Campervan help

internetjef

Hello all.

im hoping someone can help me out with a query.

me and some friends have managed to score tickets, but for the first time we have got camper van tickets also. 

6 of us have tickets with 1 camper van ticket  (and one camper van)

Is it realistic that we can all get into one camper van pitch? (2 in the van, 4 in a tent outside?)

my firends reckon this will be no problem but i am sceptical and am looking for some reassurance or clarification otherwise ?

if so do we all have to go in the van ? Or can we take a separate car in with us and park near camper van? 

If anyone could give me a bit of a general lowdown if how camper van pitch works I would be massively grateful 

cheers

If things are how they've been in previous years it shouldn't be a problem, particularly if the van doesn't have an awning. You should be able to get the tents alongside or in front/back of the van.

You'll only be able to take in a vehicle if it has it's own campervan pass - so if you bring a car as well that will have to go in the car parks.

In theory you have a 7 metre x 8 metre pitch and you can usually get away with whatever you can squeeze in there.

More details at http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/info-campervans-and-caravans/

The big issue is 'contiguous fire' which means that they need a fire gap between pitches.  So you can usually pitch a tent or tents in front of or behind a campervan but not alongside it.

If you have a manufacturers awning that can go up.  In the past we've had in one pitch my caravan, which is 5 metres long plus its awning, and my tow car and a small tent.

It's very much a case of being nice and friendly to the stewards.  Give them a big smile, play it right and you should be fine.

I've always found that one of the things they are most strict on is the 'no glass' rule.  So we have engaged them with that conversation.  We genuinely carry no glass.  Booze is in plastic or wine boxes, pint mugs are plastic, things like cooking oil and sauces are in plastic bottles.  Tell them that you are aware of the no glass rule, even invite them to check (no one has ever bothered) and you'll be fine.

Neil is right about the car parks.  So pack as much as you can into the camper - like your friends' tent, sleeping bags and other heavy stuff so they have less to carry from the car park.

You will need to keep in contact with them because if you've gone in through the CV Field entrance and they've gone in through the Car Park entrance they won't know what field you've ended up being put in with your campervan

Edited by grumpyhack

54 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

You will need to keep in contact with them because if you've gone in through the CV Field entrance and they've gone in through the Car Park entrance they won't know what field you've ended up being put in with your campervan

Need to bear in mind also that the car could be quite a long way from the campervan depending on which car park it gets directed to. Also if the campervan is in one of the forward fields the car people won't be able to get anywhere near the campervan until Wed morning sometime. 

Edited by whisty

Many thanks for the replies guys. It all sounds pretty positive to be honest.

we were all keen to go on the Tuesday so we got an extra day/eve.

are you suggesting that unless we can get all 6 people in camper van, then some people would only be able to come on Wednesday morning still? 

Ie we couldn't park a separate car in car parks on the Tuesday and then those people walk straight over the the camper van to join the others who went in with the van? 

Again much appreciate any confirmation on this. Cheers

The campervan fields only are open on the Tuesday but the gates to the main site from/to the fields are not open until Wednesday morning. The people in the car would have to arrive say Tuesday night/Wednesday in the carpark and they would not be able to enter the campervan field until the gates were open. They could then tent next to the campervan. It is not possible to park a car on Tuesday and walk into the campervan field.

In theory it would be a Tuesday night in the car park for those not in the campervan.  But I don't know whether they might be able to blag their way into the CV Fields to join you.

Even if you are in the CV Fields on Tuesday there is still no admission to the main site till Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Glasto old girl said:

Hi Guys, I have a Campervan ticket to be sold for 2016. East field. We have one to many!! £100 face value. Anyone interested??

I don't believe they can't be sold on, as they're part of the festival entrance ticket now.

I believe you'll be able to refund it with See.

Edited by eFestivals

• 4 weeks later...

I was hoping to be able to get to the campervan fields from the car park on the Tuesday night at some point. Are you saying this absolutely won't be possible?

we are in the process of converting a van into a camper, but seating for the 5 of us may be an issue for this year as it is a working project. So worst case scenario would be for the driver with the lead booker ticket to drive it down for the Tuesday, then I would follow on with a mate and the 3 kids once school kicks out that afternoon. The theory being that we arrive and transfer 3 sleeping babes to the campervan so we are all nice and fresh for Wednesday morning 

On 13/03/2016 at 7:27 PM, parsonjack said:

Got a friend who has no campervan ticket but needs one.....anyone know whether there will be some on sale to coincide with the main ticket resale or if you can buy one at the gate....seem to remember this being an option last year...

