Truck 2016

Flaminglippy

On 19/05/2016 at 7:40 PM, Charlotte1975 said:

First time at truck and just have a question about food prices? I know at glasto you can eat pretty well for a fiver a meal but no idea for truck whether it would be cheaper to bring my own. 

Thanks! :)  

Nah...the food was quite cheap from memory, but there wasn't a huge amount of choice. I didnt go last year so might have changed. Would take some of your own anyway as you can take it in the arena

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Nah...the food was quite cheap from memory, but there wasn't a huge amount of choice. I didnt go last year so might have changed. Would take some of your own anyway as you can take it in the arena

Last year was the first time i'd seen a real expansion to the site which included some overpriced and fairly crap food stalls. The rotary club were still there though so you could get a vegetable curry and sides for £5

On 25/05/2016 at 9:17 PM, foolee said:

Bought tickets now, first time attending truck after a few years of wanting to try it but not taking the plunge. 

Any tips for a first timer at Truck? 

I missed last year but went for the few years before and its definitely one of the best small festivals I've been to. Really friendly crowd.

The bookers clearly know what they're doing and get a lot of really good smaller bands on, so worth checking out some of the stuff you haven't heard if you get a gap in your planner. Actually, if you haven't seen it on their website the planner is well worth doing. I found some right gems by listening to the bands that were on between the bands I definitely wanted to see.  

There is a really good record stall run by a local shop selling (primarily) music by the bands that are on so take some extra cash if you fancy getting stuff by new bands you might see.

Can get a bit quiet down the front later on as there are a fair few people with young kids (who either go back to the tents or live locally). I walked straight to the front for the Spiritualized set a few years ago.

You can take your own booze in the arena but if you fancy something that isn't lukewarm after a weekend in a tent the prices at bars were very reasonable. 

Have a good one! 

Edited by Flaminglippy

14 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

I missed last year but went for the few years before and its definitely one of the best small festivals I've been to. Really friendly crowd.

The bookers clearly know what they're doing and get a lot of really good smaller bands on, so worth checking out some of the stuff you haven't heard if you get a gap in your planner. Actually, if you haven't seen it on their website the planner is well worth doing. I found some right gems by listening to the bands that were on between the bands I definitely wanted to see.  

There is a really good record stall run by a local shop selling (primarily) music by the bands that are on so take some extra cash if you fancy getting stuff by new bands you might see.

Can get a bit quiet down the front later on as there are a fair few people with young kids (who either go back to the tents or live locally). I walked straight to the front for the Spiritualized set a few years ago.

You can take your own booze in the arena but if you fancy something that isn't lukewarm after a weekend in a tent the prices at bars were very reasonable. 

Have a good one! 

Thanks for the cracking response and information. Nice to know its a friendly crowd as the crowds at the likes of Reading fest getting worse and worse has really started putting me off and putting a downer on going there. Hence choosing to do rock werchter in Belgium, slam dunk and truck this year. 

Thats good to know as there are a few bands I want to see but not loads as were mainly going because it's got great reviews, a 15 minute train journey from us, wanting to do another festival and at such a such a good price it's difficult to say no. 

Thanks for the tip on the record store as that sounds like a fantastic little bonus addition I wasn't expecting. I'd like the fact that if I saw a new band or someone who really impressed me I could go and get some of their stuff easily that weekend as usually it's trying to search when getting home! 

Mid imagine it's about going rate of a festival at 4/5 quid a pint? But we should save a big amount by bringing our own in and taking it into the arena, that's a great selling point! 

8 hours ago, foolee said:

Thanks for the tip on the record store as that sounds like a fantastic little bonus addition I wasn't expecting. I'd like the fact that if I saw a new band or someone who really impressed me I could go and get some of their stuff easily that weekend as usually it's trying to search when getting home! 

Mid imagine it's about going rate of a festival at 4/5 quid a pint? But we should save a big amount by bringing our own in and taking it into the arena, that's a great selling point! 

