Counting the days...how many is it today?

nigenet

33 minutes ago, Sindigo said:

Ha! Don't worry SC--no offence taken if that's your concern. I would far rather cruise around on a 125 for as long as it takes to gain the experience it takes to handle a bigger bike and run the risk of looking uncool with an L plate than rush it, go straight to something I can't handle and end up in tree. Very few can pull off cool from a hospital bed.

That being said, that little Honda 125 is a very cool looking bike, to me at least. I would be very happy indeed with that as my first bike. 

Wise words Sindig0 although you may find learning to ride easier on a standard factory bike, rather than a custom bike. Custom bikes that are affordable are usually made in "some blokes shed" like I am doing, so handling etc is not always good particularly if they have altered the frame.. The little Honda was a Bobber with hardtail, so they probably will have played around with the electrics to hide the ugly stuff (like I am doing) which is only a problem if you are trying to do some home maintenance and it doesn't look anything like the manual says. But a hardtail makes it look ultra cool with wonderful lines BUT you have no rear suspension, just a rigid frame, so you would need buttocks of granite and the handling may be affected. With learning to ride you have a hell of a lot to learn and think about, you do not want to add to that poor handling or braking in my opinion. Once you know you can ride safely then follow your dreams and have fun :)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all, was stuck on the M25 trying to got through them Dartford crossing yesterday evening. Picking son and girlfriend up from Stanstead. It's about 1 hour 10 min trip normally,  I left at 5:30 got to them 5 hours later! 

Right coffee anyone :D

1. Blimeying Heck!! Hansel und Gretal!! Howard und Hilda! Jings Crivens help ma Boab!!!!!

169 (subject to negotiation) days until WOMAD UK !!!! Oh my!! OH MY!!

(Confirmed by Nigenet http://www.nigenet.org.uk/stuff/womadcount/ and Purpledawn ticks another day off on her calendar)YAY!!!!!
    KeEp TwInKliNg aNd TwIrLiNg AnD SpArKliNg AnD FiZzIng AwAyWomadtastic is a fabulous word!!
    Fabulous is a WOMADtastic word!! Yay!!

21 CUDDLY WEEKENDS until WOMAD uk 2016

The WOMAD UK equinox as been an gone and WOMAD UK 2016 is getting closer all the time, blimey!

Womad Fuerteventura has been and gone

3 days until WOMAD Chile 

WOMAD Caceres will flow with rivers of wee in 2016 (How delightful!)

30 days until WOMAdelaide

37 days until WOMAD New Zealand

198 days until Jax can hang up them that boots and chill out barefoot and banjo-laden on the porch

For that WOMAD feeling and to hear some of this years artists listen to Munners Wanderlust Radio athttp://www.lanternman.co.uk and may be Peter G will let Radio WOMAD broadcast all year round

The forum was all backwards but the WOMAD IT Pixie got us back to normal until the GREAT ISOLATION of 2013/14 luckily we're all back together (apart from the weekend break in June 15 and the forum holiday at WOMAD Fuerteventura in November 2015) We moved to a shiny new forum on the 04/02/16 and the orginal countdown thread had reached 21540 reply's and 2154 pages!

Del illuminated Womad 2014..and started a trend.. SS hubby joined in with lit up Mad Hatter look!! and how they both sparkled in 2015, Jax lip got zipped and her daughters wellies chafed (ouch), Hootdrummer forgot his tent (oops), SC left his tiger at home, Standing Stone looked great on a t shirt, Digital Monkey lost his Chai cherry, Purpledawn enjoyed fresh ground coffee in her fab festival cafetiere, Baz's tankard went to the bar and never came back but hopefully it will be found, DorsetSteve learned Moog should be pronounced Moag, Jambo Yoti climbed a ladder to help with a half prie sale, DorsetHelen started with a cheese toastie (yum) but forgot to have a cider, Bassworm dad danced all weekend, LG_ went for Cranberry and soda, Hubby got all horny with one of Munks of Tashi Lhunpo's long horns, Rendrags walk across the fields to have a great time in the foul weather and mud, The Smurf put up his tent in the driving rain, Sindig0 Met up with loads of the forum crew then mainly kept dry in his tent :o( Bloohair had Kedgery and slept all the way home and we all got muddy in 2015 but will there be mud in 2016?

