Oldest veteran thread

timespeedsup

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Stevie was great, Burt was awful and I missed Cohen because I was busy drowning a litter of newborn kittens.

You've not been in Croydon a lot lately, have you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35421250/serial-cat-killer-strikes-again-in-croydon-taking-total-up-to-over-30-animals

(Best bit about this article is the woman who's called Boudicca Rising!!!!! Fucking fantastic! The cat bit is sad though)

Edited by Woffy

2 hours ago, Woffy said:

You've not been in Croydon a lot lately, have you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35421250/serial-cat-killer-strikes-again-in-croydon-taking-total-up-to-over-30-animals

(Best bit about this article is the woman who's called Boudicca Rising!!!!! Fucking fantastic! The cat bit is sad though)

On a serious note I'd like like to see that person dead. Not caught and punished. But killed.

Losses:

Soundsystems, spontaneity, mad and heckling crusties / travellers, that thrown together disorganised look, local and new age feel, some of the community vibe, campfires everywhere, fireworks, Joe Bananas, indie t-shits and bands, vehicles all over the site, Jean Eavis / Arabella Churchhill / Andrew Kerr, tent thefts, serious mud / flooding, turdises (turdi?), Stone Circle all night drumming / party, annual license review, outdoor cinema at foot of Big Ground, dealers and "three Stella's for a fiver" at Yeoman's Bridge and other crossing points, A - Frame Tents.

Gains:

Fence, safer, better night-time stuff, more stages, bigger festival, spectacular and immersive venues, new Pyramid Stage, hunters wellies, bucket-list tourists, flags, selfie sticks, larger camping areas, glamping, more and better toilets, Mik Artistik.

I'm sure others can add a few more off the top of their heads (including other tongue in cheek ones). Disclaimer: I'm not debating here the positivity or negativity of the above changes described.

Edited by Pinhead

Went to Glastonbury -2 and -1 (Bath Festival and then Shepton Mallet which inspired and mutated into Glastonbury).  

2ikryq9.jpg

Bath Blues Fest Poster 69
2ibk9hh.jpg
Bath Blues Fest Poster Shepton Mallet 70

Then a big gap with career and kids till 2004 and have hit lucky with tickets ever since.

The biggest changes for me have all been positive.  As I've aged so the festival seems to have matured and broadened so I still feel comfortable as an oldie. I'm pleased that the festival can offer something to everyone from teens who want to get off their heads though familes with young kids to old farts like me.

I've also moved from a small tent, through big group tent to trailer tent and now caravan in CV East.

On 27 January 2016 at 11:17 PM, timespeedsup said:

23 years has it so far. What's the story robu?

Actually it was 1985, not 1986. I've just checked the lineup and realised I got it wrong.

So in 1985, I was a student living in a shared house with someone who had a spare ticket. I had little interest in the festival and only decided to go at the last minute when a mate's party that weekend was cancelled. The housemate and I didn't even get on that well. It was nearing the end of the academic year and the house had split into two camps, me in one and the housemate in the other (and it didn't help that the housemate had very recently discovered that I'd been sleeping with her best friend on the sly, who was supposedly in her camp).

Anyway...we picked up a couple of the housemate's friends on the way down the A303 and within ten minutes of one of them entering the car, I knew it was going to be a very trying weekend. Jamie was a self-opinionated loudmouthed obnoxious turd. I can tolerate self-opinionated loudmouthed obnoxious turds when they're funny or entertaining, but Jamie was also one of the most up his arse bores I've ever met (a view that I later discovered was shared by most people, including the housemate).

About fifteen miles from the site, we were pulled over by the filth, which prompted Jamie to panic and swallow a very large lump of dope -- at a guess, about an ounce. By the time we were pitching our tent (in those days, very near the car), Jamie was not feeling well. An hour or so later, he was shivering and hallucinating. We thought of taking him to the Release tent, but instead took it in turns to sit with Jamie through the night and the next day. When I wasn't nursing Jamie, I wandered around on my own, marvelling at a lot of it and having a great time, even though the rain was torrential and the mud biblical. I've never seen it as bad.

By Sunday morning, Jamie was fine, but my housemate had had enough and decided she wanted to go home. After a long time pushing the car through the mud, we traipsed back up the A303, all silent and exhausted, except for Jamie, who having slept for more than 24 hours, was full of the joys of life. He was lucky not to have been dumped on the central reservation.

I arrived home thinking 'I liked the festival, but overall as an experience, thank fuck it's over. I'm never doing that again'.

After university, I freelanced for the inkies (NME and Melody Maker) a bit and was occasionally asked if I wanted a (free if I filed) ticket for Glastonbury, but always turned them down. I then worked on the nationals and again was occasionally asked if I wanted to cover the festival. I almost went in 95 and 97, but said no in the end. I went to other festivals, but somehow avoided Glastonbury. I also worked abroad a lot and had kids, so life got in the way. Then in 2009, aged 45, I thought 'what the hell -- why not give it another try?'

To be honest, I hardly recognised the place of my memories. We arrived early on the Friday morning, camped in the camper van fields, and I remember joining the crowds heading towards Gate C, seeing their green wellies, folding chairs and picnics and thinking they were more like a crowd at Glyndebourne than the Glastonbury crowd of old. I've got to be honest, I was kind of reassured by the sight, but then I'm an old fart now (although I like to think still relatively young at heart).

