Reading festival 2016 camping zones

Dlew2080

Hi guys, its my first time at reading been to a few festivals before so i sort of know what to expect. But I still have a question, what would be the best camping zone for people (like me) who want to Avoid the "17 year old ket heads and delinquents" ??  I've heard it's full of them which will really but a downer on the whole experience. people have recommended orange so far which seams okay but I'd like to hear some other suggestions, we are going in a large group vairing from the ages of 19-32, if any of you are straggling and heading there by your self feel free to join us as most of us are strangers to each other anyway and it would be nice to meet some new people and make some new friends, thanks! 

On 1/15/2016 at 2:05 PM, Dlew2080 said:

Hi guys, its my first time at reading been to a few festivals before so i sort of know what to expect. But I still have a question, what would be the best camping zone for people (like me) who want to Avoid the "17 year old ket heads and delinquents" ??  I've heard it's full of them which will really but a downer on the whole experience. people have recommended orange so far which seams okay but I'd like to hear some other suggestions, we are going in a large group vairing from the ages of 19-32, if any of you are straggling and heading there by your self feel free to join us as most of us are strangers to each other anyway and it would be nice to meet some new people and make some new friends, thanks! 

Orange should be ok, parts of red. Brown is also an option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Depends what you're after, looking at the map will give you an idea of what campsites are closer to the arena or wherever you've arrived from (Certain car parks or Coach etc).  I personally prefer white or brown simply because it's not dead quiet but you can easily get some shut eye and most of the 'ketheads' as you say, avoid the long walk.

Yellow is probably the one to avoid for you.  Green and Purple have always seemed quite rowdy too, but to be totally honest the majority of the festival has gone that way in recent years.  Brown or White I'd recommend, the walk is sooo exaggerated, probably takes a maximum of 20 minutes from the bridge in white to the arena, if not shorter depending on what time you head down and if you know a few short cuts through purple into orange/yellow instead of following the signs.  Getting back can take up to an hour or so on the Sunday night but expect a shitty walk back no matter where you're heading.  Personally for what you're after I'd say Brown/White/MAYBE the back outskirts of Red, but never camped there so can't really say.

The festival has become a lot more of a 'pilgrimage for youngsters' in recent years and I've noticed each year seems to have more dickheads running around chanting/shouting/pissing everyone off, but maybe I'm just getting older!
You'll have a great weekend regardless, just keeps your wits about you as there are always a few that ruin it for others, a friend we camped with in 2014 had her drink spiked and passed out then woke in the welfare tent with no memory and her purse stolen (around £80 left I believe), so it does happen, but she was off her face so as long as you stay vigilant you'll have an amazing experience, enjoy it!

Thanks for the comments! Helps a lot on choosing a zone, should be a great weekend. Just a shame some people are out to ruin it, especially spiking drinks! What do people even gain from doing that it's beyond me... Have a good weekend if you're heading back this year :)

On 3/3/2016 at 8:31 AM, Dlew2080 said:

Thanks for the comments! Helps a lot on choosing a zone, should be a great weekend. Just a shame some people are out to ruin it, especially spiking drinks! What do people even gain from doing that it's beyond me... Have a good weekend if you're heading back this year :)

I agree with previous comments, we stayed in Brown last year and apart from the walk (which isnt even that bad) it was pretty good. White is the next camp from Brown I believe and that is quite a walk but probably the safest and quietest camp, a lot of familys camp in White. I cant speak for the others but obviously the closer you get to the arena the more noisy and generally rowdier it will be. Just whatever you do don't camp near walkways or hedges. Also try and avoid the marshy areas, the amount of tents which I saw basically near /on top of a flood last year was crazy.