Euro referendum Glasto disenfranchised?

airwaves

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KVShinedown and Efestivals(Neil?) first time I've been on for a few days, so only just seen your posts, mostly fair points although I do disagree with some.

Sadly I'm off to bed as I'm up far too late for a 9am shift (Youtube to blame) so putting forward my slightly rambling thoughts on the matter will have to wait for another day 

The Independent has picked this up:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/around-135000-glastonbury-festival-revellers-could-miss-out-on-eu-referendum-vote-a6879451.html

Festival spokesperson says they will 'put provisions in place' if it does end up clashing. By that I assume they mean they will draw people's attention to the clash....

There are valid arguments both ways but I'd just like to knock on the head the idea that leaving the EU means that the UK would no longer be bound by European human rights. This is a common misconception, but it is not true. The European Convention on Human Rights has nothing to do with the EU. It predates the EU (and the EEC and the common market) and is based on a completely different treaty and structure. The UK was one of its founders (unlike the EU which the UK joined 20 years after it was first established). It has its own European Court of Human Rights, which is completely separate to the Court of the European Union. (I know - the names seem almost designed to confuse!) 

Every European country except Belarus (47 countries) is signed up to the European Convention on Human Right (or ECHR). Therefore there are 19 European countries which are part of the European Convention on Human Rights but not in the EU. If the UK voted to leave the EU, it would not leave the ECHR. 

For the record, I would be completely against leaving the ECHR, and am undecided on the EU, but nudging towards leaving.

On 17 February 2016 at 6:18 PM, eFestivals said:

I don't see what else they'd be able to do. It's not like the govt are going to set-up a special voting system for Glasto attendees.

They might set up a service for collecting postal votes from people who have brought them onsite. This would allow people to vote having been onsite since Tuesday or earlier but having heard the full debate up to Thursday.

1 minute ago, UEF said:

They might set up a service for collecting postal votes from people who have brought them onsite. This would allow people to vote having been onsite since Tuesday or earlier but having heard the full debate up to Thursday.

:lol: - that'll never happen.

If someone can't get their postal vote to a postbox, they're not going to get their postal vote to Glastonbury either. Not only that, but the time for receipt of postal votes will be gone by then anyway.

Plus of course electoral lists are all done locally, so your vote need to go to your locality because otherwise it's not possible to know whether that person has a right to vote.

4 minutes ago, Terence Fletcher said:

This is great news for us Brexit folk, Glasto goers tend to be young and very left wing so i would say a vast majority would vote to stay within the EU 

Hopefully most Glasto goers will not bother postal voting

it's all very well wanting your side to win, but wanting your side to win via a fiddle and not having won the argument only diminishes you. ;)

3 minutes ago, A Guy Called Matt said:

There is only one question that I find important in all of this:

Would I trust this Tory government to rewrite the Human Rights Act and Working Time Directive in a way that keeps all the rights etc that we have now?

The answer is a big fat NO.

Therefore I vote to stay in the EU.

Irrelevant - the Human Rights Act rights into UK law the European Convention of Human Rights.  Being in the EU has no bearing on that law or our compliance with the ECHR.

18 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Irrelevant - the Human Rights Act rights into UK law the European Convention of Human Rights.  Being in the EU has no bearing on that law or our compliance with the ECHR.

I did not know that! So why are the government saying they want to rewrite it I wonder?

How about the Working time directive though?

8 minutes ago, A Guy Called Matt said:

I did not know that! So why are the government saying they want to rewrite it I wonder?

How about the Working time directive though?

That is EU law.  And the Tory government was (I think) the only country to vote against it in 1993.

I'm all in, just want to make sure people are arguing "in" for the right reasons.