David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Friday, January 06, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Gasgull said:

Yes. Looking forward to it but not sure what to expect.

hopefully as it's labelled "a celebration"

Yea I'm going but not exactly sure what I am going to either. 

Sure whatever it is it will be great.

The Brixton Academy celebration was immense, thoroughly enjoyed it and a great way to celebrate his life.

Did you other guys enjoy it?

They smashed out probably close to 25 amazing tracks and probably could of gone on all night with his incredible catalogue.

Nice to see profits go to charity too.

1 minute ago, joeltg said:

The Brixton Academy celebration was immense, thoroughly enjoyed it and a great way to celebrate his life.

Did you other guys enjoy it?

They smashed out probably close to 25 amazing tracks and probably could of gone on all night with his incredible catalogue.

Nice to see profits go to charity too.

can you explain how it worked? Was there a guest singer for each song? What was that famous actors involvement in it all? (I forget his name)

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

can you explain how it worked? Was there a guest singer for each song? What was that famous actors involvement in it all? (I forget his name)

Gary oldman, a close friend of Bowie, came out and introduced the evening, sang the opening song, then it was pretty much as you said Russy. People revolved all night, some familiar faces in there as well as lot's of band mates he had worked with throughout his career.

La Roux made an appearance, his bassist Gail Ann Dorsey, Mike Garson, Joe Elliott, Earl Slick.

His more jazzy stuff had a gospel type choir involved who went for it.

Each and everyone of them really put there all into it, and did him proud last night. Lot's of people involved, got a little choked at some points.

Worth it just to hear some Saxaphone.

I was waiting for a few tracks to be played (Soul love, Bewlay brothers) but let's face it they couldn't of covered them all otherwise it it would turn into an all nighter!

Edited by joeltg

1 hour ago, joeltg said:

Gary oldman, a close friend of Bowie, came out and introduced the evening, sang the opening song, then it was pretty much as you said Russy. People revolved all night, some familiar faces in there as well as lot's of band mates he had worked with throughout his career.

La Roux made an appearance, his bassist Gail Ann Dorsey, Mike Garson, Joe Elliott, Earl Slick.

His more jazzy stuff had a gospel type choir involved who went for it.

Each and everyone of them really put there all into it, and did him proud last night. Lot's of people involved, got a little choked at some points.

Worth it just to hear some Saxaphone.

I was waiting for a few tracks to be played (Soul love, Bewlay brothers) but let's face it they couldn't of covered them all otherwise it it would turn into an all nighter!

sounds excellent! Wish I'd tried for tickets now. 

Though I am still harbouring a grudge against la roux after that interview where she described some of the songs on young americans as "bad". Every single song on that album is better by an infinite magnitude than anything she has ever or will ever compose. It would be like me drawing a stick man on a scrap of paper then describing michelangelo's creation of adam as "shite".

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

sounds excellent! Wish I'd tried for tickets now. 

Though I am still harbouring a grudge against la roux after that interview where she described some of the songs on young americans as "bad". Every single song on that album is better by an infinite magnitude than anything she has ever or will ever compose. It would be like me drawing a stick man on a scrap of paper then describing michelangelo's creation of adam as "shite".

I'm not aware of the interview but was just wondering if she meant bad as in bad, or bad in the youthful parlance as good?

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm not aware of the interview but was just wondering if she meant bad as in bad, or bad in the youthful parlance as good?

I think she meant "bad" as in not very good.  

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/12/my-favourite-bowie-song-florence-welch-marianne-faithfull-corey-taylor-matty-healy-and-more

Choosing your favourite Bowie song is a bit of an impossible question, but I think I would go for this track from Young Americans. There’s a smoothness and and a sexiness to it. He’s trying to reinterpret soul but not just doing it like some cringey white guy playing soul – he brings a certain kind of art and drama to it that’s all his own. I was watching a load of his performances recently and it really struck home how theatrical he could be. It’s so hard to do that – even Kate Bush can be irritating with it, but Bowie never was. As an artist, you’re always hoping for your influences to come out in your music, but not in an obvious way where people say “Oh, this sounds like this or that” – you want it to sound like you, and Bowie always sounded like Bowie, no matter what his influences were. Young Americans has some bad tracks on it but it really influenced me and my last album. There’s a guitar part in the second verse that plays against another guitar part, and when I heard that for the first time I think I cried with happiness for about 30 minutes. It felt like it had been written just for me, and that’s what Bowie could do with music.

37 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You defending across the universe? Or Fame?

Against la roux? Yep! 

Fame is decent and across the universe is also listenable to.

The same cant be said for la roux's music...

Though we cant be sure these are the songs she's referring to anyway.

I just think it shows an incredible lack of self-awareness to call a musical legend bad, when you yourself are absolute dog eggs.