Oldest veteran thread

timespeedsup

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no map for 81 but its between 79 and 83 { I must have a map but its in the shed so stuff it } - at least we did not need to use  GPS to find out where anything was and the ' what bar will meet at ? ' problem did not crop up as there was only one public bar.

1979-2.jpg

Glas83map.jpg

2008 to 2015, first few years of not going were through choice but I sadly failed to get tickets for 13 and 14. I wouldn't work the festival so it started to feel a bit like my Glastonbury days were over, didn't want to give up so I upgraded my old computer and fortunately found this place full with lots of excellent ticket day advice, was elated when I actually got through to the booking page and scored tickets, think this forum really helped, so thanks everyone. 
Last year felt like coming home, cried happy happy tears after my tent was pitched and it sunk in that I was back, had a fantastic festival and I'm already way too excited for this year. 
Charm x

24 year gap. First went in 1983, when Aswad and UB40 headlined, then back again in 2007 and not missed one since. Started going to festivals again in 2004 to the IOW to see The Who & Bowie and got the bug again. Am i the record holder?

It's not completely related but my friends were in some hostel in Novi Sad during the Exit festival 2 years ago. There were also an older lady (around 60 think) and her grandson. She is from Serbia but lives in England since she was a teen and we were talking about life and compared life here and in England and than she just asked: "Do you guys take cocaine? Acid?" and then she proceed to tell stories about Glastonbury in the late 70s and early 80s and her love for good cocaine and how easy it was to find it there. 

She went again to see David Bowie in 2000 and said that she ruined her memories of it :lol: 

Edited by Nicklord

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

24 year gap. First went in 1983, when Aswad and UB40 headlined, then back again in 2007 and not missed one since. Started going to festivals again in 2004 to the IOW to see The Who & Bowie and got the bug again. Am i the record holder?

Joint top matey, with robu who was 85-09. How was coming back for you?

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

It's not completely related but my friends were in some hostel in Novi Sad during the Exit festival 2 years ago. There were also an older lady (around 60 think) and her grandson. She is from Serbia but lives in England since she was a teen and we were talking about life and compared life here and in England and than she just asked: "Do you guys take cocaine? Acid?" and then she proceed to tell stories about Glastonbury in the late 70s and early 80s and her love for good cocaine and how easy it was to find it there. 

She went again to see David Bowie in 2000 and said that she ruined her memories of it :lol: 

Well certainly if you were tough enough there was all sorts of stuff being sold in the Reggae Tent which was claimed to be a cafe next to the old market { first right as you entered the site - top end of Muddy Lane } .

The Heavy Bouncers on the door would put most people off although I have to admit I did find it amusing as nervous teens would walk though shitting themselves and sat down at a table - it never had a licence but you could buy any bevy you wanted ' with extras ' but as I was  28 in 1981 with a Glaswegian accent the hoods would give me a wide berth - it was run by a Gang from Bristol - they vanished when Police started to patrol the site in the late 80's

I would never be that desperate to buy anything onsite but certainly there was many dealers although it was all a matter of luck if they got what they thought they were buying.

it certainly had more chancers in the early years but it was not all peace and love . 

12 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

it certainly had more chancers in the early years but it was not all peace and love . 

I remember at Shepton Mallett in 1970 (Glastonbury -1) quite a few people came over from the States who had been to Woodstock.  There were some young Americans camping next to us. One morning they asked if we could spare them some sugar - so we gave them a cupful.  

"How much do you want for it?" they asked.  We were surprised and just said: "Nothing - it's yours."

They then astonished me by saying at Woodstock everyone had been charging each other for everything - even a cup of sugar.  

So that wasn't all peace and love either.

16 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I remember at Shepton Mallett in 1970 (Glastonbury -1) quite a few people came over from the States who had been to Woodstock.  There were some young Americans camping next to us. One morning they asked if we could spare them some sugar - so we gave them a cupful.  

"How much do you want for it?" they asked.  We were surprised and just said: "Nothing - it's yours."

They then astonished me by saying at Woodstock everyone had been charging each other for everything - even a cup of sugar.  

So that wasn't all peace and love either.

how did they know there was anything on ? as I always thought it was put on at short notice - I certainly was not aware about it.

this is the one held on 19 and 20 September ? or were they lucky

Hi Tom, as I'm going for once, I thought I would reignite the old excitement. (See also, checking efests for rumours too often each day)

Turns out, despite the wonders of technological advancement of the last 5 years, people still post here.  :ph34r:

Glasto-worker, what sort of sugar were they after?

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

how did they know there was anything on ? as I always thought it was put on at short notice - I certainly was not aware about it.

this is the one held on 19 and 20 September ? or were they lucky

It was on June 27 and 28 put on by Fred Bannister, a promoter who put on the Bath Blues Festival the previous year and used to run regular gigs at Bath Pavillion - often bringing over top US bands.

History here http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/bA1.html

It wasn't an Eavis event, although it was the inspiration for Michael's festival.

Edited by grumpyhack