Last 10 Albums

A Guy Called Matt

14 hours ago, Martin Ashford said:

Superior taste. I always hoped Jefferson Starship would get booked but it just never happened and now Kantner has gone. Same with Todd Rundgren but they did book Love and Arthur Lee was fantastic. Fogerty was also very good.

If I could see one band at the height of their powers, it would unquestionably be Jefferson Airplane. Preferably joined by Creedence :P I also picked up a copy of Red Octopus from Oxfam for 50p last year. Cracking album.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxes - All I need (going to see next month - Love to see at Glastonbury)

Van Morrison - His Band & Street Choir (Charity Shop, gap in collection)

Sia - This is Acting (Please, please play this year. You're heading to Europe anyway)

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Of Monsters & Men - Beneath the Skin (hoping will also play this year)

New Order - Music Complete (Anticipation of Other Stage Headlining)

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Streetcore (Fab album)

Last Shadow Puppets - (tickets for Usher Hall, and on Glastonbury wish list - Preorder Everything You Come to Expect)

Acoustic Cafe - Compilation album, quite good 

Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark (another charity shop gap in collection)

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

• Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits (blues era stuff) 
    Bluesy.
  • Booker T - Some sort of compilation.
    Groovy & scratchy
  • U2 - Unforgettable Fire.
    As expected.
  • ZZ Top - Fandango.
    Side B is a thing of bluesy joy. Side A could be any of a whole host of bar bands
  • Guy Garvey - Courting The Squall
    Love it, love it, love it.
  • Otis Redding - Otis Blue.
    Joyous.
  • Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid 
    Double vinyl (45 rpm) version which sounds twice as good as the old dodgy download version I have.
  • Ramones - Ramones.
    1, 2, 3, 4sy!
  • Jesse Malin - Outsiders.
    Excellent stuff from an old, under appreciated favourite of mine. Currently on tour and I can't go (sob)
  • St Paul & The Broken Bones - Half The City.
    Another one I previously only owned on dodgy download but love so much I had to buy it on vinyl as pay back.
Edited by Gnomicide

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:
  • Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits (blues era stuff) 
    Bluesy.
  • Booker T - Some sort of compilation.
    Groovy & scratchy
  • U2 - Unforgettable Fire.
    As expected.
  • ZZ Top - Fandango.
    Side B is a thing of bluesy joy. Side A could be any of a whole host of bar bands
  • Guy Garvey - Courting The Squall
    Love it, love it, love it.
  • Otis Redding - Otis Blue.
    Joyous.
  • Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid 
    Double vinyl (45 rpm) version which sounds twice as good as the old dodgy download version I have.
  • Ramones - Ramones. 1, 2, 3, 4sy!
    Excellent stuff from an old, under appreciated favourite of mine. Currently on tour and I can't go (sob)
  • St Paul & The Broken Bones - Half The City.
    Another one I previously only owned on dodgy download but love so much I had to buy it on vinyl as pay back.

I listened to a bit of St Paul & The Broken Bones when they appeared as TBC last year (I hadn't previously heard of them) - but then they never played(?) Never got round to buying the album - I take it you strongly recommend it? Couple of their You Tube clips are excellent. Any idea why they were no shows at the festival?

21 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I listened to a bit of St Paul & The Broken Bones when they appeared as TBC last year (I hadn't previously heard of them) - but then they never played(?) Never got round to buying the album - I take it you strongly recommend it? Couple of their You Tube clips are excellent. Any idea why they were no shows at the festival?

They played Hyde Park over the same weekend but didn't which was a bit gutting, I'm hopeful for this year as they are touring, in US until late May then in Europe with a couple of festivals confirmed for late July/August. 

If you liked the YouTube clips, the album is all on the same lines. Really great, old school soul stuff. 

PSB: Race for Space – direct result of seeing them at The Glade last year. Fantastic!

Chris Stapleton: - Traveller – really enjoyed his version of Tennessee Whisky at the CMA awards so thought id try the album. Mixed results 2 or 3 winners and a lot of clunkers.

Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot – Always liked the Mermaid Avenue collaborations with BB so thought id give them a try. Brilliant album and will proceed to build collection.

Sufjan Steven: Carrie & Lowell – beautiful album, but not too sure suitable for a performance in a field.

Of Monsters and Men: My head is an animal – bought before going to see them last year. Disappointing album and gig.

