What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

Walking boots (never wellies, took me 9 years to figure that out), ear plugs, eye mask, bags of wine (if you drink wine).

Thats it. Most of which first timers will do anyway.

Oh, and don't listen to anyone who tries to direct your festival for you - "don't look back until the top of the hill" etc. Tell those people to fuck off. Look behind you if you want. I did.

Edited by The Nal

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find the Buddah tent (turn left at the Leftfield tent, walk along aways and look out for their yellow and blue marquee on the right) for free, (or with a donation), very very good veggie food. Best food on-site in my opinion!

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Walking boots (never wellies, took me 9 years to figure that out), ear plugs, eye mask, bags of wine (if you drink wine).

Thats it. Most of which first timers will do anyway.

Oh, and don't listen to anyone who tries to direct your festival for you - "don't look back until the top of the hill" etc. Tell those people to fuck off. Look behind you if you want. I did.

Can't emphasis how crucial those suggestions are. When you first ditch wellies for walking boots at a festival it's an absolute revelation. Not to mention, if you invest in a good pair of walking boots they have much more practical application outside of Glastonbury that some £60 wellies with a fashionable label on that you only wear 5 days out of the year.

Ear plugs and eye mask also made an incredible difference to my festival last year. When you're trying to get to sleep at 5am, being able to lie in your tent in relative silence and darkness is priceless. 

I also took a bag of scrumpy last year which was also incredibly convenient. I doubt I'll ever take tinnies again.

If you take a phone or a digital camera take a picture right at the start of a piece of paper with your name, address, postcode and tel no.  Then, if you lose your camera and it's handed in, the wonderful people in Lost Property will go through it, find your address and return it to you. At least they did for me last year.

11 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

If you take a phone or a digital camera take a picture right at the start of a piece of paper with your name, address, postcode and tel no.  Then, if you lose your camera and it's handed in, the wonderful people in Lost Property will go through it, find your address and return it to you. At least they did for me last year.

Or even better make this photo the wallpaper on your phone.

59 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Or even better make this photo the wallpaper on your phone.

Then if you spot Stu on his phone make a note of his telephone number from his wallpaper and send him random texts about how ELO are a band and playing the Legends Slot. 

This reminds me of a friend, Martin, who for his own reasons, (mostly illness) went home from Glastonbury at 10am Friday morning. Another friend took it upon himself to create a cardboard sign with

"my mate went home on Friday, text him on (and martins phone number)" & went around with his sign all weekend, even gettin photos with various famous ish people holding it. (Bez, a couple others)

When i got home Martin showed me his texts he had been receiving all weekend, there were litterally thousands from random drunk people. It was extremely funny for us who weren't anything to do with it

they didn't speak for over a year, they're friends again now 

:D

5 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

This is genius!

Might set my phone background as the same!

Edited by JoBalls

1 hour ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

This reminds me of a friend, Martin, who for his own reasons, (mostly illness) went home from Glastonbury at 10am Friday morning. Another friend took it upon himself to create a cardboard sign with

"my mate went home on Friday, text him on (and martins phone number)" & went around with his sign all weekend, even gettin photos with various famous ish people holding it. (Bez, a couple others)

When i got home Martin showed me his texts he had been receiving all weekend, there were litterally thousands from random drunk people. It was extremely funny for us who weren't anything to do with it

they didn't speak for over a year, they're friends again now 

:D

That is the funniest thing I've read all year! Can imagine how annoying it must have been for Martin, but that is just genius! :D

I was stopped outside Williams Green bar by a small group on Wednesday evening 2015 just after i left the eFest meet.

They wanted a photo of me because i looked exactly like their mate who couldn't be bothered to go this year.

They claimed to have found a suitable replacement as his name was Ian and i had my Ian t shirt on.

My first time was 2011 and my second time will be this year, and I am (on a daily basis) fricking on the ceiling with pure joy at the prospect of going. Here's my tuppence:

1. First and foremost, read this: http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq - it will answer 99% of your queries (and also tell you stuff you didn't realise you needed to know) 
  2. The earlier you arrive, the better. Fact.
  3. Don't bother taking massive crates of beers/ciders, its soooo heavy and will turn into body temperature piss within hours. Spirits/red wine bags or buying booze onsite is the way to go.
  4. Prepare for torrential rain and scorching sun (both of which I experienced in 2011), so take sunglasses, suncream, hat and also waterproof trousers and a waterproof bag cover - no more soggy loo roll, water-logged phone/camera or unuseable Rizlas.
  5. If your limbs feel like they might fall off from exhaustation, take yourself to the Green Fields and get a massage for a tenner. It is the best money I spent all festival.
  6. Take ear plugs. I had the misfortune to camp next to some laughing gas afficionados, who liked to partake at 5 in the morning.
  7. Bring a chair or buy a chair. Have a sit down once in a while, your legs and feet will thank you. And take it home with you.
  8. Go off on your own. I went up to the Stone Circle on Saturday afternoon, sparked up a doob, and a nice young man came and shared it with me whilst we sat in the shade of a massive tree. Was nice to share in a complete stranger's feelings of euphoria. Felt like a dream.
  9. Put your phone away. Enjoy the moment. Your memory is the only camera you'll need. (And also, you won't have to stand in the 3 hour queue at EE to get your phone charged mid-festival!)
  10. I second taking an empty Lenor bottle
  11. I second taking lip balm (massively!!!)
  12. I second listening to Spotify playlists beforehand of everyone on the line-up. 
  13. Girls: make friends with the She-Pee. In all, I must have saved at least 3 hours in queuing time by going straight to the She-Pee urinals. And it is the most surreal experience in the world thrusting your hips forward, and holding your cardboard phallus with your right hand, and then looking around to see 30 other women doing the very same thing.
  14. I didn't need to, but my pals swear by dropping a couple of Imodium at the start of the festival.
  15. Don't bother taking camping stoves, its just unneccessary bulk and the food onsite is delicious.
  16. Eat something healthy at least once a day (veggie stew, brown rice, some fruit). Come Sunday, all that smoking/drinking/eating will really take its toll on your insides (and your "excretions").
  17. If you're not having fun, go in search of the opposite experience (e.g. feeling too crowded, go somewhere more quiet. Feeling tired, go sleep.) even if it means going off alone. You'll resent your friends if you stay and don't enjoy it.
  18. Prepare to be amazed. I still maintain that Glastonbury has been the single best experience of my life. Its a spectacle, its inspiring, its Utopia, its a real feat of teamwork, imagination and creativity.
  19. Take the following Monday and Tuesday off work.
  20. DO NOT URINATE IN THE RIVERS!!! The water is monitored by the Environment Agency, and it is seriously bad for the riverlife if urine enters the water.

