What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

Thanks Spindles.  The design evolved from seeing so many broken trollies being abandoned.  I like to think I've never left anything behind at Glastonbury.  Everything goes back home, even if broken, for cleaning off, repair and re-use.  I also used to make sure any repairs, such as broken tent poles, were carried out before things were stored away.

I've now graduated from tents through trailer tents to a caravan but the same still applies.  A good repair session and clean off before storage.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, not worthy said:

A pallet truck? as in a truck that moves pallets, with the forks on the front, that you pump up by lifting the handle up and down? Now that I would love to see. What time are you planning to get on site and which entrance are you using....I need to get myself set up well in advance to watch this

20 hours ago, gerardfenton18 said:

I ment to say crate truck , slightly fuzzy headed today due to a excessive hangover

image.jpg

Damn, I was going to set an entry on clashfinder 10am Wednesday, Bloke entering Gate A with a pallet truck. would've been great entertainment to start off the festival.....would've got quite busy looking out for you mind

We take two backpacks and a holdall like the one below from Argos carried between the two of us.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9101807.htm

This usually does the majority of essentials for the first run and then pop back to the car with the empty bags to get the rest of the stuff later in the day once the queues have quietened down.

Unless the suitcase has big wheels like this one then leave them at home. I say this because it's painfull to see people dragging suitcases along the ground with little wheels. Glastonbury is not an airport concourse and will destroy both your little wheeled suitcase and possibly you in to the bargain.

case_lwcpc8b.jpg

We used a 270 Ltr holdall strapped to one of the trolleys bought from efests shop. We had our tent, bed, sleeping bag, 2 chairs for the campsite, 48 cans of lager, 40 cans of cider and 2 bottles of home made flavoured vodka in it. The handle broke getting it out of the house but it still got us there and back after some on the run repairs. Going to do it with 2 bags and 2 trolleys this year to spread the load. It was fun getting it on the coach too. We also had 2 rucksacks for clothes.

11 hours ago, Woffy said:

I'm breezing in unhindered on Friday early a.m. this year, at a gentle stroll with the minimum of stuff (mostly booze) to a tent set up by my mates on Wednesday. 

Gonna miss the Weds/Thurs sadly, but I'll be there crack of dawn on Friday to restart the campfire and wake the lazy hungover fuckers up with fresh coffee and bacon rolls by 7am.

Picture the scene.... ~~wibbly wobbly screen~~

Thursday night, Woffy gets Woffy jnr mark 5 to bed...

Woffy to Mrs Woffy "I'm off to bed now, early start tomorrow"
Woffy: Night Dear
Mrs Woffy: Fuck off
Woffy:....

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 8pm
Woffy: Fuck

11pm rolls by and a suitably tanked up Mrs Woffy (having finished off the cooking sherry) gets in bed.

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 11:15pm
Woffy ponders setting off now, decides against it, farts, rolls over.

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 12:05am

Woffy to Mrs Woffy: Does this count as morning?

It's 3 am and Woffy Mark 5 wants feeding. To gain Brownie points, Woffy leaps out of bed and tries to breast feed the baby in his excitement. Unsuccessful he goes for the SMA, careful not to mix with his MDMA. Baby fed, he's back in bed.

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 03:30am

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 03:40am

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 03:50am

Mrs Woffy: Oh just piss off and go will you!

55 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Picture the scene.... ~~wibbly wobbly screen~~

Thursday night, Woffy gets Woffy jnr mark 5 to bed...

Woffy to Mrs Woffy "I'm off to bed now, early start tomorrow"
Woffy:....

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 8pm
Woffy: Fuck

11pm rolls by and a suitably tanked up Mrs Woffy (having finished off the cooking sherry) gets in bed.

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 11:15pm
Woffy ponders setting off now, decides against it, farts, rolls over.

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 12:05am

Woffy to Mrs Woffy: Does this count as morning?

It's 3 am and Woffy Mark 5 wants feeding. To gain Brownie points, Woffy leaps out of bed and tries to breast feed the baby in his excitement. Unsuccessful he goes for the SMA, careful not to mix with his MDMA. Baby fed, he's back in bed.

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 03:30am

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 03:40am

Woffy lies in bed, checks the clock. It's 03:50am

Mrs Woffy: Oh just piss off and go will you!

WHO LET MY FUCKING WIFE JOIN EFESTS??????

COME ON! OWN UP!

Oh, FUUUUUUURK. Gnomicide has been my missus all along!

#forumcatfishedbythemissus

honestly, just go and enjoy it. try not to read too much before or after. just take it in. its an incredible place if you let it be :)

Dont listen to people saying x and y is shit etc. they dont get it.

Pick 3 / 4 bands who you love, and get right in at the front with others who also love the music, it will enhance your experience x10.

Walk, walk and walk.  Forget worrying about the music, you'll stumble across loads without trying and often the best moments are the unexpected bands you've never heard of.

Enjoy the food.  We set ourselves the challenge of a different country for every meal, so try to eat round the world.  The Greenfields usually offer good value.

I also take a folding chair (the subject of hot argument on here).  But don't plonk it down in front of people at the stages.  Use it to sit in isolated places just to enjoy the views, watch the world go by and strike up conversations with randoms.

Take in some of the non-music places you wouldn't normally go.  The Cabaret tent often has some gems and the Circus Field can be amazing.

take immodium old son ..great stuff ......then when you need a s..t drink really really strong coffee clears you straight out ......

as has been said before pop your head in to the little places so times there to rammed to enjoy them or even get in but you will find places and things that you would maybe just walk past .

also take time out but NOT at camp ......sit down with drink and just watch its f...ing great just watch and chill.

9 hours ago, TiZuff said:

get right in at the front with others who also love the music, it will enhance your experience x10.

This is really good advice, and something it took me a long time to figure out. Standing at the back, half chatting, half watching the band is not a comparable experience to being up the front. You may as well be at a different show. If it's someone you really like, get in there!!