Bruce Springsteen: The River Collection boxset– xmas present. Not my favorite of his albums but plenty of outtakes to enjoy with vintage concert footage as bonus.

Hurts - Surrender: A poor album compared to the previous 2. Would deffo watch them if they were at Glasto though.

New Order - Music Complete: Not their greatest album and not one song from it could be considered amongst their finest. Yet it is a fun listen and a consistently good album all the way through. A welcome return to form and they will be the band I am looking forward the most to see at Glasto.

LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye: Tried really hard to get into them after all the hype on here. Just comes over as a substandard take on 80's British electro pop. When you think of the likes of New Order, Depeche Mode, Human League, Pet Shop Boys or Erasure etc, LCD don't get anywhere near these. They are like the Human League without the catchy songs. Will still watch them at Glasto though as hopefully they will win me over with their live performance and I may stop comparing them to the electro greats.

James - La Petite Mort: Typical James fare. Not their best album and got a bit boring after a few listens. Interrogation and Moving On are good songs but the rest are nothing to shout home about 

The Juan Maclean - In A Dream: Had never heard of them. One of their tunes came on Deezer when I had it on flow. Really liked it so got the album. Really liked that and then was really shocked to find out they had massive LCD connections.

Hot Chip - Why Make Sense: As with the New Order effort, not their best album but still a fun collection of songs. Need You Now can be considered amongst their best songs imo.

The Penelopes - Never Live Another Yesterday: Saw these supporting Human League and was pretty impressed. Totally forgot about them though till Deezer reminded me of their existence. Got right into their back catalogue and all their remixes. They are an utterly fantastic duo with fun, bright and extremely punchy pop songs. Would love to see them again but they seem very quiet at the minute. 

Edited by eastynh

7 hours ago, jparx said:

If I could see one band at the height of their powers, it would unquestionably be Jefferson Airplane. Preferably joined by Creedence :P I also picked up a copy of Red Octopus from Oxfam for 50p last year. Cracking album.

I never saw the Airplane but I saw the Starship a number of times and they were basically the Airplane without Grace, Jorma and Jack. The second time I saw them in 2002 they had Marty Balin and the most amazing hippy chick singer on board. Absolutely superb. I hope they continue in some form.

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye: Tried really hard to get into them after all the hype on here. Just comes over as a substandard take on 80's British electro pop. When you think of the likes of New Order, Depeche Mode, Human League, Pet Shop Boys or Erasure etc, LCD don't get anywhere near these. They are like the Human League without the catchy songs. Will still watch them at Glasto though as hopefully they will win me over with their live performance and I may stop comparing them to the electro greats.

I'm really struggling to see how you could have reached this opinion after liking Hot Chip and The Juan Maclean. It would definitely be possible (although still wrong) to say that LCD Soundsystem wear their influences too openly on their sleeve, but I hear far more Talking Heads, ESG, The Idiot era Iggy Pop and Station to Station/Berlin era Bowie than any 80s British electro pop. 

Savages, Adore Life - Such a brilliant album and really hoping they play because they're still one of the best live bands I've seen

Mystery Jets, Curve of the Earth - been on repeat since I got it. Not seen them for years so again I'm hoping they're on the lineup

Diiv, Is the Is Are - Never really liked the first record but this one is a good listen 

Porches, Pool - Only listened to it once so far but sounds promising. Sounds like it was released in the wrong season, probably be a nice summer soundtrack

Bill Ryder-Jones, West Kirby County Primary - I'd love to see Bill at Glasto

Sufjan Stevens, Carrie and Lowell - Only took me nearly year to get round to listening to this

26 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I'm really struggling to see how you could have reached this opinion after liking Hot Chip and The Juan Maclean. It would definitely be possible (although still wrong) to say that LCD Soundsystem wear their influences too openly on their sleeve, but I hear far more Talking Heads, ESG, The Idiot era Iggy Pop and Station to Station/Berlin era Bowie than any 80s British electro pop. 

I don't know mate. I love Hot Chip and really enjoyed The Juan Maclean. You would think I would like LCD but after giving them a really good go, I just found them bland and dull. It is the synths that I found similar to the 80's pop rather than the songs. It is early Human League and Confusion era New Order that they reminded me of.

