Y NOT FESTIVAL 2016

MommaSoph

We not leaving till about 3,45 friday as my mate stuck at work. But hopefully be able to get a good spot. If any one fancies helping 2 damsels in distress set up a tent holllla HAHAHHA!

Looking forward to it, Hope the weather is not too bad lol X

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Pigeon Detective said:

You can go back to your car can't you to do a second run once pitched?

I'm pretty sure form reading previous posts that you can. That is one of the perks of going for the family camping. You are close to your car for supply trips for the kids etc. They wouldnt expect you to carry a family's worth of gear in one trip :)

Edited by woodta

4 hours ago, Pigeon Detective said:

You can go back to your car can't you to do a second run once pitched?

They could not possibly/legally stop you returning to your vehicle mate! You have purchased a ticket to a festival fella, not to a concentration camp. We have a diabetic camping with us. His insulin will be staying in the car until its needed for obvious reasons. One of us will be returning to the car with him atleast 3 times a day.

1 hour ago, MommaSoph said:

Hi can we just camp where we like if going early entry ? Wanna try get in rock n roll camping X 

Yes you'll be fine.

Bit of a reference to the campsites and other info from the local paper.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/everything-you-need-to-know-about-y-not-festival/story-29556201-detail/story.html

The Clashfinder site have updated their times today too. I fond this a bit easier than the planner on the YNot site myself.

http:///s/ynf2016/

First time at y not but have spent the last two years at Kendal calling as my non-Glastonbury festival. 

Two questions and an observation really:

- is the beer and cider on site on draught or is it cans? Kendal was (regularly warm) cans of beers and plastic bottles of kopperberg for the cider so far from ideal. Any better here?

- we missed the shuttle bus sale for Monday to get to the station (managed to get some for tomorrow) as we assumed it'd be like a normal festival where you could get off the train and then queue for one. This doesn't appear to be the case, how do we get to the station on Monday??

- only an hour and 15 for headliners. Not the best really is it? 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

First time at y not but have spent the last two years at Kendal calling as my non-Glastonbury festival. 

Two questions and an observation really:

- is the beer and cider on site on draught or is it cans? Kendal was (regularly warm) cans of beers and plastic bottles of kopperberg for the cider so far from ideal. Any better here?

- we missed the shuttle bus sale for Monday to get to the station (managed to get some for tomorrow) as we assumed it'd be like a normal festival where you could get off the train and then queue for one. This doesn't appear to be the case, how do we get to the station on Monday??

- only an hour and 15 for headliners. Not the best really is it? 

Depends on the bar you go to. Both draught and cans available on site.

With headliner sets it cuts out filler songs and chat. More hits, less shit! 

17 minutes ago, craigb said:

Depends on the bar you go to. Both draught and cans available on site.

With headliner sets it cuts out filler songs and chat. More hits, less shit! 

Cheers - glad I can get a proper pint! It's more for Noel, would prefer to see some of the more obscure tracks rather than wonderwall to be fair.  

editors won't play many hits anyway so doesn't matter with them. 

How did everyone find the festival?

First timer thoughts?

They've stepped their game up with night time entertainment again. It's great for a small festival.

Spent a lot of the weekend in the Jack Rocks tent / The Allotment stage, some fantastic up and coming bands. 

Barely noticed the increased capacity to be honest. Could of done with keeping on top on the toilets a bit more if anything. 

3 hours ago, craigb said:

How did everyone find the festival?

First timer thoughts?

They've stepped their game up with night time entertainment again. It's great for a small festival.

Spent a lot of the weekend in the Jack Rocks tent / The Allotment stage, some fantastic up and coming bands. 

Barely noticed the increased capacity to be honest. Could of done with keeping on top on the toilets a bit more if anything. 

Third time at Y-Not, the place just gets better every year, extra capacity was barely noticeable. It had that proper festival feel to it this year for some reason. I'll definitely be returning next year. 10/10 on every aspect

Not sure. Seemed like they might have overstretched at times, stewards didn't know where anything was, shortage of clean toilets unless you paid extra for the privelege and some really crowded moments. Seemed lots further from parking to camping too.

But- I really liked the single arena set up, the food stalls had increased and improved significantly, it was mostly friendly and I saw a stack of excellent bands.  Particular highlights were discovering new stuff like cabbage, white room and queen kwong, and sets from deap vally, eagulls and a big Peter Hook singalong.

