John Peel Stage moving location

jackarmy

Can't see it posted anywhere on here yet, but it looks like the John Peel Stage is being moved from it's current location to further up the slope into the field that is currently Hospitality Camping. Hopefully it'll add a bit of atmosphere to that corner of the site...

" So, I’m obviously now going to ask you about everything else regarding Glastonbury 2016. What are the plans? Arcadia’s moved around a lot the past few years?
Arcadia are staying where they are. It went really well. We’re moving John Peel, which is quite a dramatic move. It’s going to go into a field that was previously hospitality camping. Next to that there’s a woods where we’re going to be doing a light installation. I think the center of gravity [on site] will change again, because every time a massive stage moves it shifts the dynamic. From John Peel you’ll be able to walk straight to the Pyramid stage. "

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/we-are-strong-on-the-women-this-year-we-spoke-to-emily-eavis-about-glastonbury-2016?utm_source=noiseytwitteruk

Edited by jackarmy

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Are you quite sure? I thought it sounded like it was moving further away rather than closer...

Can anyone map this out for the geographically clueless like me?

yeah i thought further away when i read it, but i'm not too sure... 'a straight walk to the Pyramid' sounds good though 

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Are you quite sure? I thought it sounded like it was moving further away rather than closer...

It's the field at the side of Woodsies campsite. 

Basically the big gap between Woodsies & Spring Ground/Michael's Mead that was Hospitality camping of some sort.

image.png

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah i thought further away when i read it, but i'm not too sure... 'a straight walk to the Pyramid' sounds good though 

There's a woods next to the Hospitality Camping, that ties in with them putting a light installation in.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

no it wasn't. loads of right turns if i remember correctly. nothing straight about it

No, I camped in JP lol. You can walk right away from JP on the same track and you come in at the right side of the Pyramid where is has the drinks tent. You pass by that DJ place with the pyramid of steps that I can't atm think of the name of it.

Either way, going from what she has said, I'll be surprised if Ellie Goulding is not subbing this year, she's bigger hear that the USA and she's subbing their festivals now.

Isn't it going back home then? I remember it being up a bit of a hill and next to some trees. It seemed far away and devoid of all atmosphere them but sounds like that's being addressed here with the light installation etc

Anyway nice to have some new news to ponder at last. 

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Beat Hotel - and yes you're right - if you set off from back lefthand side of tent (if looking at stage). I'm guessing others are talking about leaving from the right of JPT

That's the one, at the JP at all isn't really far off the trail. I'm not sure why you would leave to go uphill, round and downhill though? I personally prefer to camp either in Oxylers or just over from there to where Joe's Bananas camp shop is so that JP is close, Other is in front and the distance to the Park is good while it'll take you in left side of Pyramid that way which I think it better. Added bonus there are some cool bars along the way there as well.

21 minutes ago, Mandroman said:

Isn't it going back home then? I remember it being up a bit of a hill and next to some trees. It seemed far away and devoid of all atmosphere them but sounds like that's being addressed here with the light installation etc

Anyway nice to have some new news to ponder at last. 

It used to be up against the railway line hedge in Holts when it first started (97 or 98, I think; definitely one of the wet years). 

I think any improvements in that area of the festival is good news. Not sure about others, but I kind of view that corner as a bit of a dead-area. I mean the JP tent is great and I go there to watch acts but outside of that, it is barren. Reducing it to basically just a thoroughfare from Silver Hayes to Pyramid (and I think the choke points that seem to happen there reinforce my point).

So anything to give it a bit of life and a reason to be there (apart from JP Stage) is right on the money I think.