1 hour ago, Martin Ashford said:

I never saw the Airplane but I saw the Starship a number of times and they were basically the Airplane without Grace, Jorma and Jack. The second time I saw them in 2002 they had Marty Balin and the most amazing hippy chick singer on board. Absolutely superb. I hope they continue in some form.

Awesome stuff! Incredibly jealous. 

PSB, Race for space - Absolutely incredible album, had it on repeat in the car for a good week, Gutted I wasn't at glasto last year to see them

Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited - very little needs to be said, legendary album

ELO , Out of the Blue - On the day of the announcement, good listen but didn't get too excited after listening

Radiohead, In Rainbows - Excellent album, Beginning to really get into radiohead, not completely there yet

Bloc party, Hymns - Pretty shit, I seem to have enjoyed it a bit more than most though, there a few individuals songs I love

Bob Dylan, The freewheelin' Bob Dylan - I just ask myself if its possible thats its even better than highway 61

Savages, Adore life - Excellent album, I enjoy it more after every listen

Wilco, Summerteeth - Only had 1 listen, not completely sold, but i think it'll grow on me

Against Me, Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Finally got round to listening, excellent album 

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

i actually discovered him in the 'New Tent'..back in '03 i think it was? seen him a few times since as well (but I don't think he's been back to the farm since?) and at one of Springsteen's New Jersey/Giants Stadium gigs that I was at he was brought on as a guest...

has a bit of an ego i've felt though, thinking his shows are the best thing ever....i went off his live act after seeing it a few times...i can imagine him telling everyone "oh, yeah, when the Boss brought me on at the Meadowlands..."

he was even trying to pick up on my missus after a show once (IOTA club, Wash DC)

6 hours ago, Harry49 said:

Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot – Always liked the Mermaid Avenue collaborations with BB so thought id give them a try. Brilliant album and will proceed to build collection.

build indeed. you should pick up their live releases they do through their website www.wilcoworld.net - they make their records sound much better 'live'...

don't want to 'curse it' by doing so now, but surely when they get confirmed or seem extremely likely for this year there will surely be a "Wilco 2016" thread going with the Wilco fanatics on here that you'll get into...

On 2/10/2016 at 3:16 PM, Gnomicide said:

They played Hyde Park over the same weekend but didn't which was a bit gutting, I'm hopeful for this year as they are touring, in US until late May then in Europe with a couple of festivals confirmed for late July/August. 

If you liked the YouTube clips, the album is all on the same lines. Really great, old school soul stuff. 

One St Paul & The Broken Bones album ordered thanks to reading this and checking them out!  

Running backwards, (latest - oldest bought)

1. Bowie - Blackstar. Still not managed to listen to it. Tried on the monday he died. Sounded too sad, turned it off. I need to revisit.

2. Kendrick Lamar - To pimp a butterfly. This album has been debated on hear to death. It is great. Nuff said. Would I see him? Dead right.

3. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Paper mache dream balloon. They were fantastic last year. I have a ticket to see them a week on monday in Manchester. Would be welcome back, but I want to spend my time seeing acts I haven't seen or haven't in a while.

4. Powersolo -  The real sound. I love this bunch. Reminds me of Iggy Pop, but a bit silly. Would I see them on the farm? Absolutely. Can imagine a lot disliking them, but I get it.

5. Joy Division -  Unknown Pleasures. Having never really listened to that much Joy Division I decided to purchase Unknown Pleasures. An enjoyable listen. Sounded pretty dated to me though. Of it's time 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

The last 6 that i've listened to more than a couple of times. Not bought much music recently..spotify is bad.

Nonkeen - The Gamble; Thanks electronica thread! 

Baroness - Purple; 

Floating Points - Elaenia;

Daughter - Not to Disappear;

Savages - Adore Life;

Bowie - Blackstar;

Edited by krisskross

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:16 PM, Gnomicide said:

St. Paul & the Broken Bones have just announced a gig at Koko on the 21st June, so looking even more hopeful now!

On 10/02/2016 at 3:53 PM, eastynh said:

This makes my brain hurt.

I look forward to your "Not as good as OMD" review after Glasters. :mellow:

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

This makes my brain hurt.

I look forward to your "Not as good as OMD" review after Glasters. :mellow:

I am hoping to enjoy them at Glasto. It will be nice to have a cultural reference point to them rather than just listening to them on my own at home.

Never really got into OMD so I may as well give my Glasto review now and it is 'Not a patch on New Order' ;-)