Oasis

mufcok

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Really enjoyed Supersonic, reminded me how massive and how much of a phenomenon Oasis were for a couple of years.

I would love to see a sequel based around them splitting up, there are rumours of what happened but the full story has never been told.

Are there any decent docs which cover the time after Knebworth? There is a lot spoken about particularly around the 2000 wembley shows, would be good to hear more. I saw them twice in 2009 and they were both fantastic gigs, albeit it was just a nostalgia fest even then. 

2 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Are there any decent docs which cover the time after Knebworth? There is a lot spoken about particularly around the 2000 wembley shows, would be good to hear more. I saw them twice in 2009 and they were both fantastic gigs, albeit it was just a nostalgia fest even then. 

I was at Wembley in 2000 and it was bloody awful. Liam pissed and coked up, out of tune even for him and ranting about his divorce. Think Noel walked off the tour around that time again too.

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

I seem to remember vh1 doing a doc around standing on the shoulders' of giants. I had it on video. 

I went to the Reebok on that tour, my main memories are how poor Liam sounded in comparison to the GMEX a few years earlier - and some knobhead climbing up the speakers and stopping the gig for a while.

Saw Oasis at Maine Road 96 - but I was too far away. I was 12 and went with my dad. I didn't enjoy it that much.

GMEX 97 - The first gig I went to without my parents... I'd say it's the reason why I go to gigs now.

Reebok 2000 - I noticed the decline in them even then, but loved it.

Nottingham 2004? - Pretty poor performance, but I had a ball.

Heaton Park 2009 - Loved it. Liam wasn't great. I remember saying to my mum a few days later "that's the last time I will ever watch Oasis"I had a great day and wanted to remember them like that.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I saw them the week after Knebworth (think Noel wore the same jumper?) and they were dull as dishwater with a PA quality you’d expect from a bingo hall. I think the appeal with them was summer 94/95 (both scorchers) where they were a lairy counterpoint/throwback in the midst of some really great music being made. They allowed “cultural access” to people that never liked music before. Not an insignificant achievement.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was at Wembley in 2000 and it was bloody awful. Liam pissed and coked up, out of tune even for him and ranting about his divorce. Think Noel walked off the tour around that time again too.

That would be the real nitty gritty of what Oasis became. Watching Supersonic it does feel like Noel matured and Liam never did. 

On 29/12/2017 at 4:29 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Supersonic romanticises a lot of it. There wasn’t a single mention of the whole Blur rivalry that was a significant part of those years, found that odd.

No Distance Left to Run goes into that big time. Fascinating insight. The better documentary of the two. 

On 30/12/2017 at 12:33 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Really enjoyed Supersonic, reminded me how massive and how much of a phenomenon Oasis were for a couple of years.

I would love to see a sequel based around them splitting up, there are rumours of what happened but the full story has never been told.

I read somewhere that the two brothers fell out (culminating in one branding the other a ‘knobhead’).

On 30/12/2017 at 5:29 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Supersonic romanticises a lot of it. There wasn’t a single mention of the whole Blur rivalry that was a significant part of those years, found that odd.

They lost didn’t they? Gorillaz v Beady Eye really isn’t a fair fight.

2 hours ago, Ohinever said:

I would love, live to see them at Glasto again. Just the thought of them coming out and the opening riff of "rock and roll star" kicking in is enough to make me very smiley. 

They were ghastly the last time mate. Borderline unlistenable.

They were ace on the main stage in 1995, but everyone else seems to think they were terrible. I mean I cant remember a thing about it but I can remember thinking it was brill afterwards. I guess it depends how old you were at the time, but I was right in my youthful prime and music snobbery had not yet taken root.

Edited by russycarps