Holiday Request from work turned down :(

gooner1990

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Surely the law can be overridden by a contract you sign with your employer when you take the job? Mine says nothing about days for example but does say they reserve the right to request a doctor's note. Surely it's about the terms you agree with the company as much as the law.

Unless the law has changed recently the employer does not even have to pay you SSP - some will make you claim it from the DHS or whatever name it goes under nowadays.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Employers self made rules do not trump Government Law. It is the law that you can self certify for 7 days. Some doctors (mine for example) will refuse to give you a sick note until the 7 days self cert is up. You also do not have to contact them again until the 7 days is up and as said there is nothing stated you need stay at home.

Quite a few I have been with over the years have pulled sickies after being denied the time off, none have lost jobs over it. 

well yeah, if you want to go a court/tribunal over it, then fire ahead with 7 days off.

otherwise i'd check your contract and see what it says. a sick note required on the 3rd day off is pretty standard and given that you're not actually sick and pissing off to a festival you've already asked for time off for, I wouldn't be pushing it.

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Surely the law can be overridden by a contract you sign with your employer when you take the job? Mine says nothing about days for example but does say they reserve the right to request a doctor's note. Surely it's about the terms you agree with the company as much as the law.

No. You cannot override the law as laid down by the government. Contracts have to be based in law to be erm, lawful.

2 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

No. You cannot override the law as laid down by the government. Contracts have to be based in law to be erm, lawful.

This. The reason the government bought in this law wasn't actually to protect employees, it was to reduce the strain on GP surgeries caused by people whose employers were forcing them to go get a Drs note just for a bad cold or the shits. 

1 hour ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Yes this, and any contract with an unfair clause in it could potential be completely voided by containing an unfair clause.

A sick note for 2 days off work is ridiculous.  Most GP's would simply refuse to give them, and a few would only give them as a private practice as a cost of around £70. 

Id be questionning that one straight off, but then again I am an argumentative bastard.

20 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Someone who directly works with me already has the two weeks Glastonbury stretches over booked off for her daughters wedding.

Spoke to a senior manager today and they stuck by the decision not to allow me the time off, but said they may look at it closer to the time to give me perhaps one or two days off instead of the five I had asked for (weds, thurs, fri, mon and tues)  but 'couldn't promise anything.'

So as it stands, even if I race straight down after work I'll probably be on site Friday 6pm ish, then will have to have a dry day and leave Sunday evening to be back home ready for work Monday am.

:(

Anyone else suffered a similar fate? Or facing the same? 

I know its still good I can go when the main bands are on, but its our big thing me and my friends do and I'd be gutted to miss nearly 50% of it.  The Weds & Thurs I really enjoy!

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now.

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now.

Good luck.

As ever, a sentence beginning is "I don't mean to be rude" ends in failure.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

As ever, a sentence beginning is "I don't mean to be rude" ends in failure.

Good luck.

Check whether this coverage stipulation is part of your employment contract. If it is not, and largely a verbal agreement, they are unlikely to have much purchase with which to insist that you cover the period in respect of current employment law regarding annual leave. If they try to change it, then everyone will be needing to sign a new contract with the new terms and that sort of scrutiny and possibility for disagreement is unlikely to be popular with the employer. Certain elements of employment law can be signed away by you within your contract as well where the law states that the employer can request so during negotiation your terms of employment when you start.

I've been working at a University for the past few years and this is always an issue. June is more or less the worst month to use your annual leave. I've managed to get my request in very early this year so it hasn't been too much of an issue, but last year I ended up getting tickets in the resale and it was a bit of a saga asking for the time off in May. 

I feel for people such as teachers who are pretty much screwed every year! 

Get a doctors note for a dodgy back. It is verrrrrrryyy difficult to find anything or prove you are telling fibs.

I was off work with a sore back in my teenage years whilst working in the fruit and veg aisle in a Supermarket. The Doctor told me to continue my day to day activities but give the lifting a miss.