And props to the tips on here that I'll be taking away: hanging bag off hook in long drops, taking soap in a hand gel bottle, etc. 

4 minutes ago, stixmcvix said:

My first time was 2011 and my second time will be this year, and I am (on a daily basis) fricking on the ceiling with pure joy at the prospect of going. Here's my tuppence:

1. First and foremost, read this: http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq - it will answer 99% of your queries (and also tell you stuff you didn't realise you needed to know) 
  3. Don't bother taking massive crates of beers/ciders, its soooo heavy and will turn into body temperature piss within hours. Spirits/red wine bags or buying booze onsite is the way to go.
  4. Prepare for torrential rain and scorching sun (both of which I experienced in 2011), so take sunglasses, suncream, hat and also waterproof trousers and a waterproof bag cover - no more soggy loo roll, water-logged phone/camera or unuseable Rizlas.
  5. If your limbs feel like they might fall off from exhaustation, take yourself to the Green Fields and get a massage for a tenner. It is the best money I spent all festival.
  6. Take ear plugs. I had the misfortune to camp next to some laughing gas afficionados, who liked to partake at 5 in the morning.
  7. Bring a chair or buy a chair. Have a sit down once in a while, your legs and feet will thank you. And take it home with you.
  8. Go off on your own. I went up to the Stone Circle on Saturday afternoon, sparked up a doob, and a nice young man came and shared it with me whilst we sat in the shade of a massive tree. Was nice to share in a complete stranger's feelings of euphoria. Felt like a dream.
  9. Put your phone away. Enjoy the moment. Your memory is the only camera you'll need. (And also, you won't have to stand in the 3 hour queue at EE to get your phone charged mid-festival!)
  12. I second listening to Spotify playlists beforehand of everyone on the line-up. 
  13. Girls: make friends with the She-Pee. In all, I must have saved at least 3 hours in queuing time by going straight to the She-Pee urinals. And it is the most surreal experience in the world thrusting your hips forward, and holding your cardboard phallus with your right hand, and then looking around to see 30 other women doing the very same thing.
  14. I didn't need to, but my pals swear by dropping a couple of Imodium at the start of the festival.
  15. Don't bother taking camping stoves, its just unneccessary bulk and the food onsite is delicious.
  16. Eat something healthy at least once a day (veggie stew, brown rice, some fruit). Come Sunday, all that smoking/drinking/eating will really take its toll on your insides (and your "excretions").
  17. If you're not having fun, go in search of the opposite experience (e.g. feeling too crowded, go somewhere more quiet. Feeling tired, go sleep.) even if it means going off alone. You'll resent your friends if you stay and don't enjoy it.
  18. Prepare to be amazed. I still maintain that Glastonbury has been the single best experience of my life. Its a spectacle, its inspiring, its Utopia, its a real feat of teamwork, imagination and creativity.
  20. DO NOT URINATE IN THE RIVERS!!! The water is monitored by the Environment Agency, and it is seriously bad for the riverlife if urine enters the water.

And props to the tips on here that I'll be taking away: hanging bag off hook in long drops, taking soap in a hand gel bottle, etc. 

Numbers 3, 9, 11, 18 & 20..... true dat.

Just now, stixmcvix said:

Brilliant

18 minutes ago, stixmcvix said:

My goodness, I completely forgot this one!!

When its raining and you're feeling wet and miserable, a warm cider from the Cider Bus is the most uplifting drink you can find!

This - when faced with a day of constant rain, getting ratted early on hot n spicy is the only way to go.

3 hours ago, stixmcvix said:
  1. Put your phone away. Enjoy the moment. Your memory is the only camera you'll need. (And also, you won't have to stand in the 3 hour queue at EE to get your phone charged mid-festival!)

This was the best thing I've ever done at last years festival. As you say, I didn't have to waste 3 hours standing in a queue and I could fully immerse myself in the experience every single day. The only thing I used my phone for was to check the time and call my parents to say that everything was OK on the Sunday.

Edited by BlackHole2006