Classic artists you just haven't ever listened too.

roughbloke

Have a few... Stone Roses, Strokes, LCD Soundsystem, Rammstein, know very little of Pearl Jam or Fleetwood Mac

Stone Roses is the one I'm most baffled by, sounds like drivel to me, yet they are supposedly a huge band (have a feeling they may just not be that popular in general in my region of the country though)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Some stuff just gets dismissed out of hand regardless. I'll be slumbering full fathom five before I listen to a solo album by the bloke from off of The Coral.

Hehe, conversely, that was the first record i put on when i got home from work last night. Never listened to The Coral though.

Being born mid 70's and parents listened to late 50's and 60's stuff I seem to have missed out most bands that emanated from the 70's - unless they were still going in the 80's like queen or fleetwood mac. 

Rolling stones are the stand out one for me that I haven't listened to and should. Know some stuff obviously, paint it black being a favourite, but not sure where to start.

21 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

This board gave me some pointers on Brand New a few weeks back, up until that point they were pretty much strangers to me. I bought The Devil And God a few weeks back and that was really good. Today I bought Deja Entendu, which I'm listening to now; this is also pretty great. But have have to say that The Devil And God seems the stronger album so far, it just doesn't give a fuck.

Nah the the best is Your Favorite Weapon for this banger:

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

This board gave me some pointers on Brand New a few weeks back, up until that point they were pretty much strangers to me. I bought The Devil And God a few weeks back and that was really good. Today I bought Deja Entendu, which I'm listening to now; this is also pretty great. But have have to say that The Devil And God seems the stronger album so far, it just doesn't give a fuck.

Really like Brand New but not sure they are a classic artist.

I know next to none of Bruce Springsteen's work but then again may or may not be a classic artist.

I think Bruce is definitely a classic artist with a huge backlog of material across a wide range of styles and with a wide range of collaborators.  He's done a lot of good acoustic stuff.  It's not all Born in the USA.

20 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I think Bruce is definitely a classic artist with a huge backlog of material across a wide range of styles and with a wide range of collaborators.  He's done a lot of good acoustic stuff.  It's not all Born in the USA.

Yeah I figured as much as some people I know who have similar tastes to myself are fans. Will have to give him a go.

22 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Being born mid 70's and parents listened to late 50's and 60's stuff I seem to have missed out most bands that emanated from the 70's - unless they were still going in the 80's like queen or fleetwood mac. 

Rolling stones are the stand out one for me that I haven't listened to and should. Know some stuff obviously, paint it black being a favourite, but not sure where to start.

Get this, you'll love it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Rocks_1964–1971

I remember returning from Glastonbury the year Brian Wilson played and my, then, 15 year old nephew asked who I'd seen.  When I mentioned Brian Wilson he said: "Who?" so I told him about the Beach Boys and he still looked blank.

So I decided to make him a CD entitled The Ten Songs Everyone Should Know.  

It ended up becoming a major project because my initial list was very 60s and 70s skewed.  I decided a get friends including musicians and promoters to offer their thoughts on what were the 10 key songs - the criteria being "Without this what followed on would not have happened."

It became quite a hotly debated project because, for example, you had to have a Dylan song or a Hendrix song - but which one?

This was the list

1. Cross Roads Blues - Robert Johnson 1936 (2:40)

2. Fly Me To The Moon - Frank Sinatra 1953 (2:28)

3. Hound Dog - Elvis Presley 1956 (2:17)

4. Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry 1959 (2:42)

5. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan 1965 (6:10)

6. My Generation - The Who 1965 (3:24)

7. Respect - Aretha Franklin 1967 (2:29)

8. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys 1967 (3:34)

9. Hey Jude - The Beatles 1968 (7:03)

10. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix 1968 (4:01)

11. Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones 1971 (3:50)

12. Imagine - John Lennon 1971 (3:04)

13. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen 1976 (5:54)

14. Anarchy In the UK - Sex Pistols 1976 (3:30)

15. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson 1982 (4:54)

16. Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2 1983 (4:41)

17. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana 1991 (5:01)

18. Wonderwall - Oasis 1995 (4:18)
  19. Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day 2004 (4:20)

It was done about 10 years ago and could probably do with an update. Don't bother to argue negatively about what's in the list (why did you put that crap in etc) but if you have any suggestions for an updated list - things that could be added and why, I'd be interested.

