Victorious 2016

Flaminglippy

I've updated the two main stages on the Clashfinder for those interested. Don't have the willpower to sit through and add everything else. Saturday's an absolute bitch. Basically trecking back and forth between Castle & Common from Rat Boy to Manics. 

As to Sunday, PBS and Echo still look out of place under Noel. Real sub for me is Wolfmother/Ash. Bare in mind Noel will likely play till 11.Ray Davies started at 9:30 last year till 11, even though he was billed on the same time as Noel is this year.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Such a great run main stage Saturday, even time to squeeze a few from Editors in.

Yeah...looking pretty sweet for me. Kings of Leon tribute at 11am, then Baba Naga, All Tvvins, Oscar, Teleman on the Castle, then DMA's, Levellers, Coral, half of Travis, Editors and Manics. 

Sunday...Pretty Vicious, Eliza and the Bear, Milky Chance, PSB, half of Ash, Wolfmother and Noel G.

Thats the plan anyway...

2 hours ago, doosrawin said:

Has anyone got any recommendations for bands not on the common or castle stages?

In terms of local acts: Portsmouth's most popular band Kassassin Street on the Seaside Stage Sunday 17.45, Veludo Planes on the Mayfield Real Ale Stage Saturday 12.30 and Jerry Williams (singer songwriter with a pop edge and catchy tunes) also on Saturday Mayfield Real Ale Stage 14.00-14.30, although she's also opening the Castle Stage on Sunday.

A band that went down well with a certain sort of crowd last year was Rhythm of the 90's (15.30 Sunday Seaside Stage) they basically cover 90's dance hits from Black Box to Faithless etc. Bizarrely they have been given a 2 hour slot this year, which is ridiculous. They're pretty good at what they do but if you don't like 90's bangers keep well away!

9 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah...looking pretty sweet for me. Kings of Leon tribute at 11am, then Baba Naga, All Tvvins, Oscar, Teleman on the Castle, then DMA's, Levellers, Coral, half of Travis, Editors and Manics. 

Sunday...Pretty Vicious, Eliza and the Bear, Milky Chance, PSB, half of Ash, Wolfmother and Noel G.

Thats the plan anyway...

I didn't know there was a KOL tribute act so might catch that....travelling a fair way to be there by then though.

So KOL, Sound of the Sirens, The Tribe, DMA's, The Bootlegs for a bit, Levellers, The Coral, Travis and Manics (chuffed at their 1:15 minute set). I don't think there is a better run of  bands from DMA's on wards this year anywhere, anyone who got that for £20+ it's probably the best you will ever get.

Sunday I'm going to Bournemouth.

6 hours ago, rseamer said:

In terms of local acts: Portsmouth's most popular band Kassassin Street on the Seaside Stage Sunday 17.45, Veludo Planes on the Mayfield Real Ale Stage Saturday 12.30 and Jerry Williams (singer songwriter with a pop edge and catchy tunes) also on Saturday Mayfield Real Ale Stage 14.00-14.30, although she's also opening the Castle Stage on Sunday.

A band that went down well with a certain sort of crowd last year was Rhythm of the 90's (15.30 Sunday Seaside Stage) they basically cover 90's dance hits from Black Box to Faithless etc. Bizarrely they have been given a 2 hour slot this year, which is ridiculous. They're pretty good at what they do but if you don't like 90's bangers keep well away!

Cheers for that will take a look at some of those, didn't go last year but heard good things about the Rhythm of the 90s..not sure if people will lose interest if it's a two hour set this year though but will check it out

On 19 August 2016 at 3:35 PM, seanz25 said:

I've updated the two main stages on the Clashfinder for those interested. Don't have the willpower to sit through and add everything else. Saturday's an absolute bitch. Basically trecking back and forth between Castle & Common from Rat Boy to Manics. 

Clashfinder now fully powered and up to date with all stages :)

Interesting read in the local rag about plans for camping next year 

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/whats-on/gigs-and-music/major-plan-unveiled-make-southsea-s-victorious-festival-as-big-as-glastonbury-spectacle-1-7538918

Health warning for those of you that are not aware of Portsmouth News: a large pinch of salt is required for almost every article they write.