The Winter solstice has solsticed and they sun getting up earlier

Spring is on the way again

Autumn was golden and the sofa was very comfortable

Early bird tickets are hatching fast so you better be quick

1 day until tomorrow. (Another day closer – yet it never seems to come)

3 days until Bacon Butty Friday (other butties and Fridays are available) but what colour is your sauce and brown, red, yellow or white? (Depends on the curry and the company, Cheeky! - Saucy, even!)

Celtic Connections (The Whisky soaked WOMAD of the Celts or is it kilts?) 2016 banging out the tunes and the hip flasks have been drained and they'll be going all again in 348 days time 

Santa has emptyed his sack (Ooh er!), did you get what you wanted? if not may be this year!

the FIERCE EYEBROWS of the 'Scottish' Doctor Who has returned in his doc martin boots and the face of Cardinal Richelieu will he rock out Missy? Or have they already??

THE SUN IS STILL HERE (hopefully it will be around for a few billion WOMADs) YAY!!! YAY!!!!YAY!!!! (Can't see it, mind)

What will you have in your hip flask or flasks?

and........

Don't talk to strangers...unless they're really strange!
    Don't write in starlight 'Cause the words may come out real
    Don't forget to wear sunblock
    Don't cut the red wire
    Keep your wellies dry on the inside
    Never spit at a camel
    Don't be gay (or democratic) in Russia (and don't swear!)
    Never boil a kettle - it doesn't bubble as much as water.
    Age is only important to cheese and wine and historians
    Badgers aren't to blame
    Don't let the hamsters nest in your mouth over night
    If you take your teeth out at night, remember to get them home by 10.00pm!
    Wear red and a large face bush when you're on Winterwatch Unsprung
    Have a coffee before you watch a Japanese epic
    When all at sea hang onto a floating island
    In space no one wants to sneeze
    Let your son pay for the curry when he eats more than you do
    Vote Hamster
    Hug a Beaver!
    Don't wave blue lights behind the back of police officer
    Wave a flag in front of a stove pipe hat
    Vote Bob!
    Eurovision is best enjoyed on the WOMAD forum
    Twitter power keeps the forum online
    I don't get this Euro debt crisis - it's all Greek to me!
    Mud is good for the skin
    What will be WOMAD 2016 fashion must have wellies?
    and

...WOMAD isn't just for the summer it's for life (Always good advice- THE best advice)

:D:D:D

Mornings all :):) 

PAs are serving pancakes with all coffees, teas etc; there are a variety of toppings; help yourself. Sounds like you could really do with some after that journey S.C.! :):)

Sindig0, I've passed your love and advice on to Jambo; thanks. :):) 

Jambo has sent us another update; by way of an intro, I had said:

" Hope relaxing on a Bali beach isn't being too stressful; I could manage about 5 mins before a sense of "right, that's enough" emerging :)"

Jambo's response:

"Not to stress..coolest place to be, under a sunshade and a breeze..which at around 80%+humidity.. Is a relief. Also deep in a book, with swims, lime juice and lunch breaking the time up was very relaxing. Had supper in a cafe on the beach and discovered that under the bank of cloud for the last two days was a stunning volcano in the distance. Wonderful to see..it then tantalisingly hid again!
No I can't see much..occasionally I get a post..but no sense of what going on..so if not too much of a drag..please do send me anything linked to me or any mad adventures that happen. I really, really don't like this ...a real drawback to this new forum! There minor tantrum over for the day..brekkie and then the boat.
Love and hugs 
Xxxx"

So, if you have any messages for Jambo, or a synopsis of the forum posts, I'll be happy to pass them on :):) 

For Jambo and Cal and Del who have been, S.C. and Jax who are on the brink of going, and everyone else who is interested, I have to share this for the pleasure of the landscape and understanding of Icelandic people and their roots.... We loved it and hope you do too:

The Viking Sagas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0110gnv

18 hours ago, SC said:

"so you would need buttocks of granite and the handling may be affected.... Once you know you can ride safely then follow your dreams and have fun :)

As I have anything but buttocks of granite right now and a strong desire to keep what buttocks I do have attached and unscathed, I will take your advice I think. Lots of cruisers for sale on ebay. Some Chinese imports very much look the part but probably won't hold their value but loads of older Suzukis and the like around too. I think I'll pop into the local bike shop and try out a few when the weather improves. I'm booking my CBT through them also and they seem very helpful.