I'd been warned by friends, but nevertheless entering the site was a shock. Where were the hot knife caravans? What happened to the acid hawkers? Who had got rid of the scary hairy blokes roaming the site, swinging motorbike chains? I had actually thought I'd be able to score something and I'm sure if I was younger, I might have pulled it off, but although there was plenty of contraband in use, I hadn't a clue where to get some. Instead, we found a restaurant with a three-course menu, tablecloths, cutlery and china plates.

Like everything, the 'new' Glastonbury was a reflection of its time. It was less DIY and more theme park, but we all expect more for our money these days and I'm sure that's not entirely a bad thing. I've been most years since 2009, sometimes with my kids, and although I sometimes yearn for a bit of the anarchy of old, for the most part the festival is a better place now.

On 28 January 2016 at 9:22 AM, eFestivals said:

But like me, she also thinks that the wild festival vibe is now found at Boomtown and not rather-tame-today Glasto.

This is interesting, went to Glastonbury for the first time last year and only realised how good it was a couple of weeks on, how it is another world and a quite stunning culture of kindness, very bubbly and no judgement at all. 

Going to Boomtown for the first time this year, really hope it is as you say. Wild! I feel it will offer escape from society, which is what I love about festivals. cheers for that comment, got me even more excited!!

On 27/01/2016 at 10:16 PM, Woffy said:

Glastonbury didn't get middle aged with me...Glastonbury leans out from a darkened alley in a long trenchcoat with an uptirned collar just at that moment when I finally believe I've come to terms with middle age and whispers conspiritorially to me that I'm still 19.

That's so well put. It's a cheeky little minx is Glastonbury.

On 1/28/2016 at 1:27 PM, BrighterNow said:

My last Glastonbury was in 1995 - and I'm going again this year!  So a 21-year gap for me.  I'm guessing the fact that it's so much bigger now is going to be the main difference, but I guess there will be lots of other big changes as well?

Oh god, you have no idea... I'm actually quite jealous - it'll all seem brand new yet strangely familiar and you'll get to discover it all over again.

On the negative side, the beer is a LOT more expensive these days... :(

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

12 hours ago, robu said:

Actually it was 1985, not 1986. I've just checked the lineup and realised I got it wrong.

So in 1985, I was a student living in a shared house with someone who had a spare ticket. I had little interest in the festival and only decided to go at the last minute when a mate's party that weekend was cancelled. I wandered around on my own, marvelling at a lot of it and having a great time, even though the rain was torrential and the mud biblical. I've never seen it as bad.

Like everything, the 'new' Glastonbury was a reflection of its time. It was less DIY and more theme park, but we all expect more for our money these days and I'm sure that's not entirely a bad thing. I've been most years since 2009, sometimes with my kids, and although I sometimes yearn for a bit of the anarchy of old, for the most part the festival is a better place now.

so out of all the years you had to pick that year.

People who missed 1985 just don't believe me over the mud - sadly I kept my semi pro SLR in the car as I could not risk dropping it { and never seeing it again } - my friends who had not missed a event since 1979 just gave up after 1985 and none have ever returned - all weekend the thought that went though my head was ' I will never get the bloody car out ' - it was a Mini Cooper S and with four of us in the car I knew from a standing start it would never make it { I kicked them all out } - amazingly I did get it out and picked up my friends who at the time could not drive so were a bit miffed they could not stay in the car.Have tried to get them back but they just will not give it another try.

41 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

so out of all the years you had to pick that year.

People who missed 1985 just don't believe me over the mud - sadly I kept my semi pro SLR in the car as I could not risk dropping it { and never seeing it again } - my friends who had not missed a event since 1979 just gave up after 1985 and none have ever returned - all weekend the thought that went though my head was ' I will never get the bloody car out ' - it was a Mini Cooper S and with four of us in the car I knew from a standing start it would never make it { I kicked them all out } - amazingly I did get it out and picked up my friends who at the time could not drive so were a bit miffed they could not stay in the car.Have tried to get them back but they just will not give it another try.

I can confirm 1985 was very, very muddy. I first went in 1981 aged sixteen and have only missed maybe four festivals since. My memories of many of those visits are however shakey.

neil-young.jpg

glasto-85-ely-wet.jpg

15 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Oh god, you have no idea... I'm actually quite jealous - it'll all seem brand new yet strangely familiar and you'll get to discover it all over again.

On the negative side, the beer is a LOT more expensive these days... :(

Yes, I think the combination of familiar and new is going to be really strange.  And it can't some soon enough...

Beer prices are one thing that won't worry me as I hate the stuff!  Wine and spirits on the other hand...

On 28/01/2016 at 0:38 AM, blue6field said:

1993 to 2011 was my gap

tatally loved 2011, returning as a 40th birthday present to myself, haven't been lucky in the sales till this year and it's all I've been thinking about since ticket day

Talking to a random last year, was his 1st one, asked how it was going, it was a little bit ish for him, it was early Fri so I said you'll walk out of here Mon thinking f me that was great. His reason for being there, with a group of 1st timers was his brothers 40th birthday and he'd dragged them all there after not going for many years. His brothers reaction on walking through the gates was to burst into tears. .

Best random convo I had last year.

There is something about taking newbies round and seeing their jaws drop in sheer amazement at the size of the site.

Always take them on a walk up to the Stone Circle insisting they don't turn round and look until they get to the top.  Then it's just Wow!