David Bowie RIP

Love the crowd here

Acoustic Bowie!

This entire show is excellent

Edited by The Nal

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

0jU4P9G.gif

2278a53b9c69216eca3668f12a79a57e27f809f0

If you're ever sad, just remember that the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie. 

I saw this quote on face ache and the thought cheered me up just a little bit. Otherwise I can not sum up what this man means to me and the influence he's had on my life

Some lovely tributes on here. I guess he was one of those artists (and there aren't many of them) that produced such vastly differing styles of music over that years that there probably is something for everyone. 

He has such a varied and vast back catalogue that it can almost be intimidating. 

Even as someone who is not a huge fan, this hits quite hard. A sad loss to music.

Looking back now, there was never a chance that he was going to tour after his initial heart attack. Hes was very very ill for over a decade and we should feel incredibly lucky that he made two albums in that time. 6 heart attacks, cancer etc. Yet he kept going.

The whole "death as art" thing with the new album has fried my brain this morning however. A few good glugs of olive oil, gas turned up to 5 and my then my brain, sucked out through my eye sockets, nostrils and mouth and unceremoniously dumped onto the pan and seared like a motherfucker.

Edit - just had to edit the 2nd line from "hes been very very ill" to "he was very very ill". :(

Edited by The Nal

Just teared up in the library watching this, can't believe he's gone. 

'I guess we'll just have to adjust..'

Edited by Mouseboy11

36 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I saw this quote on face ache and the thought cheered me up just a little bit. Otherwise I can not sum up what this man means to me and the influence he's had on my life

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Not Simon Pegg!

Devastated.  Never before felt this way about someone dying I didn't personally know.  Maybe it is because he has been a part of my life since when I bunked off school to catch a bus to Doncaster to see the Ziggy Stardust tour.  He amazed and moved me then and.      continued to do so.

I am not sure whether anyone else noticed or if it does mean anything, but I like to think it does.  When I first viewed the video for Blackstar I saw at the beginning on the space suit is a badge of the smiley face logo, a nod to the story in the film 'Moon' by his son Duncan?  A message to us or am I over thinking this?

My delivery of Blackstar arrived earlier today so I will be listening and learning with sadness - so like David to keep his illness such a secret and release a new album within days of his   dying.

RIP - my hero

And such integrity - turned down a knighthood 

Bowie explained his decision saying, “I would never have any intention of accepting anything like that. I seriously don’t know what it’s for. It’s not what I spent my life working for.”

• Upvote 3

The best gig in the history of the festival we adore.

25/6/2000

Wild Is the Wind
China Girl
Changes
Stay
Life on Mars?
Absolute Beginners
Ashes to Ashes
Rebel Rebel
Little Wonder
Golden Years
Fame
All the Young Dudes
The Man Who Sold the World
Station to Station
Starman
Hallo Spaceboy
Under Pressure
Ziggy Stardust
"Heroes"
Let's Dance
I'm Afraid of Americans

32 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

That was tweeted out yesterday!

And a word from Bowie himself. From 2003.

I feel bitterly angry that I won't be doing all this for the rest of eternity. Rage, that's what you get more than anything else. You get a bit angry, because it's good down here.

26 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The best gig in the history of the festival we adore.

25/6/2000

Wild Is the Wind
China Girl
Changes
Stay
Life on Mars?
Absolute Beginners
Ashes to Ashes
Rebel Rebel
Little Wonder
Golden Years
Fame
All the Young Dudes
The Man Who Sold the World
Station to Station
Starman
Hallo Spaceboy
Under Pressure
Ziggy Stardust
"Heroes"
Let's Dance
I'm Afraid of Americans

I've always felt very lucky to have witnessed this, unbelievable gig. Such a sad day today, RIP you maverick genius.

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I will always wish so much that I was there. More than any other gig in history in a way. At least the other big gigs in history I've missed were before I was born or when I was a kid, or saw them when they were older.

Seconded. I did see him in 2002 and for that I will always be grateful. But watching that performance at Glastonbury always makes me ache to be there. It was something else.

Awful news to wake up to, like with everyone else it didn't feel real. very sad stuff. Have been listening to Blackstar more than any other album the last week and love it, will be playing lots of Bowie today I think.

one of the best. RIP

What a genius he was. I never knew he was ill and always hoped he would make one last appearance at worthy farm so I could witness his true grace. A massive inspiration to many and the biggest and best musician to have lived in my opinion. What a loss. I'm gutted.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

This is one of my favourite clips of him. Look how happy he looks.

Truly brilliant and you're right russy, he looks so so happy. It's such a sad day.