Y NOT FESTIVAL 2016

MommaSoph

2 hours ago, craigb said:

Y Not was my favourite festival I went to last year. Considering went to Glastonbury among others as well. 

I love everything about the festival. I find it really friendly and welcoming. It doesn't feel like its been taken over by the corporate greed like other festivals. 

Fantastic location especially when the suns shining!  

The real ale tents are a big plus for me. They have smaller intimate stages/tents with live music. Feels like you're really up close and personal with acts.

Great place to catch up and coming talent and a few big acts 

Great entertainment at night after the main stage closes down. Silent disco, "secret" rave tent, caught some reggae and jazz bands in small tents, some communal campfires that everybody gathers round, roller disco! 

looking forward to it too,  Kendal calling was my festival of choice for the passed 3 years, until last year, it expanded massively and not for the better,  more people same amount of space in the arena.  Bit more camping space set up, still cramped though.  Looking forward to a more chilled festival this year, not to say we are not going for a party too!!!!

Could do with some act announcements, to wet the whistle!!!!!  

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh so not too long to wait :) Im just really excited.

Are they strict with what Size Tent you take and how much booze are you allowed?

I was planning on taking bottle Vodka, Some redbulls and perhaps some ciders aswell.

Cheers

Sophia

22 minutes ago, MommaSoph said:

Are they strict with what Size Tent you take and how much booze are you allowed?

I was planning on taking bottle Vodka, Some redbulls and perhaps some ciders aswell.

Cheers

Sophia

Not really strict, like any festival, amounts considered beyond reasonable personal use could be confiscated.

Your own food and drink are not meant to be taken into the main arena areas, campsite only. But sometimes they are relaxed about it, other times they may confiscate it if you try to get into arena area, probably depends on the steward and their mood. 

The Y Not main arena is split into two. With tent stages on one side. Main stage and most food stalls on the other. And a walkway that leads to campsite one way and car park other way, that runs between arena areas.

Edited by craigb

Oh brilliant thanks Craigb you have been a great help.

Its only me and my friend but we bringing a decent sized tent so we can sit in the porch bit etc.

One last question, food/beer  prices? Im trying to think how much money I need for the weekend, trying to do as cheaply as possible! 

Thanks Again

10 minutes ago, MommaSoph said:

Oh brilliant thanks Craigb you have been a great help.

Its only me and my friend but we bringing a decent sized tent so we can sit in the porch bit etc.

One last question, food/beer  prices? Im trying to think how much money I need for the weekend, trying to do as cheaply as possible! 

Thanks Again

Similar to most festivals pint £3.50+. But if you're into beer/ale its a lo better than most festivals that just serve Tuborg 
Cocktails / spirit + mixers I'm really not sure about.
Food again like most festivals £4+. They have a good selection of food stalls despite being a smaller festival.

Think how much money you take on a night out. For meal and (a lot of) drinks. Take that for each day of the festival. If you wanting to do it on the cheap cut out some drinks, drink more at campsite and take food for breakfast with you to have at campsite.  

All i heard about lower down the bill was that someone who headlined 2 or 3 years ago has already been lined up. Bit cryptic I know sorry!

I heard the capacity has increased to 20,000 this year.... is that right?

If so they should have deeper pockets to get Noel and his High Flying Birds??

22 hours ago, MommaSoph said:

Cheers

Sophia

I found last year keeping a plastic cup and then going back to campsite to fill it up worked fine and didn't get stopped by security. Might not be worth it for pints of cider but if you are on spirits will be loads cheaper (a pint of vodka can go a long way!). Don't forget to put the vodka etc into plastic bottles etc rather than glass. The security at Y Not were the most thorough of ANY festival I've ever been to (and I'm and old fart who has been to a lot!)

Edited by Flaminglippy

@Jimbobz Very cryptic! Im so excited I just need announcements now,

I would love Noel to be there think it would be ace! 

@Flaminglippy - Great stuff, thank you for that. Yeah was planning on going back to campsire for refreshments anyway, Is the campsite far?

Also how are the campsites? Are they ok? I worry that stuff will get nicked lol.

5 / 10 min walk I'd say to campsite. 

Some of the camping is on a hill

No announcement date has been set yet. That's not to say it won't be soon though

20,000 would be 5,000 more than last year. So would probably have to expand the camping. They are doing what I think is new "VIP" camping, so they maybe expanding. Unless they do day tickets

I saw the VIP camping but cant afford it! I would love to do Glamping but will to settle for a normal tent.

As I said not been to festival since download 2005 and i remember the toilets being grim and also a Mission to get to the campsite.

Planning on getting there for 10 when it opens Friday so can set up tent and see Bands, how do you go about getting a Thursday ticket?

Thursday entry tickets are £16. You get them on gigantic or the y not site.

They have the odd band on the Thursday as well. and you will get a better camping spot

12 minutes ago, MommaSoph said:

I saw the VIP camping but cant afford it! I would love to do Glamping but will to settle for a normal tent.

As I said not been to festival since download 2005 and i remember the toilets being grim and also a Mission to get to the campsite.

Planning on getting there for 10 when it opens Friday so can set up tent and see Bands, how do you go about getting a Thursday ticket?

Edited by craigb

On 2 February 2016 at 2:01 PM, Dazoodo07 said:

looking forward to it too,  Kendal calling was my festival of choice for the passed 3 years, until last year, it expanded massively and not for the better,  more people same amount of space in the arena.  Bit more camping space set up, still cramped though.  Looking forward to a more chilled festival this year, not to say we are not going for a party too!!!!

Could do with some act announcements, to wet the whistle!!!!!  

I'm a Kendal defector too. Similar lines up to y not in previous years and hoping for a little less rain and a little bit less corporateness! 

15 hours ago, Fazzaship said:

I'm a Kendal defector too. Similar lines up to y not in previous years and hoping for a little less rain and a little bit less corporateness! 

I went to Y Not in 2013 and 2014, missed last year. 2013 had to be stopped halfway through because of a lightning storm, Mystery Jets were pulled off the main stage 3 songs into their set ha and 2014 was a washout ha, honest you haven't seen anything like it, hoping for less rain too, but hope is all it is

18 hours ago, Fazzaship said:

Be interested to see tomorrows line up announcement (which happens to correspond with Kendal making their announcement).

Been to Kendal for 4 of the last 5 years...last year's line up was really great for a festival of that size but they set themselves up for a fall as I doubt they can do it again.

Living in West Yorkshire I may be tempted with Y Not if the line up is strong (or value for money)...lets see what tomorrow brings.