Last 10 Albums

A Guy Called Matt

What are the last 6 albums you have purchased/downloaded and are they any good? Which of the acts would you hope to see at Glastonbury 2016?

Mine are:

Savages - Adore Life. Superb 2nd album, would love to see them there.

New Order - Music Complete. Never listened to the latest album until they were TBC and realised I had missed a good listen.

Shearwater - Jet Plane and Oxbow. Good for darkened room listening, not sure they would be a good live band.

Eagles and Butterflies - Abstract. Great Electronic band, hope they pop up somewhere late at night.

I Kong - A little Walk. Excellent Dub/Reggae. Perfect for any afternoon in the sunshine.

Archive - Restriction. Interesting album, very diverse and quite dark in places. One for JP early afternoon maybe.

Hopefully you will now post stuff I have never heard of so I get to hear something new :-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owl John - Owl John - Ok, but not as good as Frightened Rabbit, who I think could be at Glastonbury this year.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Brilliant album, terrible performance from him last year.

The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come - Not as good as all the other Smith's albums I own. Would love a reformation but it won't happen.

Ed Sheeran - X - Really good album, but think he may be saving a headline appearance for 2017.

Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were - Great album, but he won't return this year.

Belle And Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister - Fantastic album, but they won't return this year, but I'd love it if they did!

From most recent....

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - on vinyl for a fiver in Smiths, as part of a magazine.  Dead

Black Crowes - Amorica - vinyl reissue. Broke up.

Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace of Sin - xmas gift - broke up / dead

Radiohead - In Rainbows - xmas gift - would see them dependant on clashes

Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams - xmas gift  - would see them dependant on clashes

Kamasi Washington - The epic - gift - would definitely see him

Can - Future Days - broke up.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - would definitely see them

Level 42 - A Physical Presence - charity shop - would see them dependant on clashes

Grateful Dead - Dead Set - would definitely see any variation of them

That's quite a mix tape I can make there...

Savages - Adore Life: Not as good as their first but has some cracking tracks on it. Happy to see them again, but did see them last year and will see them in 2 weeks time anyway.

Daughter - Not to Disappear: Just superb! Already a contender for album of the year for me. Would love to see them again but saw them a couple of weeks ago anyway.

Kagoule - Urth: Another band do the 90s thing, this time with a more grungey sound. High on my list of not seen bands so yes please Glastonbury.

Gwenno - Y Dydd Olaf: Also on my not yet seen bands list, but rectifying that next month. Hopefully Glastonbury too.

erm, will have a think about the rest as my mind is going blank!

Last 10 I bought:

Bloc Party - Hymns (It's ok, quite pedestrian and certainly doesn't feel like Bloc Party anymore. Loved them on the Other Stage in 2009, wouldn't watch them if they were there this year)

Suede - Night Thoughts (Excellent, great to have a band reform and make music as good as - if not better - than before the split.  Seeing them at the 6 Music Festival so not bothered about a Glasto appearance.  Unlikely anyway given they headlined JP in '15).

Daughter - Not To Disappear (Beautiful, absorbing.  Seeing them for the first time at the 6 Music Festival.  Is suspect they'll be at the farm too, high Park?)

Mystery Jets - Telomere (Wonderful.  One of our most underrated bands I think, they often get wrongly categorised with some of the throwaway indie landfill bands that came out at the same time but these guys are much better.   Would like to see them at Glasto and think they could play almost anywhere really).

Savages - Adore Life (a bit less urgent than the debut but still a great record. They were excellent playing to an empty JP tent in '13 and I'd be keen to see them again to a bigger crowd).

King Charles - Gamble For A Rose (sounds like a Mumford cast off really, he's lost a lot of his personality in having Marcus produce the record. He's far better live than on record though).

Coasts - Coasts (It's generic pop really but I have a soft spot for a lot of the tunes after seeing them life last year. Can't see them being back at Glasto, imagine the label have made a bit of a loss on this record).

Sia - This Is Acting (It's OK but I really long for the Sia of the early to mid 00's.  She's doing a few festivals so could have a big Pyramid spot unless she opts for T or V who will pay her more).

Hinds - Leave Me Alone (this is sensational and I'd love to see them at Glasto. They played early JP last year but I didn't know them at that point so didn't watch.  Hopefully they'll be back, probably mid Park and I will be there.  It's a beautiful racket this album).

David Bowie - Blackstar (Bought this on release day, not expecting what was going to happen a few days later.  He's certainly gone out with a bang musically, it's a beautiful, mysterious and innovative record.  I hope he's honoured at Glasto in some way.)

Deerhunter - Fading Frontier. Sunny. Would watch them.

Jennylee - Right On. Moody. Would pretty much watch her scratch her arse, to be honest.

Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes. Zazzy. Already done Glastonbury.

Jason Lytle - House Show. Intimate. Would watch him chop wood.

Grimes - Art Angels. Prefer the original Realiti. Would watch.

Ludovico Einaudi - Elements. Stunning. Highly unlikely to be on the farm. 

Edited by Woffy

58 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

From most recent....

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - on vinyl for a fiver in Smiths, as part of a magazine.  Dead

Black Crowes - Amorica - vinyl reissue. Broke up.

Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace of Sin - xmas gift - broke up / dead

Radiohead - In Rainbows - xmas gift - would see them dependant on clashes

Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams - xmas gift  - would see them dependant on clashes

Kamasi Washington - The epic - gift - would definitely see him

Can - Future Days - broke up.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - would definitely see them

Level 42 - A Physical Presence - charity shop - would see them dependant on clashes

Grateful Dead - Dead Set - would definitely see any variation of them

That's quite a mix tape I can make there...

