'Cinch' new tent

Wow-wys-buzzing

Wild camping and festival tents are two different things (for me anyhows) for a tent for a festival having more space is more important than its pack weight & size. Whereas for wild camping pack weight and size are more important, cause you will be carrying the tent further ideally you want it to be light. Wild camping is a different experience from a festival. Ideally, for wild camping I would say everything for one night should be carryable in a 30L rucksack, including your tent. Wild camping is a minimalistic experience and you take essentials. Out in the wild, there are few patches of ground that aren't on a hill and less that are on even ground, the larger the tent, the less camping spots which are suitable. Whilst wild camping is often tolerated, it isn't permitted by law, so the smaller the tent, the better. Keeping out of site will avoid running into an annoyed landowners. Mountain and expedition tents are bright in colours to help rescue parties. Family camping colour doesn't matter. Bushcraft, backpacking and trail tents are usually green, to blend in with the environment. Wild camping follows the same method. With wild camping you want something lightweight and robust, so handle the less suitable pitches and sudden changes in weather. 

The idea of a pop-up tent for this - would be fine for a festival though. 

I use my trusting Vango Beta for Glastonbury - wild camping opt for a one person tent that's lightweight and cost me more than my 4 man Vango.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

so the pop up tents are simple to fold away now then? The last one I had you had to twist it, sit on it and allsorts. Nightmarish scenes. Can anyone link to one of the new breed?

In the Decathlon/Quechua range they've solved the problem in a couple of different ways.

For models with "Easy" in the name, it's basically pulling a drawstring and the thing folds down for you ready to put in a bag.

For the other models in their range, including the one I have (Seconds XL), there's a system whereby you pull a strap from inside of the tent and match it to another specified point on the outside, causing the tent to fold down. Then pull a drawstring and a simple fold in half. I'm making it sound more complicated than it is (sorry - I'd like to show a real world video rather than corporate puff but can't find one). I'd say it's not much more difficult than the "Easy" models, and still easier than taking down a Tunnel or Dome tent.

Certainly, there's no technique or practice needed, and no struggling with complicated folding.

Another vote for Decathlon/Quechua. I've used everything at Glastonbury from an old school frame tent that weighed a ton, but was a palace to a lightweight hiking tent which was lightweight and easy to put up, but tiny and the Quechua wins hands down. Spacious, lightweight,easy to put up/down, waterproof and cheap. Apart from the lack of levitation it's perfect.

Edited by devonhammer

18 minutes ago, incident said:

In the Decathlon/Quechua range they've solved the problem in a couple of different ways.

For models with "Easy" in the name, it's basically pulling a drawstring and the thing folds down for you ready to put in a bag.

For the other models in their range, including the one I have (Seconds XL), there's a system whereby you pull a strap from inside of the tent and match it to another specified point on the outside, causing the tent to fold down. Then pull a drawstring and a simple fold in half. I'm making it sound more complicated than it is (sorry - I'd like to show a real world video rather than corporate puff but can't find one). I'd say it's not much more difficult than the "Easy" models, and still easier than taking down a Tunnel or Dome tent.

Certainly, there's no technique or practice needed, and no struggling with complicated folding.

whoever invented them should be given the freedom of the universe! Incredible.

17 minutes ago, russycarps said:

whoever invented them should be given the freedom of the universe! Incredible.

I agree whole heartedly. Unfortunately I bought my pop up within a gnat's bollock of them coming out with the draw string version - I rue the day of that purchase. Unfortunately I provide unintentional slap stick comedy at the festival when trying to get the bastard tent back in to the bastard round bag.

She has got good reviews mind http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cinch-Lightweight-Entrances-Lighting-Canopies/product-reviews/B004QC6UZC

but some really good advice, I did almost had my mind made up, time for some more research and a rethink!