Oasis

mufcok

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Which albums have been phenomenons since 2000? In terms of hype, anticipation and being an "event"?

I'd say Adele's 25, Lady Gaga's Born this Way perhaps? That Take That comeback album?

Rush of Blood to the Head, Back to Black, Sing When You're Winning...

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was Back to Black a massive deal on release? Or did its popularity grow afterwards?

Back to Black grew once it had been released I'd say.  Before it appeared AW wasn't really massive.  Previous albums had been well received but there wasn't hype or anticipation around it from what I remember.

Are we using the anticipation around Be Here Now as a marker?

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was Back to Black a massive deal on release? Or did its popularity grow afterwards?

Took a while yeah but she went global after it. 

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

none of those were anything like the oasis hype. Nowhere near.

Agree yeah. Different times though. Post Napster. But Robbie Williams played 3 sold out Knebworth shows on the back of it. 

We'll never see the likes of Oasis again. Too much other music out there these days. 

Edited by The Nal

Rank Year Title Artist Sales Reference
1 2015 25 Adele 800,307 [32]
2 1997 Be Here Now
Oasis 695,761 [33] 3 2010 Progress Take That 518,601 [34] 4 2005 X&Y Coldplay 464,471 [35] 5 2008 The Circus Take That 432,490 [36] 6 2009 I Dreamed a Dream Susan Boyle 411,820 [37] 7 2003 Life for Rent Dido 400,351 [38] 8 2007 Spirit Leona Lewis 375,872 [39] 9 2005 Intensive Care Robbie Williams 373,832 [40] 10 2006 Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Arctic Monkeys 363,735 [41]

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Different times though. Post Napster. But Robbie Williams played 3 sold out Knebworth shows on the back of it. 

We'll never see the likes of Oasis again. Too much other music out there these days. 

Yeah I agree. I dunno if it's a good thing or a bad thing. If I could live my life again I'd still go with the oasis hype I think, even if it did mean promoting 2 monumental bell ends.

It just felt good to be a part of something. 

I am not a football fan, but perhaps that's what being a football supporter is like. I've no idea.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:
Rank Year Title Artist Sales Reference
1 2015 25 Adele 800,307 [32]
2 1997 Be Here Now

Oasis 695,761 [33] 3 2010 Progress Take That 518,601 [34] 4 2005 X&Y Coldplay 464,471 [35] 5 2008 The Circus Take That 432,490 [36] 6 2009 I Dreamed a Dream Susan Boyle 411,820 [37] 7 2003 Life for Rent Dido 400,351 [38] 8 2007 Spirit Leona Lewis 375,872 [39] 9 2005 Intensive Care Robbie Williams 373,832 [40] 10 2006 Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Arctic Monkeys 363,735 [41]

That is just a barometer of sales though. "Hype" and cultural impact are different.

I'd argue there are a lot of more hyped albums than Dido "Life for rent"

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah I agree. I dunno if it's a good thing or a bad thing. If I could live my life again I'd still go with the oasis hype I think, even if it did mean promoting 2 monumental bell ends.

I am not a football fan, but perhaps that's what being a football supporter is like. I've no idea.

Actually it is. Well it is for me. I support a small team who will never do anything.

The run up to and beating Liverpool was like that.

If you support one of the big teams and it happens every week then it's probably different.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

If anyone was ever unlucky enough to study marketing they may have stumbled upon David McClellands Need for Affiliation theories. Music is one way yeah. Film nerds too. Football.......Star Trek........gang bangs.

I wouldn't change it either. Became proper obsessed with 3-4 bands as a result. For a while the only way you could see bands was on TOTP or The Word or something. Still clearly remember running round to a mates house to watch the debut of D'You What I Mean on MTV. They played it twice. Still have it recorded somewhere. Must dig it out. 

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Good thing all the way I think.  I don't know about you but I remember being told by elders that our generation had nothing like the impact of punk and all that sort of tosh. So having something like the broad brush that was Britpop (for me comparing Oasis with Pulp is like comparing Sex Pistols with Buzzcocks for example) that was very definitely ours was a massive thing.

33 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That is just a barometer of sales though. "Hype" and cultural impact are different.

I'd argue there are a lot of more hyped albums than Dido "Life for rent"

Indeed - so likewise sales of an album like Lemonade don't account for the impact across social media, the memes, the search for 'Becky with the good hair', etc.  People don't queue up overnight anymore, but the expectation around a release by, say, Drake is still in the same ballpark.

24 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah there was that feeling that it was ours, and the fact that older/posher people hated them, made it all the better. I really wish they had turned out to be better than the beatles. Imagine that, "our" band being the best ever! We'd still be basking in their glory now.

Quite the opposite. The worst thing about Oasia was that it led to Middle aged dads going to gigs with their teenage sons. It was so unthreatening that it removed the generation gap. Remove that and you remove any form of rebellion, which is the basis of pretty much ever interesting musical movement. Oasis pretty much led to a whole 20 years of mojo reading classic rock loving fuckknucles. 

All those middle aged men who felt vaguely threatened and confused by acid house and dance could suddenly relax again, their kids were listening to 4 boorish lads with guitars and proper songs with words and that. Something they could associate with.