Last 10 Albums

A Guy Called Matt

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Mew - +- - was recommended to me, didn't mind it actually, it was worth a spin - I can't see them playing this year, would go by out of curiosity 

I found the new Mew album all a bit average. If you are new to Mew ( :D ) then definitely listen to their album Frengers. Its a cracker!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Jason Isbell - Southeastern: This and the most recent release makes him my most played new discovery, 100% see him if he's playing, best thing out of the US for a while

I have a pile of ten albums on my desk including the aforementioned Mr. Isbell and I concur wholeheartedly, an immense songwriting talent (His most recent is "Something More Than Free" is my favourite album for a long time), I loved him as part of Drive By Truckers. I notice that he is on the Green Man Festival announcement. If he plays G I will miss anyone else on the bill to see him.

The other nine, in no particular order or genre...

Trembling Bells - The Sovereign Self

Martyn Joseph - Songs For The Coming Home

Joanna Newsom - Divers

Einojuhanni Rautavaara - Cantus Arcticus

Kurt Vile - B'lieve I'm Goin Down...

Mugwump - Unspell

Tame Impala - Currents

Tom Lehrer - Songs and More Songs By

Joanne Shaw Taylor - Songs From The Road

Mostly Chrimbo presents and I haven't listened to all of them yet!

Last six I bought

Daughter - Not to Disappear : Great album, missed them on tour recently, so would love to see them at Glastonbury

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell : Finally got round to buying it, after having on my music subscription.  Album of the year from 2015 for me.  He was superb at EOTR last summer and he would be an excellent Park headliner if it ever were to come off.  Can't se it happening, but I would not miss it is it did come to pass.

John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure : Loved his previous work, and still getting to grips with this album.  He always delivers live, so would be a must see.

Low - Ones and Sixes.  Another excellent album from Low, who are under-rated in my opinion .  Again a highlight from EOTR last year.  They would be an excellent late night listen live, and I would definitely be there.

Tindersticks - the Waiting Room.  Still to get round to giving this a full listen, but would definitely recommend them live.  I think they played the acoustic stage a couple of years ago, and it did not disappoint.

Julia Holter - I Have You in my Wilderness.  I do like this album and the way she sounds, and would probably have this on my list to see if she plays Glastonbury this year.

Radiohead - Kid A and In Rainbows, sounding pretty good so far, but really not what I'd usually listen to. So far they're looking like a band I'll admire but not love. If there's no clashes I'll more than happily go to see them at Glastonbury, they were very good at Leeds festival in 09.

Brand New - Deja Entendu, couple of tracks can fuck off, but I like it quite a lot so far. They're not going to be at Glastonbury, so let's just forget that.

Kamasi Washington - The Epic, been streaming this stuff as individual tracks for months and months, finally bought the whole thing last week. This motherfucker is three hours long, and I've already sat and listened to it in full without interruption three times. It's keeping me sane it work, I think I might be in love with it. I'd love him to play Glastonbury, hopefully his pals Thundercat and Flying Lotus have told him what a great time it was.

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love, I pre-ordered this on CD when it came out, just now upgraded to vinyl with the aid of xmas vouchers. It's still amazing, I love this band. They're not playing Glastonbury

The Knife - Silent Shout, another vinyl upgrade, one of my favourite records of its time. The Knife no longer exists, nobody knows what's going on with Fever Ray.

Death Grips - The Money Store, been intending to buy it for years. Exmilitary is better. Probably wont be playing Glastonbury.

Can't remember what else I've bought. I've got the new Emmy The Great on pre-order, her latest EP was brilliant, hope she's at G but don't know, going to see her doing Band On The Wall in a few weeks anyway.

Off the top of my head, the last 10 I bought were...

1. DIIV - haven't announced much yet but they would be a good booking. Top live band.

2. Savages - a shoe in, surely?

3. Daughter - see above

4. Julia Holter - seemingly more open to playing festivals on this tour but nothing in the UK yet... I remain hopeful for Glastonbury.