On 20/08/2016 at 7:51 PM, thewayiam said:

Manics (chuffed at their 1:15 minute set).

If they do a set similar to the one they did at Truck a few weeks ago its going to be immense. One of the best times I've ever seen them, absolutely brilliant. Started with 'Motorcycle Emptiness'. Even did an acoustic version of '30 Year War' which is one of my favourite songs of theirs. 

17 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Interesting read in the local rag about plans for camping next year 

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/whats-on/gigs-and-music/major-plan-unveiled-make-southsea-s-victorious-festival-as-big-as-glastonbury-spectacle-1-7538918

Health warning for those of you that are not aware of Portsmouth News: a large pinch of salt is required for almost every article they write.

As it has numerous direct quotes Id say theres a lot in this. 

Growing a festival is all well and good but when you are reaching for the bigger numbers, you change what you are about, I can see this becoming the clusterfuck of what V become when it lost its identity and its target audience and then had to go for an all new one.

The great thing about Victorious was it wasn't aimed at the teen market V, Reading, TITP etc all go for. Yes they have acts on that would attract that age range, but it wasn't dependant on it. Id say YNot is utterly dependant on it and a lot of people try to compare victorious with that. 

There is definite room for a third day of acts on a lesser scale, id be fine with that, but talk of wanting 200k worries me. Ah well lets just enjoy this years.

11 hours ago, luckysalt said:

As it has numerous direct quotes Id say theres a lot in this. 

Growing a festival is all well and good but when you are reaching for the bigger numbers, you change what you are about, I can see this becoming the clusterfuck of what V become when it lost its identity and its target audience and then had to go for an all new one.

The great thing about Victorious was it wasn't aimed at the teen market V, Reading, TITP etc all go for. Yes they have acts on that would attract that age range, but it wasn't dependant on it. Id say YNot is utterly dependant on it and a lot of people try to compare victorious with that. 

There is definite room for a third day of acts on a lesser scale, id be fine with that, but talk of wanting 200k worries me. Ah well lets just enjoy this years.

Yeah agreed.

Their current USP is a cheap price, mainly because they book a handful of big names and then fill the rest of the bill with new or local acts (and as far as I understand it the vast majority of local acts don't get paid).

To pull in much bigger numbers will require bigger names and more diversity in the acts to attract different age ranges. If that leads to an increased cost then the festival will lose its USP and will probably struggle - especially as it's on the same weekend as Reading at the moment.

I'd agree a third day on a smaller scale (maybe just using the Castle stage for example) could work, but going for bigger could potentially mean a bigger fall if it goes wrong.

Right then, interesting first day to say the least! 

Site seems to have had tons of stuff added, most specifically over in the kids area or at least in that direction, they've kinda widened the area of the festival over that side and shortened it the other side by losing the Sea Life Centre. So it evens out I'd guess.

Seems a ton of new stages, didn't spend ages checking many out but some cool additions, spoken word stuff, an added world Dj section that seemed really popular etc. 

Took some of the siblings to the circus to give my parents a break etc which is well worth a visit even just for a break without kids, comedy's shit but the stunts themselves are actually pretty impressive and does leave you feeling like you've left a legit circus not some knock-off. 

Music wise we bailed on the idea of going backwards and forwards between the two main stages, the journey time and traffic is still a ball ache given the short set times but they've slightly less end the journey length this year IMO which is a positive. Seen Boomtown Rats, wasn't a fan personally but seemed popular given the early time and what not, caught a bit of Levellers, very much the same as Boomtown Rats, popular enough, didn't spend long mind watching those at all though.

Moved over to castle to watch RatBoy, he was by far the most entertaining of the day, musically the instrumentals are decent, not really sure about the signer and his lyrics himself personally but it was carnage with mosh pits and all sorts. They suffered from technical issues and ended up playing the Jackass theme tune which sent people further crazy. I'd say this is the most lively I've seen a crowd at Victorious. They need more 'newer, upcoming' acts like RatBoy IMO. Caught The Horrors after that, fuck me I watched them at Reading 2014 and they where dead, gave them a 2nd chance and left after 25, sounded fine but absolutely dull as dishwater live. 