Cheers for any help!

In short, I don't know as it's a new system. However, I think there could be some cv tickets available in the resale but not many. Neil got info about none being on sale though. I can't see them being for sale on site after the changes to add names to them this year. Your other option is to meet someone off site with a ticket who'll come on-site with you in the van. Good luck!

On 10/03/2016 at 5:37 PM, Wondermum said:

I was hoping to be able to get to the campervan fields from the car park on the Tuesday night at some point. Are you saying this absolutely won't be possible?

we are in the process of converting a van into a camper, but seating for the 5 of us may be an issue for this year as it is a working project. So worst case scenario would be for the driver with the lead booker ticket to drive it down for the Tuesday, then I would follow on with a mate and the 3 kids once school kicks out that afternoon. The theory being that we arrive and transfer 3 sleeping babes to the campervan so we are all nice and fresh for Wednesday morning 

You aren't allowed to drive into the CV fields in a normal car, no (unless you are towing a carvan or have one set up in there for you). You can walk in however, so you could park in the normal car park and walk around the outside of the site to the CV, though this may be a very long way (look into which car parks are closest). After the gates open you could walk through the site of course (though that won't be a short trip either).

On the other hand, if you find a reasonable steward, can point to 3 sleeping kids in the back and seem very nice (and slightly desperate), who knows what they may let you do...

You might want to phone up in advance and try and get this sorted.

Yeah that's the idea; park the car in an official car park and hope the walk isn't too far. But hadn't thought of asking a steward if it would be possible to drive in to the CV fields to drop the kids off at the van, then take the car to where it should be. Thanks!

last year people seemed to have driven their cars in to the CV fields and just parked up. Normal cars mind, not ones which had been converted. There were other people who had just pitched a tent near our caravan (may she RIP) and spent the weekend camping in the CV field rather than the main campsite. Very strange. 

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Actually, in theory you can't. In theory they hold people back in the car parks until near to gate opening time on Wednesday morning.

I know some people do manage to get thru, but there's no guarantee you will.

Ohhh. So really our best bet would be to aim to arrive Wednesday morning in the car and hope our walk to the CV field isn't too long. Usually on a Wednesday we head up to Kings Meadow and watch the festival unfold around us, maybe do so crafts with the kids. We would still be able to do that I reckon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been answered previously . Hiring a van this year and it comes fully kitted out with pots pans crockery ,etc. They also include a selection of glass ware , would this be allowed into the CV field or would it be better to ask rental company to take the glass stuff out.

1 hour ago, simonizer said:

Sorry if this has been answered previously . Hiring a van this year and it comes fully kitted out with pots pans crockery ,etc. They also include a selection of glass ware , would this be allowed into the CV field or would it be better to ask rental company to take the glass stuff out.

yup - get it taken out. :)

We always breeze up and say with a big smile like old hands: "No glass - but you're welcome to check."  That's always been accepted and we've been waved through without a check.

We actually really follow the no glass rule so a check wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know what they would do with any glass they confiscate but if you're hiring the hire company would probably want you to replace anything that was missing.  So I'd explain the no glass rule and ask them either to replace with plastic or just remove and possible problem items before you collect it.

On 21 January 2016 at 3:55 PM, internetjef said:

Hello all.

im hoping someone can help me out with a query.

me and some friends have managed to score tickets, but for the first time we have got camper van tickets also. 

6 of us have tickets with 1 camper van ticket  (and one camper van)

Is it realistic that we can all get into one camper van pitch? (2 in the van, 4 in a tent outside?)

my firends reckon this will be no problem but i am sceptical and am looking for some reassurance or clarification otherwise ?

if so do we all have to go in the van ? Or can we take a separate car in with us and park near camper van? 

If anyone could give me a bit of a general lowdown if how camper van pitch works I would be massively grateful 

cheers

Talk to the very friendly guys who "park" you they are very helpful and will try and accommodate reasonable explanations of needs, what type of camper van do you have

?