David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned off when they started trying to do funk guitar on a clarinet. I quite enjoyed Anna Calvi, but the rest were either badly arranged, outside the singer's natural key, or under-rehearsed.

Station to Station for instance, Neil Hannon is a very good singer, butel you could tell he was struggling with the original key. If they'd transposed it down a tone he would have been much more comfortable.

Were the songs after Fame much better?

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Were the songs after Fame much better?

No, still appalling. The versions of space oddity and Valentine's day were indescribably terrible in particular I thought.

Blackstar was ok.

Never before have so many songs been arse raped in such a short space of time

13 hours ago, russycarps said:

Anyone watching this proms thing?

I feel like I should be enjoying it more. It's a bit po-faced though isn't it? Like something some trendy music teachers would throw together.

I just watched it and while I often say live music often doesn't work on tv I thought this was truly awful. Poorly crafted versions of classic and more obscure tracks with a mis match of badly matched singers in many cases   . Didn't get it at all veryDissapointing 

5 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/95338

This should be interesting.

Looking for that single, I came across this artist, David Reznor which appears to be a load of tracks from the Outside sessions and/or live soundboard bootlegs from the tour with Trent Reznor. I *think* it's both, but might just be the Outside sessions.

https://soundcloud.com/david-reznor/15-hallo-spaceboy

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Looking for that single, I came across this artist, David Reznor which appears to be a load of tracks from the Outside sessions and/or live soundboard bootlegs the tour with Trent Reznor. I *think* it's both, but might just be the Outside sessions.

https://soundcloud.com/david-reznor/15-hallo-spaceboy

Interesting stuff. I would have killed to go to the joint Bowie/NIN tour:

Carnegie Hall did it so much better in five days. How do you think they chose those singers? There are so many others that would havr been fit for the job. Genuine fans. Of his music who were influenced by him. The whoke thing was a let down.

50 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Scary monsters and heroes on shit loads chez scruff recently. Even started to like fashion which previously was my most hated pre let's dance bowie song apart from fame. 

Haven't got lodger. Need to rectify that. 

Yep, when you listen to the album as a whole, fashion is more than acceptable. Whereas fame is poo-plops no matter how you look at it. I blame john lennon anyway.

Lodger is ace, I prefer it to heroes there days, but never used to like it much. I think a lot of people (me included) were/are put off it because of boys keep swinging, which is quite an irritating song.

Look back in anger is sensational though, as is fantastic voyage. I like move on too, it always makes me want to dance like a tit. Though it is a bit of a novelty song I suppose.

In short: buy lodger you damn fool! 

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Think from being a teen i had problems with fashion, fame, and even golden years and tvc15  cos they didn't work on  a greatest hits cd following the ziggy and diamond dogs stuff but as you say in the context of how they're supposed to be heard they're much better. 

Fame is shite. So that means on young Americans that you laud so much, half of side two is ballsweatingly bad. (I'm presuming you can't like across the universe).

Yeh, I am not keen on golden years either I must admit. TVC15 I can take or leave too. Those two are the reason station to station is never that close to the top of my fav album lists.

With young americans how can I be now and it's gonna be me were ditched in place of the 2 you mention, so I just pretend those 2 are the proper album tracks. The 2 duds are just down to bowie being starstruck so dont count!

• 1 month later...

I swallowed my vomit down and clicked on a DM link (for which I may never forgive you).  I got no further than the headline and sub-heads due to this peach:

Headline: "...asks whether his 'stage managed' death was the result of assisted suicide"

Sub-head: "...talks off rumours that legend's death may have been assisted suicide"

And my parents ask me why I loathe the M*il so much.

"Also talks off rumours that legend's death may have been assisted suicide"

I think you mean "talks of" you illiterate twats,

"When David attended Marc Bolan’s funeral at London’s Golders Green Crematorium in 1977 he bumped into June Bolan. Marc’s estranged wife had been banned from attending, but had managed to smuggle herself in. It has since been confirmed, by a close mutual friend of David and Marc, that David and June slept together on the night of the funeral – while Marc’s partner Gloria Jones, the mother of his son Rolan, lay seriously injured in hospital, unaware that he was dead."

This is the worst part of the article by a long stretch, It may well be true Bowie spent the night at June's after the funeral but that doesn't mean they slept together, anyone with any sense would realise it was two old friends comforting each other and dealing with the loss of a friend, June's split from Marc wasn't acrimonious and David had worked with him very recently, Marc's death must have been a great shock to them both. Marc, June and David are now all dead so they can print any lies and innuendo they like and there is no recourse, very sad that some people will believe this shit.

7 hours ago, gizmoman said:

"Also talks off rumours that legend's death may have been assisted suicide"

I think you mean "talks of" you illiterate twats,

"When David attended Marc Bolan’s funeral at London’s Golders Green Crematorium in 1977 he bumped into June Bolan. Marc’s estranged wife had been banned from attending, but had managed to smuggle herself in. It has since been confirmed, by a close mutual friend of David and Marc, that David and June slept together on the night of the funeral – while Marc’s partner Gloria Jones, the mother of his son Rolan, lay seriously injured in hospital, unaware that he was dead."

This is the worst part of the article by a long stretch, It may well be true Bowie spent the night at June's after the funeral but that doesn't mean they slept together, anyone with any sense would realise it was two old friends comforting each other and dealing with the loss of a friend, June's split from Marc wasn't acrimonious and David had worked with him very recently, Marc's death must have been a great shock to them both. Marc, June and David are now all dead so they can print any lies and innuendo they like and there is no recourse, very sad that some people will believe this shit.

If you had gone to some of the funerals that I have been to, then maybe you'd have a different perspective. Having witnessed debauchery at close quarters I would say that it was easily in the remit of David Bowie acting scandalously with whoever.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...