Grateful Dead and Level 42 back to back...that would be an eyebrow-raiser at checkout counter at your record store ringing up those two...

4 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

Grateful Dead and Level 42 back to back...that would be an eyebrow-raiser at checkout counter at your record store ringing up those two...

I once bought Elvis Costello's "Get Happy!!" and Richie Hawtin's "Decks, EFX & 909" in the same visit to a record shop counter. Got a look that was like:

NEnXI80OKV3gqw_1_3.jpg

56 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Last 10 I bought:

Mystery Jets - Telomere (Wonderful.  One of our most underrated bands I think, they often get wrongly categorised with some of the throwaway indie landfill bands that came out at the same time but these guys are much better.   Would like to see them at Glasto and think they could play almost anywhere really).

Ive seen them play Williams Green a few years back. 2011 maybe? "Two Doors Down" is a banger.

27 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Ive seen them play Williams Green a few years back. 2011 maybe? "Two Doors Down" is a banger.

Indeed it is.  I can see them doing WG again this year or maybe Park? 

Also just remembered that the new Mystery Jets album is called Curve of the Earth rather than Telomere.  Apologies.

57 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

Not totally outrageous - that Level 42 album is live and is actually quite jammy in parts.

No slap bass on the Dead album though.

Jesu/Sun Kil Moon - Jesu/Sun Kil Moon

Ty Segull - Emotional Mugger

David Bowie - Blackstar

Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak

Father John Misty - Fear Fun

Cage The Elephant - Tell Me I'm Pretty

TWIABPAIANLATD - Harmlessness

Adventures - Supersonic Home

Eluvium - Copia

Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness

David Bowie - Blackstar: superb, innovative album, I love it, never seen him never will

Lucinda Williams - Ghosts of Highway 20: Just seen her at Celtic Connections, and although I love all her music not bothered about any unlikely Glastonbury appearance as she can be a bit mixed live

Jason Isbell - Southeastern: This and the most recent release makes him my most played new discovery, 100% see him if he's playing, best thing out of the US for a while

Moby - Hotel Ambient: Only seen him once, at Glastonbury, can't see him returning anytime soon

Lee Scratch Perry - Mr Perry I Presume: Seen him recently, loved his Glade set a few years back, anything like that again I'll be there, he could be a good option for West Holts

Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours: Don't laugh, been exploring the old jazz greats, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, etc, and I'm blown away by the awesome singing

Bloc Party - Hymns. Not their best effort but a lot better than I anticipated. Seeing them this week so won't mind if I have to miss them at Glasto as clashes with bands I like and haven't seen are likely.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes. Brilliant album. Would like him to headline one year but seems unlikely as he rarely plays in Europe.

New Order - Music Complete. Their best album in 30 years easily. Really good. Looking forward to seeing them headline the other stage.

Chvrches - Every Open Eye. As good as their first album which is high praise indeed. Hoping to catch them at Glastonbury.

Manics - Rewind The Film. Not actually listened to this yet...maybe a bit early for them to return to Glasto. Not really sure what slot they'd get now.

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet. If you listen to one album off this list make it this. Outstanding. Zero chance of Glasto though seeing as they're split up and I doubt they'd ever play it even if they were still going.

19 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours: Don't laugh, been exploring the old jazz greats, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, etc, and I'm blown away by the awesome singing

Why would anyone laugh?! 

Check out Ella singing the Cole Porter songbook. So much win. 

23 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

This is a cracking read on Sinatra

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n13/ian-penman/swoonatra

4 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Brilliant album, terrible performance from him last year.

Yeah it is a cracker!

Mine: 

The Beatles 1967-70 by The Beatles 

Lo Chiamavano Trinita by Franco Micalizzi 

Second Helping by Lynyrd Skynyrd 

Greatest Hits by Red Hot Chilli Peppers 

Holy Fire by Foals

If You Wait by London Grammar

AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP by A$AP Rocky

Abbey Road by The Beatles

VHS by X Amassadors

Born in the Echoes by Chemical Brothers

Robyn - Body Talk Pt1 - I'm hopeful she'll be there, would definitely watch her 

Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation - Saw he was calling it a day, so relived his debut, loved it at the time - Might come along on his way to quiting it, would watch

Kölsch - 1983 - Some fucking superb techno beats - I think unlikely but would definitely be there 

Jamiroquai - Travelling without moving - I'm a massive fan of this record, listen to it frequently - Wouldn't totally right off, but would definitely be there 

Mew - +- - was recommended to me, didn't mind it actually, it was worth a spin - I can't see them playing this year, would go by out of curiosity 

Looking at the recently purchased list on my iPhone I have.....

1. Visionist - Safe - Instrumental grime, I love it but not for everyone

2. Hinds - Leave Me Alone - Brilliant album, saw them at Glastonbury last year, seeing them twice on their current tour, unapologetic fanboy

3. Littlebabyangel - Littlebabyangel - An EP in truth, saw him supporting Hudson Mohawke in London

4. Arca - Mutant - Odd electronic music, like the Visionist album, I love it but understand why a lot of people wouldn't

5. Erykah Badu - But You Caint Use My Phone - Lovely mixtape/album, interesting beats and she is as ever on form vocally

6. The Bug - London Zoo - Wanted to grab this for ages and got a voucher for Christmas so picked it up, oldie but a goodie

All quite electronic leaning clearly.