Classic artists you just haven't ever listened too.

roughbloke

On 04/02/2016 at 9:15 AM, The Nal said:

Absolutely a classic artist. Start here.

Born to Run is what caught me onto Bruce, or more specifically Jungleland, which is one of the greatest songs ever written. Some of his newer stuff is pretty poor (looking at you Working on A Dream album). But Born to Run is a surefire winner. I'd say Darkness on the Edge of Town shades it for me now though. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, reflekting said:

Born to Run is what caught me onto Bruce, or more specifically Jungleland, which is one of the greatest songs ever written. Some of his newer stuff is pretty poor (looking at you Working on A Dream album). But Born to Run is a surefire winner. I'd say Darkness on the Edge of Town shades it for me now though. 

Everything up to Tunnel of Love is superb IMO. Some of the Rising, 2nd side of Wild, Innocent being a highlight. 

Big fan of the often overlooked solo stuff too. Nebraska, Tom Joad, Devils & Dust. Solo acoustic Bruce is great.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Everything up to Tunnel of Love is superb IMO. Some of the Rising, 2nd side of Wild, Innocent being a highlight. 

Big fan of the often overlooked solo stuff too. Nebraska, Tom Joad, Devils & Dust. Solo acoustic Bruce is great.

The Tom Joad version on High Hopes was excellent. Tom Morello adds a lot to that song, shame he won't likely be touring when Bruce comes back to the UK. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

The whole of Wild, Innocent is superb, my favourite by a country mile. I even love Wild Billys Circus. 

As an aside, I rarely think of albums having two sides nowadays. I don't think I've listened to vinyl in 25 years.

13 minutes ago, Badlands said:

The whole of Wild, Innocent is superb, my favourite by a country mile. I even love Wild Billys Circus. 

As an aside, I rarely think of albums having two sides nowadays. I don't think I've listened to vinyl in 25 years.

Started off listening to Bruce on vinyl with my old mans collection (tapes too) and back into it over the last few years. Nowt better. 

Although a lot of hi stuff isn't top drawer on vinyl. Not like Neil Young. Bruce always seemed to struggle when getting it pressed. Apparently Devils & Dust sounds great. Must pick it up.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Dear Lord.

honestly would love to be in that position. So much to listen to!

we talking Waits or Dylan Nal?

I was quite close to buying a Waits vinyl LP the other day just for the craic but in the end settled for Tarkus by ELP :P lol

24 minutes ago, tonyblair said:

never given Talking Heads as much time as some think they deserve

I was even given their first album as a birthday present

never played it

(better?)

you should give it a go. i suspect that'll be the album of theirs most to your personal likings

Personally I reckon they get much better , tho '77 has its highlights all the same.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

More Songs or 77 as a starter?

Depends what you're listening to them for, I guess. :lol:

I'd say the easiest album to get an introduction to them would be Stop Making Sense, as it has the better-known songs from the 1st half of their career on it (perhaps not bother with the audio album and go straight for the video).

But if you know you already like them and you want to get properly into them, i'd definitely say to start at the beginning and work forwards - and perhaps even include the side projects* in the timeline too, as it gives a great idea of where they're coming from.

For me, everything they did prior to Stop Making Sense is the best stuff. I generally like it less afterwards, tho I do have a soft-spot for their last ('Naked'), perhaps cos I identified Johnny Marr playing on it before I knew that he did do.

'True Stories' has to rate as their worst, i'd say ... tho if you see the film that again helps it make sense.

* side project stuff:- Tom Tom Club, Byrne & Eno's 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts', and Byrne's '(music from) The Catherine Wheel'. All essentials!

6 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

Maybe not Glasto relevant but I've been on a Deftones binge the last few days and I genuinely think they might be one of the most consistent rock bands in terms of how good each release is. Incredible stuff. 

where would you recommend someone start with Deftones, they've always passed me by and when ever I've tried an album it's left me feeling a bit lost but I definitely think I'd love them if I could just get into them

*clears throat*

ELO (until I listened to their greatest hits yesterday)
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones
Dire Straits
Tom Waits
David Bowie
Led Zeppelin
Neil Young
Miles Davis
The Velvet Underground
Lou Reed
The Beach Boys
Black Sabbath
Pixies
The Doors
Nick Cave
The Clash
The Sex Pistols
The Ramones
Talking Heads
Jimi Hendrix
Leonard Cohen
Iggy and The Stooges
Can
Yes
Genesis
Nick Drake
Marvin Gaye
The Kinks
Stevie Wonder
Kate Bush
Roxy Music
Deep Purple
Jethro Tull
Bruce Springsteen
Patti Smith
Kraftwerk
Dead Kennedys
REM
Otis Redding
Queen (other than the shit singles)
Prince
Fleetwood Mac
Rush
Johnny Cash
Captain Beefheart
Frank Zappa
T. Rex
Any Beatles related things that aren't The Beatles
Simon and Garfunkel
Bob Marley
Elvis Costello

I'm sure there's plenty of others I'm forgetting as well and I'm not sure how many of them actually count as 'classic'. I know a couple of songs at most by about half of the list but have never listened to a single album by any of them.

20 minutes ago, sloseph said:

where would you recommend someone start with Deftones, they've always passed me by and when ever I've tried an album it's left me feeling a bit lost but I definitely think I'd love them if I could just get into them

wow, that's a good question. 

I think my favorite album is White Pony (2000). There is a very good mix of those heavy but atmospheric songs (Digital Bath) and straight up, kick in the face songs (Elite) 

Diamond Eyes (2010) is where they started to push the boundaries a bit more. Some of chino's growls started to disappear but the guitar is still very full on. 

Koi No Yokan is the latest (before Gore is released in April) and is more spacey than the other albums and I guess some of the songs are slower paced, building on that atmosphere. That said, Swerve City has so much groove it makes Bring Me The Horizon's Antivist look like a David Gray song. 

Edited by endswithMJ