You could tell how well the bands were going down from how many flocked over to the music stall after the set finished.

Don't quote me on this but pretty sure they were charging £10 for 4 cans but pints were about the usual festival price. 

• 1 month later...

Hopefully the organisers have taken onboard the comments from last year as the vast majority of feedback was rather negative.

There was a definite change of atmosphere and a much younger/drunken crowd. On top of the reduction in facilities and the ill thought out layout changes and expansions, 2015 was a disapointment. Hopefully that was just a blip and we'll be back to the good days on Friday. I'd hate to see Truck lose what made it unique.

And... As usual, the weather forecast is going down hill with every update. 

Edited by andy85

15 hours ago, andy85 said:

Hopefully the organisers have taken onboard the comments from last year as the vast majority of feedback was rather negative.

There was a definite change of atmosphere and a much younger/drunken crowd. On top of the reduction in facilities and the ill thought out layout changes and expansions, 2015 was a disapointment. Hopefully that was just a blip and we'll be back to the good days on Friday. I'd hate to see Truck lose what made it unique.

And... As usual, the weather forecast is going down hill with every update. 

Wish I hadn't of read that! We've bought tickets to take our one year to his first festival based on all the good things we'd heard about it! Slightly panicking it's going to be a nightmare now. We normally go to Y Not but can't make it this year, figured Truck would be the next best thing considering its ran by the same people.

51 minutes ago, xxtinkerbellxx said:

Wish I hadn't of read that! We've bought tickets to take our one year to his first festival based on all the good things we'd heard about it! Slightly panicking it's going to be a nightmare now. We normally go to Y Not but can't make it this year, figured Truck would be the next best thing considering its ran by the same people.

Yeah...exactly the same position here. Taking our 1 year old based on having gone for 3 or 4 of the last years (missed last year) purely on the basis it was very relaxed and there wasn't rampaging hoards of drunken teens. 

Not got issue with drunken teens (same for drunken adults for that matter) as long as they don't act like dicks and spoil everybody else's weekend.  

We'll see. 

8 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah...exactly the same position here. Taking our 1 year old based on having gone for 3 or 4 of the last years (missed last year) purely on the basis it was very relaxed and there wasn't rampaging hoards of drunken teens. 

Not got issue with drunken teens (same for drunken adults for that matter) as long as they don't act like dicks and spoil everybody else's weekend.  

We'll see. 

Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh. There was still a good feeling around the place but I do feel, with the increased capacity, its different. Not too much that I'd be at all concerned though. This was still mine and the partner's choice for a chilled out festival. I guess it comes with the territory, any event which basically triples in size will be different.

But I do think this years lineup was aimed squarely at the 16-20 group.

With regards to the facilities and layout there's clearly changes to the stages. That's good news as last year the barn was far too popular for its size. 

They also seem to have listened to the other comments about toilets and the location of the new food stalls. Hopefully they do carry that through and make positive changes.

All in all, I can't wait for Friday.

Edited by andy85

13 hours ago, andy85 said:

Forecast seems to be holding up OK.

Might not see the sun very much but it looks like the rain should be occasional showers at most.

Yeah...been checking every day. Started off looking well ropey a few weeks ago but much better now. Debating leaving the wellies in the cupboard.

13 hours ago, andy85 said:

Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh. There was still a good feeling around the place but I do feel, with the increased capacity, its different. Not too much that I'd be at all concerned though. This was still mine and the partner's choice for a chilled out festival. I guess it comes with the territory, any event which basically triples in size will be different.

But I do think this years lineup was aimed squarely at the 16-20 group.

With regards to the facilities and layout there's clearly changes to the stages. That's good news as last year the barn was far too popular for its size. 

They also seem to have listened to the other comments about toilets and the location of the new food stalls. Hopefully they do carry that through and make positive changes.

All in all, I can't wait for Friday.

Be a shame if they went down that route. Suppose all festivals do eventually. From their perspective it makes sense to start to attract a younger crowd...if they don't one cold winter could see all their ticket-buying punters disappear in one go.  