1 hour ago, standing stone said:

Enjoy all things pancakes! I hope Sindig0 and Amelie have extra messy fun time! :):) 

Pancake day is Mrs SIndigo's thing, I'm not a huge fan (especially when dieting). So I will leave the messy fun to the two of them this evening and spend some time with #2 daughter--likely chewing Duplo, which is her favourite pastime.

1 hour ago, Cal and Del said:

Sindig0 you really need to find a local independent coffee shop only then will your caffeine journey really begin

#damnfinecupofcoffee

I wish. The nearest independent coffee shop is a trek from the office and I don't typically get the time when running out for coffee. I'm often jealous of your tweets on the subject. :) Sounds like you've had a fun-filled few days and deserve a good coffee or two though! 

46 minutes ago, Sindigo said:

. Some Chinese imports very much look the part but probably won't hold their value.........

.I'm booking my CBT through them also and they seem very helpful...

I personally would not touch the Chinese imports with a barge pole.....  They are very cheap copies of bikes like the Honda CG125 (an extremely good engine) but the Chinese ones are very poor quality copies and nothing like a Honda. Too many horror stories of garages not willing to work on them because of no spares and risking loss of reputation, because the bike keeps failing.

All commonly known bike brands are fine, personally I would stick to Japanese, American and European (I include UK in that category) and for learning Japanese, they have the quality 125 market stitched up and no others can compete. I know it's boring but look at basic things, when choosing a manufacturer, particularly if buying 2nd hand, like "does that manufacturer have a dealer/workshop local to me?" if it does it will save you a lot of hassle

Yes if it's a good dealership they will want to look after you and take your money over your biking career. They usually give good advice 

Good luck and remember Safety First 

Lately I seem to have become more of a reader than a contributor to this thread,  but I love reading about all your exploits and day to day shenanigans.....well the bike stuff is a bit yawny......*just kidding SC and Sindigo* :D Buttocks of granite sound a bit uncomfortable!

Please send best wishes to JY for me SS...I'm really glad that she is having such a good time.

Enjoy pancakes if they are your thing. They're not Warriors, so I haven't made any for years.

Happy Tuesday all. :D

34 minutes ago, Jax2000 said:

well the bike stuff is a bit yawny

I can assure you that Mrs Sindigo would agree wholeheartedly. :):):) We'll try and keep down a bit. ;)

1 hour ago, SC said:

I personally would not touch the Chinese imports with a barge pole..... They are very cheap copies...

I thought that would probably be the case--they certainly look the part though! I'll try and pop in to the local dealership over the next few weeks and see what's about.

For all who wish to know:

To send a PM, click on the envelope at the top right, just to the left of your avatar, a box will appear where you can name your intended recipient, type your message and send :):) 

.....but please keep the bike chat here - lovely to read :):) 

Have just enjoyed playing with the fence; repaired two panels and stood it up again. Just needs "H" brace at 90 deg and will be sorted. Horizontals prep'd and ready to install;  H picking up a met post tomorrow so I can complete. Satisfying stuff! :):) 

Happy alternative pancake day, Jax! :):) 

51 minutes ago, Jax2000 said:

No please don't stop or limit posting.....I can gloss over! :D 

3 minutes ago, standing stone said:

.....but please keep the bike chat here - lovely to read :):) 

No problem. Expect updates. :)

I enjoy the general-ness of the chat on this thread. It's a bit like a chat over coffee or pints and keeps me going til the next meetup. 

Sounds like a fun spot of fencing SS. It's lucky you managed to save the panels. They're all sold out down here so I've heard. Ours seem to have stayed up, which is remarkable as the bloke who did the house next door and therefore, the fence botched everything else. 

"I enjoy the general-ness of the chat on this thread. It's a bit like a chat over coffee or pints and keeps me going til the next meetup. " - absolutely; informal, inclusive & interesting :):) 

Advanced? The cheek! -  I've barely hit middle age! :):) (no idea what that's about; nothing to do with me!) :):) 

5 hours ago, Jax2000 said:

No please don't stop or limit posting.....I can gloss over! :D 

I'm not sure that there is a DM function anyway. 

Did I ever tell you about my stamp collection? *I don't really have a stamp collection!* :D

I'd just like to add that I do actually have a stamp collection. :D