Caught Travis and Manics, both very good, crowd didn't seem massively into either mind, a lot of standing about. Sister said Annie Mac was carnage, fights, drugs etc. Said it was good though. 

Festival seemed busier by a large amount this year, might be just me though. Beer and food is still prices as fuck and very much hit and miss. I bought a decent Chicken wrap from a stall, other family bought noodles and all said they where rubbish. 

Also confirmed on website they're doing some launch night Friday next year leading into the weekend. Tickets are £21 each.

Today was a lot of fun, got down slightly later, weather wasn't as good but the place seemed even busier than yesterday. Vibe seemed different as well today, a few in our group agreed on that. More boisterous being the term banded about, there was a lot more heavy drinking, fights, puking etc than yesterday and last year. But expected with Gallagher playing and the festivals growth. 

Seen Ash, Milky, (Forgot what they're last part is!) Echo, Noel and Space. All pretty good hilights definitely being Ash and Noel. Other family went to Rythm of the 90s said it was packed and super. I'd lay money down now they'll headline the friday night next year seeing as they're doing a smaller setup for the Friday. 

Car Park was shocking to escape this evening, very few security people about directing and took us 40 mins. 

Overall though even better than last year. We'll be back! 

I had a great couple of days at Victorious. Such great value even if you do have to pay through the nose for food and drink once in there. Highlights included Noel, Annie Mac, Wolfmother, PSB, Editors and a whole lot more.

Surprised to see fights and vomit being so prominent in your reviews @seanz25, I'm sure it happened but I was completely unaware of it. That could be because is was localised or perhaps because I was too drunk to take notice.

Struggled with the sound last night which is my only criticism. Apparently bods with sound apparatus were spotted in the local area so I'm sure it's to do with a few miserable selfish letter writers who can't see the value in thousands of people enjoying themselves and spending money.

As soon as pay day finally arrives I will be buying tickets for next year.

Just to clarify before people think I'm moaning, I wasn't concerned by the fights and vomit, all part of the festival thing to be quite honest, like it or not. Just thought I'd mention it as some may find it interesting with the local area seemingly not all enjoying the festival being there as it is plus the fact they've got to apply for the camping license to expand it. All of that was way more prominent on the Sunday and definitely left my parents feeling like it was slightly less 'family friendly' than the Saturday and last year. 

@Tommy101 not quite sure what you mean about 'bods' and sound apparatus but I agree the sound was poor last night, especially anytime Noel would be speaking, could hear him loud and clear signing but his talk in between records was pretty much non-existent. You only need to look at the Portsmouth News articles about the expansion plans under the comments to see exactly those people complaining. Bunch of morons who supposedly loose their sea side for one weekend a year (not true) and must really hate the millions of pounds local business earn from the weekend. 

Well worth the money though and we'll be going next year most likely. 

Edited by seanz25

Went to just Saturday before moving down the coast, possibly the best band for buck day of music I've had along with great weather.

Kingz of Leon were a great start, Sound of the Sirens, end of Boomtown Rats, The Selector were alright enough, DMA'S enjoyed but too big a stage by far for them yet. Levellers, The Coral finally seeing and worth the wait, Travis were great aservice were MSP. We also saw 30/40 minster of The Bootlegs which was good fun too. Nothing really on the others stages with enough time to bother moving but can't complain at all that for the money. Prices or food and drink a bit high and the toilets if you don't just want a pee need expanding as after a certain time it's ridiculous, so good 1st outing but thing need organising a bit better.

Would agree on toilets situation, weren't nearly as well kept as last year and the ques became massive.  I had a disabled wristband and the guy manning the disabled toilet by the platform for the castle stage basically told me it's over flowing and unusable. This was just after Ash. 