Boss of said supermarket picks up the local paper and sees me celebrating winning a trophy with my football team. He tried to reprimand me until the union rep told me I had done nothing wrong and was to continue day to day activites!

Edited by didyeaye

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I feel for people such as teachers who are pretty much screwed every year! 

I bumped into a teacher friend of mine at the festival last year, they had called in sick! They were moving to work at a different school the following term though so not too worried about a potential bollocking!

On 25/01/2016 at 5:21 PM, gooner1990 said:

Someone who directly works with me already has the two weeks Glastonbury stretches over booked off for her daughters wedding.

Spoke to a senior manager today and they stuck by the decision not to allow me the time off, but said they may look at it closer to the time to give me perhaps one or two days off instead of the five I had asked for (weds, thurs, fri, mon and tues)  but 'couldn't promise anything.'

So as it stands, even if I race straight down after work I'll probably be on site Friday 6pm ish, then will have to have a dry day and leave Sunday evening to be back home ready for work Monday am.

:(

Anyone else suffered a similar fate? Or facing the same? 

I know its still good I can go when the main bands are on, but its our big thing me and my friends do and I'd be gutted to miss nearly 50% of it.  The Weds & Thurs I really enjoy!

With regards to employment law remember - everyone is a barrister on The Internet.

You're asking for the Wednesday - Tuesday off. Chin the Tuesday off for starters. Unless you're planning to travel to the higher plane of Gillespie do you really need the Tuesday off? Fuck Tuesday.

Take it easy on the Sunday, leave late, in work on Monday tired but awake and dressed. What more do they want?

That's three days you need now and if they can't or won't give you them - five months in advance - then it's time your wee granny in Aberdeen "passed over". Oh not her the other one.

Pull yourself together soldier - you are going back in there!

So as luck would have it, today a lady from HR in head office was in our smaller (regional) office today so I spoke to her and explained what was going on.

as it turned out she is a fellow Glastonbury goer and gave me some helpful advice on how to speak to my manager and said she would help out where she could if our depts process of booking annual leave needed to be reviewed (we now how have a much bigger dept than when this one person rule at a time first came in) and to hopefully get me the time off and 'wasn't it such a good festival last year?' Lol 

so all hope is not lost yet! 

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

So as luck would have it, today a lady from HR in head office was in our smaller (regional) office today so I spoke to her and explained what was going on.

as it turned out she is a fellow Glastonbury goer and gave me some helpful advice on how to speak to my manager and said she would help out where she could if our depts process of booking annual leave needed to be reviewed (we now how have a much bigger dept than when this one person rule at a time first came in) and to hopefully get me the time off and 'wasn't it such a good festival last year?' Lol 

c9cjYom.gif

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Yes!  If a Glasto-going HR bod can't help you, no one can.

You totally can't chuck a sickie now.

I was told four weeks before glastonbury 2014, despite being clear I would not be available, I had to attend court on the Thursday Friday. (I'm a social worker). I resigned. Funnily enough. They gave me the time off anyway. How much do you love or need that particular job. If not much, get another one? 

Heh - that was lucky - bit of Glasto networking there! Similarly a few other key figures where I work also attend so they can't be seen to be making distinctions between people who are given the time off to go. Also I book the Glasto week off about a week after the previous festival ends just in case.

Like people have mentioned, if you do end up having to pull a sickie just make sure your Facebook is locked down.

There is a setting which allows you to review pictures that you are tagged in before they are posted to your timeline or tagged pictures. However this does not stop the photos being uploaded and it only takes a "friend of a friend" connection on Facebook and someone from work could see it!

The only way to avoid it would be to be extra vigilant that nobody takes photos of you, but that's no mean feat. Get yourself Bobby G'd at the stone circle and there will be photos/videos all over the rave page/ ladbible etc on Facebook!

I said it earlier, but in response to so many posts it bears repeating:

Don't take a sickie

They will find out.

All this chat about locking down Facebook... irrelevant when you return to work from being ill with a suntan! Even if its overcast all weekend, you will still return looking quite weathered.