Sits back and waits for flack.

50 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I remember returning from Glastonbury the year Brian Wilson played and my, then, 15 year old nephew asked who I'd seen.  When I mentioned Brian Wilson he said: "Who?" so I told him about the Beach Boys and he still looked blank.

It ended up becoming a major project because my initial list was very 60s and 70s skewed.  I decided a get friends including musicians and promoters to offer their thoughts on what were the 10 key songs - the criteria being "Without this what followed on would not have happened."

It became quite a hotly debated project because, for example, you had to have a Dylan song or a Hendrix song - but which one?

This was the list

It was done about 10 years ago and could probably do with an update. Don't bother to argue negatively about what's in the list (why did you put that crap in etc) but if you have any suggestions for an updated list - things that could be added and why, I'd be interested.

Never got the love for the beach boys myself. One thing missing from your list would be the explosion of boy/girl bands. New kids on the block/take that and spice girls however naff they are deemed to be - their influence has been immense. Arguably boy bands been around since the 60's but most of them could at least play an instrument.

41 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

This was the list

I would add some more non-rock songs if you're interested in musical impact :

• Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder 1976 (4:12)
  • Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang 1979 (7:08)
  • Song Of Life - Leftfield 1992 (9:09)
  • How To Disappear Completely - Radiohead 2000 (5:56)
  • Atlas - Battles  2007 (7:07)
  • Swoon - Chemical Brothers 2010 (6:05)

I'm not saying it's a bad song, but I'm not sure why Sunday Bloody Sunday is an important musical song? Surely U2 have recorded more influential work? Same for Boulevard of Broken Dreams - who did that song influence?

It's tricky, I admit.  Especially on the later tracks - it's too early to tell their influence.  I probably chose the wrong Chemical Brothers song.

17 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Never got the love for the beach boys myself. One thing missing from your list would be the explosion of boy/girl bands. New kids on the block/take that and spice girls however naff they are deemed to be - their influence has been immense. Arguably boy bands been around since the 60's but most of them could at least play an instrument.

That's what you took from his list?  Too much Beach Boys and not enough Spice Girls?

It truly is a diverse world.  Those are the last things I would have criticised!

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's what you took from his list?  Too much Beach Boys and not enough Spice Girls?

It truly is a diverse world.  Those are the last things I would have criticised!

It wasn't a criticism, he asked for suggestions on the criteria of what followed, couldn't bear the spice girls but a lot of todays acts were inspired by them. Don't know if you saw that james corden thing but adele mentions them as inspiration -  not the music but what they stood for/achieved.

But yeah beach boys do nothing for me, though not saying shouldn't be on there.☺

Just now, The Nal said:

Re: Beach Boys. The 1967 solo version of Surfs Up is one of the more moving pop songs ever written.

I still have a deep affection for the album version.  Almost because Brian's vocal is so much better, it's real relief when Carl stops singing.  That actually works to improve the song for me, since it accentuates the differences between the sections.

Plus, that outro.

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I still have a deep affection for the album version.  Almost because Brian's vocal is so much better, it's real relief when Carl stops singing.  That actually works to improve the song for me, since it accentuates the differences between the sections.

Plus, that outro.

Yes, its an utterly outrageous piece of music. All versions. Just something a lot more raw and sad about the solo version.

And yeah, that outro. As dreamy a sequence of music as you'll ever hear.

I think people who don't really get The Beach Boys must just know the Chuck Berry tunes? Or have read about Mike Love?

Hes skanked Dublin on the new tour. Glasto shaped hole though!

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

My knowledge of beach boys is good vibrations and surfin usa - both of which annoy the hell out of me for some reason and I've not bothered to look further - but will give that one a go to see what I've missed.

Do it. 35 minutes.

Edited by The Nal