39 minutes ago, seanz25 said:

Would agree on toilets situation, weren't nearly as well kept as last year and the ques became massive.  I had a disabled wristband and the guy manning the disabled toilet by the platform for the castle stage basically told me it's over flowing and unusable. This was just after Ash. 

I was shocked to go into one at midday and find a lot of toilet paper still. Urinals set out how they are is a much better idea though.

My general thoughts / observations on this year

• Overall this year was the best so far IMO
  • Food was a mixed bag from the very nice (The Bubble & Squeaks area) to the pretty poor - price didn't necessarily determine quality! Prices were average to expensive and I still resent paying £5 for a pint of crap lager but I'm not going to complain that much because the tickets were so cheap and if it helpsthe festival keep going, then fair enough.
  • The festival still represents excellent value - I got my tickets at £20 a day early bird with no booking fee - just to see Manic Street Preachers / Noel Gallagher it was worth it.
  • I saw full sets from : Devotions, Veludo Planes, Jerry Williams (twice), Izzy Bizu, Raleigh Ritchie, Rat Boy, Travis, Manic Street Preachers, Los Hombres Inglese, Sam McMarthy, Minque, Samm Henshaw, Dagny, Kassassin Street, Eliza & The Bear, Public Service Broadcasting, Echo & The Bunnymen, Noel Gallagher - Just over £2 a band and all produced at least average (and mainly good) performances
  • The sound at the back of the main stage was variable - although I never stood there, when I walked by a couple of times and other bands were playing it seemed to vary from fine to inaudible. Having a festival right on the seafront is always going to run the risk of this.
  • There seemed to be more urinals and they were better placed, although not very well signed.
  • Water points were few and far between - a few more would have helped, although having said that I never had to particularly queue once I'd walked to the nearest one.
  • Security were all fine - generally friendly and if anything a bit too relaxed - but better that than aggressive.
  • Saturday seemed reasonably chilled and friendly everywhere I went. Sunday seemed a little more lively and I saw 2 fights almost kick off during Noel Gallagher.
  • The audience didn't seem your 'typical' festival crowd. There were a lot of locals (of which I'm one) who were having a day out and who probably don't go to any other festivals.
  • The kids area seemed bigger as did the main stage area - and the main stage seemed busy, but they didn't sell out. The 2nd stage (Castle Stage) was not so busy for the newer bands (of which I saw a number) and it was pretty easy just to walk to the front barrier at any point during the day
  • The audience seemed a bit older this year - mainly because of the line up. Not so many youngsters - although obviously Reading has an impact on that running the same weekend.
  • If the festival wants to expand (as has been reported) it's going to have to pay for some bigger names and rely less on small acts and local bands.
  • The cycle park on day 1 was undersized but that was quickly sorted.
  • Really liked the new World Music stage which felt like it's own mini back garden festival in its own contained area. Shame I only saw 1 band there, but I hope that is continued next year.

But overall, very good and the price was excellent.

Edited by rseamer

Agree with what rseamer wrote above.

Saturday we went all day, Sunday we didn't go til the evening as there wasn't really anything that interested us too much and the weather was a bit overcast. 

Sunday defo seemed a crowd more up for it than Saturday, Saturday night seemed absolutely no atmosphere for Manics. Travis were pretty decent although not the best i've seen them, managed to catch a bit of Editors who could have fit much more songs into their setlist if they didn't keep doing mega extended versions of their songs, they sounded bloody awesome though. I caught Rat Boy who was really fun, then went to Coral who were pretty dull. If they're gunna expand bands like Coral and Travis needed to be on in the afternoon, they just don't whack an impact as the day goes on and you're getting tired, these are the bands you want to lay on the grass in the sun listening to. Not standing up in the dusk, they should've put Editors on main between Travis and Manics. 

On Sunday I saw Ash and Wolfmother, Ash was absolutely rammed, they should have been on main stage. They sounded good and should have had a longer set, the crowd was really into them.

A lot of people emptied out before Wolfmother although it was still very busy for them, jesus they were good, completely smashed their set and the sound quality was excellent. 

