Radio 1's Big Weekend 2016

Stuart1000

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about this, I've seen absolutely nothing. Not even BBC R1 etc mentioning it on social media. I wonder if the BBC have axed it due to budget cuts? 

Ok, maybe it's happening...that's all I could find

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/01/got-what-it-takes

Edited by NickisGinger

Yeah Exeter is a pretty good shout, it'll almost certainly be South West England or South Wales at least. It'd be nice if it came to the Midlands for the first time since 2004(!) but it's a racing certainty that it'll be in Hull in 2017 so anywhere in England north of Oxford is probably out of contention until at least 2019 :( 

They are late in announcing it though, unless they're doing it later this week without trailing it: it's been in January for the last few years.

11 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah Exeter is a pretty good shout, it'll almost certainly be South West England or South Wales at least. It'd be nice if it came to the Midlands for the first time since 2004(!) but it's a racing certainty that it'll be in Hull in 2017 so anywhere in England north of Oxford is probably out of contention until at least 2019 :( 

They are late in announcing it though, unless they're doing it later this week without trailing it: it's been in January for the last few years.

Hull's north of Oxford tbh.

FINALLY it's coming to the South West. Pity it's in Exeter rather than Plymouth as I'll fall outside the locals area but will still be trying. 

And lets be honest Coldplay were always going to headline in Exeter being locals and all. If they hadn't done it last year I'd have had Muse as nailed on as well. 

That's the stuff. Always thought this seemed like a bit of a shitty event but when it's here in Exeter, tickets are free and everyone will be going you won't see me playing. Wouldn't mind seeing Coldplay and honestly watching them do a shorter set might be preferable than a full one at Glastonbury, even if they lose a few of the actually decent tracks. As for the other's so far announced - I'll enjoy them if I get drunk enough.

Who else do we reckon will headline then? Biffy Clyro are pretty likely I think.

Edited by Mash011

7 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

That's the stuff. Always thought this seemed like a bit of a shitty event but when it's here in Exeter, tickets are free and everyone will be going you won't see me playing. Wouldn't mind seeing Coldplay and honestly watching them do a shorter set might be preferable than a full one at Glastonbury, even if they lose a few of the actually decent tracks. As for the other's so far announced - I'll enjoy them if I get drunk enough.

Who else do we reckon will headline then? Biffy Clyro are pretty likely I think.

Or Rihanna. 

Definitely going to try for tickets, would like the whole weekend this time :P

Finnaly it has come to Devon as it always get over looked especially in the last few years as only smalls bands starting out really old bands for tribute acts performing in Devon.  And also good to see coldplay well Chris finally do a big homecoming gig it has been a while. So it is going to be amazing.

Edited by benus80

• 4 weeks later...

You know that 'insistently playlisting every single a band puts out from an album even if there's no hype around the album and the songs are meh' thing that Radio 1 always do for bands who they've booked for Big Weekend? That's happening with Mumford and Sons at the moment, so expect them to play/headline. Their dates work almost perfectly too.

2 hours ago, deadash321 said:

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/Hello-Adele-coming-Devon-BBC-Radio-1-Big-Weekend/story-28814173-detail/story.html

This article says next big announcement 'highly speculated' for Monday. Not sure where they got that from as I can't find anything on it! 

That article is just predictions, unless it was different earlier?