David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, russycarps said:

No, but to go back to privately-educated la roux, she is so supremely self confident, and so lacking in humility that she can blithely dismiss songs by david bowie as "bad", while sitting on an entire catalogue of her own shite.

Sorry to wade in here, but some people are just like that, regardless of their background and upbringing. Liam Gallagher, for example.

Just trying to add a bit of balance.

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Sorry to wade in here, but some people are just like that, regardless of their background and upbringing. Liam Gallagher, for example.

Just trying to add a bit of balance.

I agree, there are exceptions on either side.

But la roux is as pure an example of the private school system as you could hope to find.

I'm by far a fan of La Roux's music but I have a nice story about her which I thought I'd share to add some balance. At Glastonbury in 2015, waiting for Suede (headlining the John Peel stage) we got a good spot at the barrier but had to endure La Roux's set to do so. Standing behind me for the whole show was a clearly very emotional lady holding a homemade banner. She asked if I would drape it over the barrier during La Roux as it had messages to the band and her children (the family's favourite band apparently) who unfortunately were unable to attend. She was very grateful and I got chatting to her about her family and she mentioned that La Roux's music got her and her kids through a very difficult relationship lasting a number of years where she suffered terrible domestic abuse. After the show had finished, one of the security guards approached me and asked who the banner belonged to. After explaining whose it was and the background behind it, he took it backstage, by request of Elly, where she and the rest of the band signed it and put some lovely messages on it for her to take back to her children. The look on the lady's face when it came back is one of my favourite recent Glastonbury memories.Thought it was a nice gesture. 

Still, she was fecking awful at the Celebrating David Bowie gig the other night.

Edited by SPTFRE

On 11/01/2017 at 0:20 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah I know, the video doesn't seem to be about, but the offer is there in case you (or anyone else) want the audio.  I wish the video would surface, but it seems to be locked up tight.

So was it all broadcasted then? I'm pretty sure I remember watching it.

I used to regularly tape Glastonbury headline sets. Though I am sure I would have remembered having such a monumental piece, it may be on an unlabled VHS hidden amongst a hundred other unlabled VHSs. That Radiohead set is definitely in that box somewhere. I honestly can't see that box ever being looked at. There is just not enough time. I bought a VHS/DVD/HDD machine with the intention of going through all of my old stuff. Realised how long it would take and abandoned it (the machine had a right clunky interface iirc).

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

How so?

I haven't a clue. I was stoned at the time of writing that, and can no longer recall my thought processes. I suspect it was, at the end of the day, just me being over powered by the quality and depth of Bowie's art - by which I mean his music.

On the subject of Bowie, we (my wife and I) have a relatively new friend who is 24 years old and Bowie mad. It's really pleasing (for some unknown reason) to see much youger people take the time out to 'expose' themselves to his body of work. I guess, for many, that once you do that you're hooked.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I actually thought that @The Nal would have known better than to expect you to make sense of your posts, yog. 

The man has obviously gone stone mad.

PS - how do you do that highlighty the thing of someone's user name. Is it just a case of copy pasting and highlighting?

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The man has obviously gone stone mad.

PS - how do you do that highlighty the thing of someone's user name. Is it just a case of copy pasting and highlighting?

Start typing their name with the @ sign at the beginning, @Yoghurt on a Stick Predictive text will help.