Noel was such a successful headliner, although the crowd only really came alive for the Oasis tracks. First time i'd seen him solo and didn't really know his stuff too well, but I really enjoyed him moreso than Manics even though I knew all the Manics stuff, Manics suffer from IMO being better with their first 3 albums of which I think they only played Motorcycle Emptiness, so its harder for me to enjoy them. 

We have our hotel booked for next year already. So reckon we will be back. Although the traffic getting there and home was pretty bad this year, its the only problem in truth.

Regarding food and drink prices btw, I have no problem with the cost as the festival is so cheap, everything can't be cheap!

17 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Agree with what rseamer wrote above.

Saturday we went all day, Sunday we didn't go til the evening as there wasn't really anything that interested us too much and the weather was a bit overcast. 

Sunday defo seemed a crowd more up for it than Saturday, Saturday night seemed absolutely no atmosphere for Manics. Travis were pretty decent although not the best i've seen them, managed to catch a bit of Editors who could have fit much more songs into their setlist if they didn't keep doing mega extended versions of their songs, they sounded bloody awesome though. I caught Rat Boy who was really fun, then went to Coral who were pretty dull. If they're gunna expand bands like Coral and Travis needed to be on in the afternoon, they just don't whack an impact as the day goes on and you're getting tired, these are the bands you want to lay on the grass in the sun listening to. Not standing up in the dusk, they should've put Editors on main between Travis and Manics. 

On Sunday I saw Ash and Wolfmother, Ash was absolutely rammed, they should have been on main stage. They sounded good and should have had a longer set, the crowd was really into them.

A lot of people emptied out before Wolfmother although it was still very busy for them, jesus they were good, completely smashed their set and the sound quality was excellent. 

Noel was such a successful headliner, although the crowd only really came alive for the Oasis tracks. First time i'd seen him solo and didn't really know his stuff too well, but I really enjoyed him moreso than Manics even though I knew all the Manics stuff, Manics suffer from IMO being better with their first 3 albums of which I think they only played Motorcycle Emptiness, so its harder for me to enjoy them. 

We have our hotel booked for next year already. So reckon we will be back. Although the traffic getting there and home was pretty bad this year, its the only problem in truth.

Regarding food and drink prices btw, I have no problem with the cost as the festival is so cheap, everything can't be cheap!

I loved The Coral myself but I'd been waiting a long time to see them so was always going to. The issue I find with Editors now is not only do they not play enough songs but their sets are just shite for the best part!, this may be down to them having two good albums then fuck all the write home about. 

I also loved Manics. What hotel did you book as I couldn't find my one taking bookings?, you can PM this if you like.

Doing joint Saturday/Sunday tickets for next year, too. Currently 45 quid plus booking fee 

At 20 quid for just the Castle Stage the Friday night doesn't look as great value personally (especially when its virtually guaranteed to be Rhythm of the 90's warming up for a shitty Annie Mac type DJ or two) but I can see a lot of people paying that and them making a killing.  

Edited by MattDavies__

22 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Doing joint Saturday/Sunday tickets for next year, too. Currently 45 quid plus booking fee 

At 20 quid for just the Castle Stage the Friday night doesn't look as great value personally (especially when its virtually guaranteed to be Rhythm of the 90's warming up for a shitty Annie Mac type DJ or two) but I can see a lot of people paying that and them making a killing.  

2 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Also headliner ideas for next year? 

New Order would be ace. Someone like The Libertines/Black Keys/maybe Jamie T would be a decent and probably quite popular booking. 

I could see Victorious using the Friday to book a decent sized dj appearing at Creamfields that weekend over Saturday/Sunday to get the youngsters in. Yeah £21 for the Friday when the other days were £25 wasn't so good value and when a lot have accommodation outside anyway then having Friday isn't essential. 

New Order way more likely than The Libertines (way too big to be considered), they struggled with Noel who is only a sub at major festivals and could only get him on an hour set. The Black Keys they might pull off, Jamie T I don't see it, it's not a festival for booking new one's, it's more booking what you would of liked mostly through older years.