Edited by Flaminglippy

On 7/11/2016 at 9:59 PM, foolee said:

And is it easy to get from the train station - didcot to the festival? Thanks in advance! 

You can catch a local bus to Steventon and walk from there.  It's not that long a walk and plenty of others will be doing it.  I think there can be a bit of a wait for the bus back on the Monday but I managed to blag a lift last year so can't really comment.

1 hour ago, michael eavis' beard said:

You can catch a local bus to Steventon and walk from there.  It's not that long a walk and plenty of others will be doing it.  I think there can be a bit of a wait for the bus back on the Monday but I managed to blag a lift last year so can't really comment.

Do you know how long the walk is? Because I've got quite a lot to carry so may get a taxi if they can take me straight to the site. Getting the train home Sunday night at around 11 so will avoid that but unfortunately have work on the Monday.

46 minutes ago, foolee said:

Do you know how long the walk is? Because I've got quite a lot to carry so may get a taxi if they can take me straight to the site. Getting the train home Sunday night at around 11 so will avoid that but unfortunately have work on the Monday.

Think it's about a mile from where the bus drops you off to the entrance to the site.  Not sure about the availability of taxis at the station I'm afraid but there is a drop off point on site so they should be able to get you there.

8 hours ago, elfimaju said:

The website says that the site opens at 10am Friday morning - does this also apply to camping or can you still go and camp Thursday night so you're close by for the gates opening? 

The site opens at 10am Friday. You won't have any luck earlier than that. Don't worry though, you could turn up halfway through Saturday and still get a really good spot.

Improvements overall but there seems to have been another increase in capacity. Serious crushing at the only (barbed wire lined) bridge back to the campsite. One serious injury already from what I've seen.

Edited by andy85

Superb weekend overall. Atmosphere around the arena was great and almost all of the problems from last year have been sorted.

Portaloos were hit and miss but they were being cleaned increasingly regularly towards the end. Unfortunately the urinals were installed by someone who has no understanding of gravity. I think these caused most of the smell around the place.

General camping was horrific. Could have used shovel to move the piles of other peoples rubbish that had piled up around our tent and people were pissing all over the place. We spent very little time around there (what's the point when you can take your own drink with you) but it was just teenagers getting shitfaced before going in to the arena at 10pm. Although perhaps we were in a particularly bad spot.

I'll be back again. Hopefully for another weekend just as good as that one. Great weather. Quiet camping next time though.

Now just 10 days to dry and get the stench of other peoples piss out of my tent before Kendal.

Yeah, great weekend. Definitely less family friendly than 2 years ago when last week, but that said everybody was really sound. Great music and weather. Anybody know if Mystery Jets turned up in the end?? Only gripe is the toilets in the glamping bit sucked ass (one of the 3 blocks was out of service after the first day). Otherwise top weekend.

11 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah, great weekend. Definitely less family friendly than 2 years ago when last week, but that said everybody was really sound. Great music and weather. Anybody know if Mystery Jets turned up in the end?? Only gripe is the toilets in the glamping bit sucked ass (one of the 3 blocks was out of service after the first day). Otherwise top weekend.

They did turn up in the end, 45 mins late! We got fed up of waiting so left. Kept our one year old up specifically to see them so was gutted they didn't show on time. We had an amazing weekend, definitely going back next year! We found it really family friendly, we were in family camping though but even thought it was really chilled out in the arena. 

9 hours ago, xxtinkerbellxx said:

They did turn up in the end, 45 mins late! We got fed up of waiting so left. Kept our one year old up specifically to see them so was gutted they didn't show on time. We had an amazing weekend, definitely going back next year! We found it really family friendly, we were in family camping though but even thought it was really chilled out in the arena. 

Gutted...we must have missed them by 5 minutes! Shame...was probably the band was most looking forward to seeing (after the Manics) 

Yeah...weren't too bad in the arena except for the Friday when we found it was rammed. Sunday when Kodaline was on it seemed very quiet.