5. Joanna Newsom - exclusive at EOTR GRRRR

6. Father John Misty - possibly playing, afternoon on the Pyramid?

7. Lana Del Rey - unlikely to return so soon.

8. Beach House - will probably play, hopefully in a high slot on The Park.

9. Laura Marling - very unlikely IMO, such a shame she has been away for so long :/

10. Foals - hadn't considered it but they're now a SR :D

All brilliant albums, 2015 was kind. I bought others and have others on pre-order... hopefully they all show up at the farm!

Jarrod Dickenson - The Lonesome Traveler - Was a gorgeous hangover calming treat on the Saturday at Glastonbury last year. Finally got round to picking up the album, and off to see him in London tonight, a little bit country.

Sia - This Is Acting - Always loved her voice from Zero 7 on, was fortunate enough to see her perform at the Barfly after her first album.  Surprising that these songs were rejected.  More poppy and upbeat than the stuff she writes for herself.

Speedometer ft. James Junior - Soulful funk, discovered Speedometer by accident, and have been picking up everything they've done.  Can imagine they're fantastic live.  I do like me some horns.

Bob Moses - Days Gone By - Heard one of their songs being played in a bar in Reykjavik in the summer, chilled electronic pop noises, most pleasing.

Beirut - No No No - Not given it as much time as it deserves yet, but I've always found I need to be in the right mood to listen to them.  Enjoyed my first couple of listens, but nothing's stuck in my head yet.

The Bronx (IV) - Accidentally got tickets to see them in December at the Brooklyn Bowl in London (misread something about one of the supports) - thought I'd better check them out.  This is the most accessible of their albums, but I probably prefer the heavier earlier ones.  Live, they were a snarling punk maelstrom, excellent.  Wish I'd seen their Mariachi alter egos the night before as well! 

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.A.A.d City

Wolf Alice - Creature Songs

Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress

FM - Rumours

AC/DC - For Those About To Rock (hearing that title track at Glastonbury would be unbelievable)

Dylan - Highway 69 Revisited 

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

Of those I'd particularly love to see some form of Grateful Dead as well as Kendrick Lamar and John Fogerty. I imagine Wolf Alice will be there again this year. Dylan would be really cool too in a mid afternoon slot with a pint of cider in hand (doubt it'll happen though).

Grace Jones - Fame (to follow on from her book)

How to play the Cajon (for me to learn my new toy)

BBC Folk Awards 2015 (ripped from a gift i gave)

Wicked the Musical (ripped from a gift i gave)

Kate Rusby - The frost is over (ripped from a gift i gave)

Jools Holland - Solo Piano (charity shop find)

Little Metropolis - (Musical poetry about the town Stroud that I crowdfunded)

Fauré - Requiem (the school choir performed it)

Pedal Folk (a cycling touring folk band that played a living room gig at a friends house)

Proclaimers - The very best of (filling in a gap before I saw them)

Last 6:

Bloc Party  - Hymns. Despite the reviews I quite like it. Would always want to see them at Glastonbury but going to see them next week so if clashing I might give them a miss

Savages  - Adore Life. Good album. Seen them a few times and enjoyed them a lot but other half not keen

Hinds - Leave me alone. Would love to see them at Glastonbury.

Bleached - Ride a Your Heart. New album out soon. Unlikely to be at Glastonbury but I'd be there if they were.

Grimes - Art Angels. Late onto this one. Note she's a strong rumour.

Dolores Haze - The Haze is Forever. Saw them at Latitude last year. They'd be great for an early JP slot.

i seem to be into female bands at the moment!

Just now, ian the worm said:

Yes. My niece has great taste.

Tradition dictates the CD is the first we put in the stereo on our annual trip down to Latitude. The play is brilliant in the first half, and looses it spectacularly in the second, but the soundtrack remains amazing all the way through.

26 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Thee oh sees - mutilator defeated at last. Christmas present that I can't get enough of. Never had much to do with these before but if this is typical I'll be exploring their back catalogue in depth. Any recommendations received gratefully. 

only got in to these properly myself over the past year but Floating Coffin is a personal favourite. this song especially is just amazing. pretty cool video as well actually

Mutilator Defeated At Last is probably their most accessible album though i thought. they haven't really released a bad album though - just varying degrees of great

Edited by FloorFiller

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, RyanS said:

Savages - Adore Life (a bit less urgent than the debut but still a great record. They were excellent playing to an empty JP tent in '13 and I'd be keen to see them again to a bigger crowd).

