John Peel Stage moving location

jackarmy

2 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

that beat hotel doesnt attract me at all.....it just looks like a bunch of pissed up clubbers on a club 18-30 holiday everytime I walk past it....not the kind of atmosphere I want anything to do with at glasto.....im sure its attractive to some but thats the kind of atmosphere I love to get away from at glasto....if I wanted that id start going out in town again on a saturday night haha. The only area of the site ive ever seen any nastiness btw,  that was last year group of lads having a go at one another throwing beers etc.......no thanks.

That was a friendly dance mosh that could be perceived as violent to those casual fans who don't understand it.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

It was part of John Peel last time and it was definitely the worst part of the picking job - JP itself was mostly lager tins, cider tins, paper cups, ale tins, paper cups, and yet more cider tins - I think the average John Peel punter likes a cider or seven! Outside Beat Hotel was LOADS of NOS canisters and it was generally much, much messier than anywhere else in the area.

To make it worse, on a couple of mornings, the staff in the Beat Hotel itself were getting arsey with litterpickers for taking their rest break on the wooden steps outside or for sheltering from the rain in the Beat Hotel itself - we were four hours into shift at that point and just wanted a sit down so it was totally uncalled for and they spoke to us as though we were second-class citizens even though we were cleaning up their mess! On the plus side there is a cracking van next to the Beat Hotel (on the left as you look at the venue) that does ace bacon sarnies and great eggy bread, which is a useful breakfast stop.

That has made me do a cats bum face and I wasnt even there. How very dare you sit down on your break anywhere near the Beat Hotel. Fuckers.

we camped on the small area opposite the beat hotel for quite a few years and it was quite a good central location but became less so .  The last time quite a few people seemed to use the fence by the wildlife reserve and around the back of our tents to use as a toilet for both types !! so last year we moved . Enjoyed it most when it was Cocktails and Dreams and even the Guardian lounge was better .

3 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

That has made me do a cats bum face and I wasnt even there. How very dare you sit down on your break anywhere near the Beat Hotel. Fuckers.

I know. Sitting down! Some of us were drinking water! Shocking! :D

The paths that run along above the pyramid can get pretty horribly busy already adding JP traffic to this could be a recipe for disaster.

Be interested to see how they actually site the JP and if they widen the paths around there. 

Not happy about them moving hospitality as it was nice and handy for wicket gate and stages. I imagine they'll move it closer to the fence again which would be a pain. I would love them to move it back to the interstage area but that will never happen.

I'm happy with this move; I was annoyed when the cinema field was removed for hospitality camping as it made the walk from Gate A to Top Webb's Ash a little trickier. That field seems a good shout for the JP and, assuming they move the hospitality camping to it's old site, it should improve a few of the bottleneck issues around that entrance to Silver Hayes.

Sensible stuff.

• 1 month later...

Just a minor detail on this. I see that Vanity Van have posted that they are very upset to not be granted a stall this year due to the moving of the JP. Am actually quite surprised as it was always heaving but just shows again that all of those stalls along there are having a massive shakeup.

Edited by giantkatestacks

20 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Just a minor detail on this. I see that Vanity Van have posted that they are very upset to not be granted a stall this year due to the moving of the JP. Am actually quite surprised as it was always heaving but just shows again that all of those stalls along there are having a massive shakeup.

Wow really?? there's going to be some upset girlies with that news!!

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Like OMG, how will their clientele survive?! That is like, totally gross!

On 1/18/2016 at 8:26 PM, glasto-worker said:
I only see it when the Crew Coach drives in and out

you can see how large it is at

it appears to be fenced off but what its for I dont have a clue

you can see part of it is very close to Woodsies

each year it does appear to be more densly used - it may be a crew area but who camps there I dont have a clue.

I camp there! Quite a lot of the area is crew camping for the JP fire stewards (like me) and similar. There is a second camping area which mostly has camper vans, but don't know who is in there, assume it is production crew and maybe some bands. Most bands stay in tour buses which park just by the road. There is also a backstage bar, canteen and a production area (which I've never been in).

A recent addition is some music industry hospitality tent, which is quiet most of the time, but occasionally has a band and lots of industry types (mate reckoned he saw Hugh Bonneville there). There's been a few pre-pitched tents in with the crew camping for the last couple of years. Spoke to a guy staying in one and he was a Melody Maker journalist. With the exception of this music industry tent, this area hasn't changed massively over the last few years.

Obviously I will be paying particular interest to where the tent and our camping area are moved. 

2 hours ago, tazbang said:

I camp there! Quite a lot of the area is crew camping for the JP fire stewards (like me) and similar. There is a second camping area which mostly has camper vans, but don't know who is in there, assume it is production crew and maybe some bands. Most bands stay in tour buses which park just by the road. There is also a backstage bar, canteen and a production area (which I've never been in).

A recent addition is some music industry hospitality tent, which is quiet most of the time, but occasionally has a band and lots of industry types (mate reckoned he saw Hugh Bonneville there). There's been a few pre-pitched tents in with the crew camping for the last couple of years. Spoke to a guy staying in one and he was a Melody Maker journalist. With the exception of this music industry tent, this area hasn't changed massively over the last few years.

Obviously I will be paying particular interest to where the tent and our camping area are moved. 

Melody Maker folded in about 2000, didn't it?

Maybe it was a naff chat up line?

7 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

What a great shame for Glastonbury!!!! How we will cope?!

Interesting though, could this mean the public walking area takes a right just after the Beat Hotel/before the production road. Could mean other campsites are effected to create a new path.

3 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

it is going in to Long Ground hospitality, marked on the map on the Glastonbury Festival Website.  The prep has started, new big gap in the hedge between Long Ground and Lower Mead, new paths in the woods south of Spring Ground and various small pipework etc going on.

I love this technical talk