Classic artists you just haven't ever listened too.

roughbloke

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, tonyblair said:

beautiful...

there are at least 3 versions of many Beach Boys songs. There's the instrumental one, the vocal one, and the both together. I often prefer the vocals only option:

sublime!

Very well put Tony.  The instrumental only versions are often worth listening to, even if Stack O Tracks doesn't pick the right songs.

14 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

Old school rock n roll like Eddie Cochran and artists of that ilk is just the ticket sometimes, A lot of respect for the artists of that era as well, they really broke down the barrier, their music back in the time it was produced(50s-60s) faced so many barriers in what was a very conservative world, particularly in America where some rock n roll artists playing what wed now consider quite easy listening music faced accusations of anything from `playing noise` to corrupting youth to being the devil incarnate as people had just never heard anything like that before and many of the older generations simply didn't understand it. These guys were trailblazers for a lot of what came about in the.70s.80s and beyond as far as rock music went.

See now thats the stuff I was brought up listening to. Elvis, buddy holly, little richard, roy orbison, cochrane, everly brothers, the shadows. Not a beach boys single or album in sight, my mother liked the beatles for a while but gave the albums away!

The list was drawn up ten years ago and, I accept, with the benefit of historical hindsight, that it could be revised.

I suppose what I was trying to do was pick examples of lasting musical influences - not songs or bands that I necessarily like.

The early influences are probably easier.  For example Frank Sinatra's phrasing could still be seen years later with Robbie Williams and I think few could challenge the impact of Presley or Dylan.

I think I'd still defend Brown Sugar and My Generation as they're from two bands that are still around forty years after the songs came out and which surely had a big influence on the British and International music scene.

My problem was that initially I set myself the target of just ten songs.  As it was the list grew to 19, which was as many tracks as I could fit on a single CD.

7 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

The list was drawn up ten years ago and, I accept, with the benefit of historical hindsight, that it could be revised.

I suppose what I was trying to do was pick examples of lasting musical influences - not songs or bands that I necessarily like.

The early influences are probably easier.  For example Frank Sinatra's phrasing could still be seen years later with Robbie Williams and I think few could challenge the impact of Presley or Dylan.

I think I'd still defend Brown Sugar and My Generation as they're from two bands that are still around forty years after the songs came out and which surely had a big influence on the British and International music scene.

My problem was that initially I set myself the target of just ten songs.  As it was the list grew to 19, which was as many tracks as I could fit on a single CD.

Brown Sugar or My Generation, surely?  Considering all the different styles you've left off.

Impossible challenge of course, but fun!

I'm usually not one for the sacred cows before I was born, I'll take some Los Campesinos! that doesn't make sense to anybody who wasn't there any time. But I make exception for certain Beach Boys, Stones and Simon & Garfunkel, stuff there that I have as much undying love for as anything I've actually lived through.