David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having watched the Lemmy memorial at the weekend hearing this news has just compounded the bleakness i have felt this weekend.

Bowie was more than a musician he challenged his audience at every level and never stopped opening people's eyes, ears and brain to new things. An in incredible individual who leaves behind a body of work and a life that will continue to live on not only in the memory of those who grew up listening and watching him but also in those he inspired.

A truly sad day. :(

Horrible news to wake up to, and a sad, sad day for music. He has been a massive part of the soundtrack to my life, I grew up listening to him. Such a sad thought that we can no longer even hope or dream that he might grace the Pyramid again. 

What a bleak day.

'One of a kind' is a cliché that's massively overused, but is totally accurate in Bowie's case. When I first heard, I looked on YouTube for a good video to post on FB, and as I was watching 'Wild is the wind' from glasto 2000, the tears started flowing. I'm in bits :( 

Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world 

There may never be a man to inspire following genres of music like Bowie again, without him the completion of the music we listen to now, would be unimaginable, rest well sir, rest well

Absolutely devastated. It's still sinking in. I thought he was meant to live forever; always seemed like he would. Was only chatting to my friend about how great Black star is yesterday and how exciting it was to see him still being a pioneer and pushing the boundaries. I feel genuinely privileged to have lived in his lifetime and to have once seen him live. It wasn't just his music, it was that he was an inspiration to pretty much everyone I have ever loved creatively. He represented something important. RIP

It's not often hearing the death of someone stops you in your tracks but this one did this morning.

I wasn't massively aware of Bowie as a teen but when I went to Uni a housemate was a completist, and I started to give his classic albums a whirl. In 2000, I went to my first Glastonbury - as a 20 year old, it was  life-changing. The most amazing weekend ever, great weather, great mates, most of whom we still go with. On Sunday night, Bowie headlined, and I don't think it will ever be beaten. Hit after hit, just in awe of a musical god. The sound was crystal clear. The most spellbinding version of Life On Mars? ever, and an epic version of Heroes, with every hit in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWkhrSrOMXE

My mate who was the pianist in my band went with us, and immediately on our return we learned that version of that song. (He had even changed the key due to his laryngitis, making it much easier for a mere mortal like me to sing). We have played it 100 times since then, last sung at the same mates wedding instead of a first dance. 

For many, many reasons such as these 2 memories, I am gutted today.

They played Absolute Beginners on the radio a moment ago. :.( 

RIP

He had 6 heart attacks in recent years his biographer just said on Sky News.

Tony Visconti:

"He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art. He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry."