Glastonbury with a baby!

CAdams

Hi all!

My Husband and I are heading to Glastonbury this year with our little one who will be 15 months old by then. We have been many times before, and are really looking forward to taking our Son with us this year.

I have been looking at advice as to what to take with us etc, and am thinking of buying a cheap second hand 3 wheeler all terrain buggy.  Does anybody who has taken a baby before have advice as to which buggies are best in dealing with the likely muddy ground?

Many thanks!

I've no young 'uns, but the best things I've seen are the low square-ish trolleys, like a car trailer, on a frame with 4 wheels, where the front 2 turn on an axle (maybe you can get them in plastic). You should be able to secure the child seat in it, add a sun cover or r*in sheet. They can be pulled along and although are heavier, will more easily be turned than a pram, in the grass and mud. The child's got more room but it's secure, and you have space for its kit and your stuff. You can also decorate it in a "new parent at a festival" style, in glitter (meant well, not sarcasm). Take your child (with ear defenders) but you will need a robust trolley, or run the risk of it breaking and you having to carry everything. If you get the trailer, it can be used around the garden and all sorts after. Does the shop link have any? ∆

Edit, there is a trolley but as it's collapsible, it looks too risky for using with kids.

Edited by carlosj

The first time we took our son, we took a mothercare my3 buggy like this

image.jpg.aff46d7f36de42cdcf2619b73e745f

I don't think they make that model anymore, but you might find them 2nd hand on eBay. It was great, but one tip: if it gets very wet, pull it behind you rather than pushing it, then it definitely won't dig in. 

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

The first time we took our son, we took a mothercare my3 buggy like this

image.jpg.aff46d7f36de42cdcf2619b73e745f

I don't think they make that model anymore, but you might find them 2nd hand on eBay. It was great, but one tip: if it gets very wet, pull it behind you rather than pushing it, then it definitely won't dig in. 

This type are good. We took our son at 6 weeks old in 2014 and bought a used Phil & Teds.

Make sure you get pneumatic tyres like this has, take a puncture repair kit. They are better at going trough the mud and won't break if you hit something in the mud or the hard ground (because there won't be any rain).

He has since been to two Latitudes in it.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, wonderwoman76 said:

Would you consider using a sling instead? You can carry him on your back, much easier to get around and he'll have a great view too! A toddler connecta would be easy to use

The only issue with a sling is if it gets muddy. They're definitely easier to get around with than a buggy/trolley when it's dry (as long as baby is small enough to not completely destroy your shoulders after 5 full days!), but it can get pretty slippery when wet. It's bad enough landing on your arse in the mud by yourself, but with a baby it could be pretty dangerous. 

13 hours ago, mr gumby said:

The only issue with a sling is if it gets muddy. They're definitely easier to get around with than a buggy/trolley when it's dry (as long as baby is small enough to not completely destroy your shoulders after 5 full days!), but it can get pretty slippery when wet. It's bad enough landing on your arse in the mud by yourself, but with a baby it could be pretty dangerous. 

That is true, though I would think the mud would render the prom pretty useless. Maybe a combination of both could work

Ive done quite a few glastonburys (muddy and sunny) with babies - my youngest being three months old in the 2011 mud. i have always used a cycle trailer and found it dealt with the mud very well indeed - the full size wheels dont get clogged up with mud like all of the buggys do. i even attached my baby's carry cot inside when he was teeny and he slept really well in it and as its completely covered he was nice and toasty too. during the day with him though, i just kept him in a sling on my front and pushed his two brothers in the trailer - that way i made sure i kept my balance in the mud!

i have done glastonbury with a baby also. she was 8 months old on the first one and has been to every one since.

A sling is not a bad idea as a back up and a break from pushing a buggy if it gets muddy.

RainbowChild's trailer sounds very good if you can aquire/ borrow one. big weells are better than small. but they all get clogged with mud eventually.

we have used a fold up maclaren for a couple of years ( did ok but not great in the deep mud and one wheel fell off in the mud going back to car, a very kind teenager stuck his hand in a pool of mud to retrieve it for me, may good festival karma follow him all his days )

we bought a second hand three wheeler large buggy. That did a bit better but the front wheel came free of the axle, the screw sheered off. I fixed that by pushing a tent peg through instead and whacking it with the mallet to form a right angle which did pretty well. mr gumby's tip pulling instead of pushing is a good especially when you get tired.

when she was a bit older ( 5 or 6 I think ) we took a fold up fabric base wheel barrow for her to sleep in during the evening - disaster it filled with rain cos I couldn't  fashion a suitable rain hood for it and she was v uncomfortable just with the shape. resorted to just taking a camping chair but accepted the lack of mobility.

hope you have lots of fun, kids field is fabulous ( i miss it a bit, she's 14 now and last year we didnt even pop in for nostalgia's sake, a bit sad for me)

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2016 at 3:52 PM, CAdams said:

Hi all!

My Husband and I are heading to Glastonbury this year with our little one who will be 15 months old by then. We have been many times before, and are really looking forward to taking our Son with us this year.

I have been looking at advice as to what to take with us etc, and am thinking of buying a cheap second hand 3 wheeler all terrain buggy.  Does anybody who has taken a baby before have advice as to which buggies are best in dealing with the likely muddy ground?

Many thanks!

We have done two Glasto's with our little un now, one at 8 months and then last year at 20 months (also she came along on the inside in 2013!)  Both years I have carried her in a sling and never had an issue.  I also take walking poles so that I don't have to worry about loosing footing if/when the mud appears.

She'll be near three this year and I'll be taking the sling again as she will not sit in a buggy when there is stuff going on!! 

We do have one of the garden trolley type pull alongs (which we used for beer pre-baby) so that may come in future years, but for the moment she is still happy to be carried so that is what we are planning :)

Have a great time, maybe see you in the Kidz Fields :)