone for standing up for what they believe in. A sad story.

That's a nice photo of the festival on that website.

Mr E should maybe send the geezer on a hoilday over the festival ......strange to think things are not ALL harmonious in the glasto valley