Holiday Request from work turned down :(

gooner1990

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Workplaces are odd aren't they?  I don't understand why some places don't allow you to book holiday well in advance - surely it makes planning much easier?  I can book holiday up to February 2018 if I wanted to.  

As a supervisor of a team of three, the most important thing is that the team works together.  If everyone gets dates that can't be shifted in early, then you can work flexible dates around it.  If there's a clash - an odd day is no problem, any more than that with good notice can be prepared for.  I'd hate to turn down annual leave, especially for a ticketed event that someone always attends.

Wish I could take more than four days for G - too much else going on and only got 5 of my 25 days left to book for next holiday year!

I'm fortunate in that I work in a team of 4 and two of them have children so want summer holidays off as much as possible. Glastonbury falls just before that so I can put it in without much notice. I also booked a week off next January for a trip to New York with no problem at all.

In terms of sickness, I had such bad back pain this week that I couldn't sit at my desk properly. Come Friday I was sent home by my colleague because it was putting tears in my eyes. I went to a walk in centre and within minutes of seeing the Doctor I was told I needed a week off work and was given a 'not fit for work' certificate. I never even considered I would be signed off work and I just wanted some help in relieving the pain. 

There is nothing visually wrong with me, the pain is around my lower back and I can't really explain what it feels like. All I know is it hurts to sit. All the Doctor did was feel my spine and said it felt normal and lifted my legs in the air while I lied down.

I don't condone lying but it seemed far too easy to be signed off work for a week.. and I managed it without even trying. :rolleyes:

Glastonbury leave confirmed about an hour before Muse got confirmed last night, beautiful timing!!!

Only taking 5 days this year as I am going away the month after :( Weds-Tues, So no two days of listening to Worthy FM all day and getting excited while packing, and only got one day to recover in.

Edited by LondonTom

On 26 January 2016 at 8:49 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also this kind of policy does encourage people to call in sick, which is surely worse for the business. I can't do that now I've asked and been refused. But I can see how people would. 

Not that I would encourage such behaviour but ask a friend who does the same job as you if the time off is available but not book it.  If it is available go and ask for it off.  If it isn't available call in sick!