Oasis

mufcok

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

They were ace on the main stage in 1995, but everyone else seems to think they were terrible. I mean I cant remember a thing about it but I can remember thinking it was brill afterwards. I guess it depends how old you were at the time, but I was right in my youthful prime and music snobbery had not yet taken root.

I was thinking of the 2004 set when they were awful to be honest.

We were MEGA up for it in '04. Primo spec, first 5 tracks were belters. The white coat (!) raised a smile. They had all the bonhomie you could wish for as a headliner. I think the gaps between songs sucked all the energy from the show once Columbia finished. Noel introduced "Little By Little" as his best song. Thats when we collectively said fuck this and bolted for the Chems.

7 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

We were MEGA up for it in '04. Primo spec, first 5 tracks were belters. The white coat (!) raised a smile. They had all the bonhomie you could wish for as a headliner. I think the gaps between songs sucked all the energy from the show once Columbia finished. Noel introduced "Little By Little" as his best song. Thats when we collectively said fuck this and bolted for the Chems.

Whose idea was it to stick A Bell Will Ring in there? Baffling set list decision.

Play Video

15. Encore:
Edited by Hugh Jass

My two penneth worth on Brothers Gallagher:

Saw them twice - at Edwards No. 8 in Brum in 1994 and then at Knebworth. I was 18-20 years old and loved them. Controversially, I think Morning Glory is a better album than Definitely Maybe.

Missed them at Glastonbury in 94 and 95 - think I was off my tits at The Prodigy for the latter one.

Listened to Be Here Now once or twice. Uncontroversially, I went off them after that.

I liked Go Let It Out. Everything else I’ve heard since has been very average. Including their solo work. Especially their solo work.

Liam’s voice is sounding better than it has done for the past 17 years.

Their interviews are a hoot.

50 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Oasis not a very dynamic band. Relied upon their audience to reach the highest highs. Little By Little made them seem peripheral on the night. We arrived at the other stage just as "HBHG" started. Yerse.

Rock & Roll Star into Bring It On Down is a cracking opening, that should have been the springboard for an amazing set.

36 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Controversially, I think Morning Glory is a better album than Definitely Maybe.

Not that controversial. It outsold DM and me and quite a few I know would agree with you. It's cooler to say DM is a better album (I'm sure a lot will genuinely feel that it is the better album).

Did go downhill after that. Find it hard to listen to them much anymore. Would prob go see them but imagine the crowd would be a bit off putting.

Edited by cammie81

14 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

No more than 30 people from the front. 500mls. His own. Barely put the cap back on. Aimed. Lobbed. Ruined someone's day.

Crowds need to self police this horrible crap, easier said than done I suppose but there does seems to be an improvement in the behavior and consideration of gig / festival crowds recently. Lets hope it goes further.

Edited by cammie81

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I was up for it as well, at the end of a 10-yr stint of really enjoying their stuff, the interviews, thinking they'd get better again. I thought  the white coat was a bathrobe and wasn't a good omen as it looked like he was ready for bed, just mailing it in, which he did. started well for a few numbers, but the gaps were painful, no banter. I thought it picked up a bit for encore, but it took me a year or two to admit it was truly dreadful rather than just average. still have a worn out armpit stained blue Oasis Glastonbury 2004 t-shirt mind you...

Per Russy's take on 95, I wasn't there but listened to it on headphones listening on radio and for years that was one of my fave recorded live gigs. Just seemed like  it would have been great on the night. Walrus was incredible on that night, listen to the full thing and the jam at the end... 

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I'm a big Oasis fan and watched that Oasis set from 04 not long ago. It was shocking. They looked like it was a chore being there...

yes, very much a why are we here thing....so lacking of energy and it was only their second gig of the year i think (?) a warmup a few days before and then this... 

Having said all this though, in terms of choices, I'd still go see them again reunited over the likes of Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, Foo Fighters, Lionel Richie and 95% of the stuff that's on yesterday's Coachella lineup announcement. 

3 hours ago, tevaburger said:

Having said all this though, in terms of choices, I'd still go see them again reunited over the likes of Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, Foo Fighters, Lionel Richie and 95% of the stuff that's on yesterday's Coachella lineup announcement. 

I have to say I would be well up for this, as much as I can't see it happening. Loved his Sunday afternoon slot a couple of years back!