Oasis

mufcok

36 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I agree with this. I love the vocals on the first two albums, but he sounds superb on BHN. His voice changed pretty much every year from 1993-2000. If you listen to live stuff from back then, you can tell the difference between the different years. It was brilliant until 1998 when he started to have a few problems. He sounded different but good early on in the SOTSOG tour, but by the time the stadium tour came around, his voice is shagged. From 2000 onwards it has varied between good, okay, poor, shit and tragic.

This was him at his peak for me live though. 

Alan fucking White and his useless extra beats though. Song ruined.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Because the split was a cynical move by Noel to make loads of money upon reunion after seeing how well Blur's reunion was received. 

Nah. 

Im not saying the reunion wont happen at all, but Im pretty sure he couldn't come up with a 10 year plan like that. His solo career could have been absolutely massive for all he knew.

Tbf, he has done ok on his own. As big as Oasis would have been if the had carried on for 8 more years? Probably not, but sells out arenas constantly. 

17 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Alan fucking White and his useless extra beats though. Song ruined.

Without meaning to be contrary, S2H, I couldn't disagree more. If I wanted live renditions to be indistinguishable from their studio originals, I'd go watch the frickin' Lighthouse Family! I think the drumming, coupled with that always useful slightly increased live tempo, drive this along beautifully. I'd have sung myself hoarse to this had I been there, and as I did at Knebworth!

That Earl's Court video is bloody brilliant and, given that Supersonic was always one of my favourites, a huge nostalgia trip back to when they really did have something. I'm with you, russy :o!

Ben
x

Edited by bennyhana22
sloppy punctuation is not an option

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Without meaning to be contrary, S2H, I couldn't disagree more. If I wanted live renditions to be indistinguishable from their studio originals, I'd go watch the frickin' Lighthouse Family! I think the drumming, coupled with that always useful slightly increased live tempo drive this along beautifully. I'd have sung myself hoarse to this, had I been there, and as I did at Knebworth!

That Earl's Court video is bloody brilliant and, given that Supersonic was always one of my favourites, a huge nostalgia trip back to when they really did have something. I'm with you russy :o!

Ben
x

It's a different and inferior song the way he plays it.  You wouldn't play the bassline from I Am The Resurrection with a couple of extra notes thrown in.  You wouldn't play the drum intro from Five Years with some extra beats thrown in.  It's an integral part of the song and all the modifications White made to in just made the song weaker.

I don't want my live songs to sound identical to the record, but I do want to hear the same songs, and the way Alan White played Supersonic just ruined it.

The should never have let a southerner into the band ;)

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You wouldn't play the drum intro from Five Years with some extra beats thrown in.

But pretty much everyone who's played this live since The Spiders has. Bowie always said that no one could get it the way Woody did so we had many different live versions. 

However I do agree with the 'Whitey' White analysis as hearing Slide Away with added funky beats at Glasto 95 melted my already very hot melty head. Ta Alan. 

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hey, easty!

It was alright because it was a great occasion, and my (former journalist) mate got us properly VIP'd which was pretty cool, since those on the front of the barrier behind the VIP corridor looked like dogs left in hot cars.

However, Liam's vocal was pretty damn ropey. Such a shame. For all their detractors, there was a time when the buzz around them was real and it was very exciting. Knebworth genuinely was an amazing day for us. And, at that time, Liam's pipes were as good as there was in the 'rock' world. Sadly, like Noel's songwriting, it was a very finite resource.

Ben

To be fair Ben, I was absolutely spangled and had a right good doo. 

20 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A 14 year old me thought it was great. First gig I went to without my dad.

Still looks good on youtube. Especially champagne supernova.

Fair play mate, I can perfectly understand that. I used to think standing on the kippax was great at 14, even if City were shit and we got tonked again, just because it was so exciting to be there. I was not drinking pissy larger that stunk of eggs at Maine Road though at 14 lol.

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

it's a shite album, but it's still one of the best oasis albums. Which says it all really.

I was 16 when BHN came out and I remember it being the most important event of my young life to date. My GCSE results came out the same day and I prioritised queuing outside HMV in Birmingham City Centre over picking them up.

Seems a bit silly now in retrospect.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was 16 when BHN came out and I remember it being the most important event of my young life to date. My GCSE results came out the same day and I prioritised queuing outside HMV in Birmingham City Centre over picking them up.

Seems a bit silly now in retrospect.

silly, but it was exciting to be a part of something like that, even if it was all a load of bollocks.

the world seems a much more miserable place for 16 year olds today (though I suppose they are shagging like rabbits thanks to tinder)

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think "seems" is the key word, there.

Plenty of big, totemic album releases this year for these millennials that they have these days to flip their wig over.  Lemonade was very much a global phenomenon, whereas Be Here Now was very much a local - frankly, a parochial - one.

Out of curiosity  -Was it?

Whilst I am not saying it wasn't big (massive in America) - did it have much of an impact in Europe?  -  I have only heard of it on here. I haven't really seen / heard anything about it other than here.

I am willing to have that completely shot down - it is a  question. If it was that big, I'd expect to have heard stuff from it. I kept running into Beiber tunes over the last year. Whether it's on TV, in shops when the radio was on etc. I am yet to hear anything from Beyoncé in a long time. I assumed it bombed.

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think "seems" is the key word, there.

Plenty of big, totemic album releases this year for these millennials that they have these days to flip their wig over.  Lemonade was very much a global phenomenon, whereas Be Here Now was very much a local - frankly, a parochial - one.

The whole country was buzzing about oasis. Who cared about the wider world at that age? No one I knew. The world is a small place when you are young for most people.

The only thing to have come anywhere near close is the arctic monkeys with their first album, and that was nothing like the same. Beyonce is incomparable.

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Out of curiosity  -Was it?

Whilst I am not saying it wasn't big (massive in America) - did it have much of an impact in Europe?  -  I have only heard of it on here. I haven't really seen / heard anything about it other than here.

I am willing to have that completely shot down - it is a  question. If it was that big, I'd expect to have heard stuff from it. I kept running into Beiber tunes over the last year. Whether it's on TV, in shops when the radio was on etc. I am yet to hear anything from Beyoncé in a long time. I assumed it bombed.

beyonce is just a polished pop star who sells loads of records. There have been loads of them through the years. They are ten a penny. 

None of them can compare to the phenomenon that was oasis.