I saw that, they were great, but it also gave me one of my depressive moments at Glastonbury -Jenny Beth shouted out that they loved John Peel and the youngsters around me asked each other John who?

On 04/02/2016 at 6:57 AM, Greenelk said:

Bob Moses - Days Gone By - Heard one of their songs being played in a bar in Reykjavik in the summer, chilled electronic pop noises, most pleasing.

The Bronx (IV) - Accidentally got tickets to see them in December at the Brooklyn Bowl in London (misread something about one of the supports) - thought I'd better check them out.  This is the most accessible of their albums, but I probably prefer the heavier earlier ones.  Live, they were a snarling punk maelstrom, excellent.  Wish I'd seen their Mariachi alter egos the night before as well! 

Bob Moses is wonderful stuff.. All In All is worth checking out.  They are in Europe around Glastonbury time, so fingers crossed

The Bronx IV is grand because it has Life Less Ordinary on it :) ... Would say my fave is still Bronx II ... live they are brilliant, as are Mariachi El Bronx.  Surely Glastonbury need them both to play, Bronx on JP stage, Mariachi El Bronx elsewhere :D

Seeing as I've replied.

Vessels - Dilate : Post Rock from Leeds, a great soundtrack to my life at the moment as I move through it.

Breton - War Room Stories : Up beat indie stuff, think Everything Everything, or first album Friendly Fires.  Addictive little album, S4 being my favourite track.

Vondelpark - Seabed : Indie pop apparently.  I've filed it under balearic indie, music with guitars perfect for a sunset.  Slow motion, faded sounds.  Sounds like an Instagram filter... but in a good way.

Daniel Avery - Drone Logic : Late to the party on this, well produced main room dance material.  Required for morning journey to work.

Zella Day - Kicker : Like Lana Del Ray but a bit less crazy, or Taylor Swift but not as carefully stage managed and produced.  Pop singer songwriter from that there US of A.  Highlights would be High and East of Eden for me.

Since the start of the year I've done nothing but stream music (sorry music industry, I'll buy some more albums soon).

Oh damn.. I also bought The Sword - High Country on that there vinyl, because it was an awesome colour.  Highlights - The entire album, every last little bit of it.

Carly Rae Jepson        E-Mo-Tion       Superior girly pop   Would bring the John Peel to its knees

Ozric Tentacles           Pyramidion      Charity shop find -   I forgot how awesome they are - once had a high Pyramid slot

Coldplay             A Rush Of Blood to  the  head  -  Charity shop  --they might go down quite well

Grateful Dead  Fare Thee Well Box     Trey Anastasio makes a fine Garcia stand in - my ultimate Glasto fantasy addition

King Crimson      Live at the Orpheum     Phenomenal three drummers line up - essential West Holts stuff - one of the best gigs I've ever seen actually

Lana Del Rey       Honeymoon       Very deep moodiness. I'd like to watch her again without having broke my arm the night before

Edited by Martin Ashford

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, jparx said:

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.A.A.d City

Wolf Alice - Creature Songs

Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress

FM - Rumours

AC/DC - For Those About To Rock (hearing that title track at Glastonbury would be unbelievable)

Dylan - Highway 69 Revisited 

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

Of those I'd particularly love to see some form of Grateful Dead as well as Kendrick Lamar and John Fogerty. I imagine Wolf Alice will be there again this year. Dylan would be really cool too in a mid afternoon slot with a pint of cider in hand (doubt it'll happen though).

Superior taste. I always hoped Jefferson Starship would get booked but it just never happened and now Kantner has gone. Same with Todd Rundgren but they did book Love and Arthur Lee was fantastic. Fogerty was also very good.

1 minute ago, Martin Ashford said:

Superior taste. I always hoped Jefferson Starship would get booked but it just never happened and now Kantner has gone. Same with Todd Rundgren but they did book Love and Arthur Lee was fantastic. Fogerty was also very good.

Would love if Todd Rundgren played. West Holts would be an ideal fit.