This was my first time at YNOT and I can safely say I will be returning next year. Pound for Pound one of the best festivals out there. Saturday night was up there with one of the best nights of my life. To finally see Noel live was just out of this world.

Other highlights being

The hives - what a frontman in Pelle they have. He really knows how to work a crowd. Also this morning I was speaking to a couple of guys who ended up having a beer with Pelle and the drummer after the set. These guys were having a beer at their tent (they had a big hives flag blowing away) and all of a sudden Pelle and the drummer turned up. The drummer had seen the flag when he went out for a run earlier and wanted to come say Hey. Mental! they also showed me the pictures to prove it :)

Editors - really suprised me how good they were, i wasnt expecting them to blow me away like they did.

Sunset sons - my thrd time of seeing them and they did not disappoint once more

Broken witt rebels - I was really excited to see these guys open things up on the thursday but the stewards fucked this up for me as none of them (at 3 entrances) would let us in as they all kept saying that it was a delayed opening because of the weather. By the time we finally were allowed in they were already 20mins into their set!!!! I felt really sorry for them as they only had about 15 people watching them play on the main stage. Thankfully they played a secret gig on sunday at the allotment and this totally made up for the fuck up on thursday.

catfish, eliza and the bear, milky chance, fun lovin criminals, lucille, madness and coasts were all very very good too.

My only moan is about the total lack of showers. I was in the family camping and we were told that there would be showers (on the website it was sold as a perk of being in the family camping). Then we were told on thursday evening that they hadnt turned up. Friday came and still no showers and we were told about 5 different stories from 5 different stewards as to why there wasnt any (this total lack of communicaiton between stewards was a running theme) In the end we just gave up. It was ok for me and i'll happily go dirty for 4 days but i felt for the large familes that were there with kids etc who needed them more and were told they were still going to arrive even as late as Saturday.

They have now removed this information from the website, as if they are trying to ignore the fact that this was advertised as a service. very very poor and naughty in my eyes.

So bar a couple of little moans it still turned out to be a fantastic festival. Just a couple of little tweaks here and there and it could be even better.

Awesome weekend. Noel, Editors, Deep Vally, FLC, The Hives, Hello Operator and Ferocious Dog were the highlights, will defo go next year depending on line up.

Only negative for me was that a lot of the tent stages over spilled I had to watch Beans On Toast, Sundara Karma and Milk Teeth from outside. It was very questionable as to why they didn't extend them when they knew there would be a massive increase in attendance.

Isnt it funny how we all have different opinions. I usually go to Kendal, and have done for the last 5/6 or so years, this weekend but fancied a change a Y not looked a contender (technically I wanted to go to Something Else in the North but the missus overruled me :P). 

Now don't get me wrong, I didnt think it was rubbish and we had a good weekend, I just didn't feel it was all that.  It seemed pretty chaotic from the off (not in the good way!) and just didnt feel all that "festivally" to me (if that isnt a word then it should be!)

Glad we went but prob wont return in a hurry.

Hope everyone enjoyed it.

My first time at Y Not and had an outstanding weekend. Do feel a lot of that had to do with the line-up, but the setting and atmosphere ensured there was a warm reception. Sundara Karma, InHeaven and, The Coral and Everything Everything were among the highlights.

My main gripe was with the non-enforcement of the rules surrounding bringing alcohol into the arena, which seemed pretty clear before the festival but was overlooked by stewards during the weekend.

I've got no problem with people being able to bring alcohol into the arenas a la Glastonbury but I assumed the rule would be enforced, and therefore brought little or no additional drink, which was slightly annoying. Stewards manning the arena entrances said they were only paid to check wristbands rather than bags etc.

I am sure had this year not been my first I would have been alive to the fact this rule didn't really exist, and will certainly have learned ahead of future years.

Also made the mistake of paying £50 for the VIP area which bar the fast track entry was totally unjustifiable. Showers were unkept and short in supply. Toilets weren't much better. Plus, the VIP area in the arena was at best an afterthought.

Though it might not sound like it, I had a terrific weekend and will be back next year should the line-up suit.

Y-Not was amazing!!  Apart from Thursday and early Friday the weather was lovely and I'm just glad the ground held up from the rain earlier.  Lineup was amazing from a personal point of view and was seeing stuff almost all afternoon each day, Jack Daniels/The Allotment being a regular haunt for our group, they done really well with the lineup in there.  Milburn, The Cribs and Baby Strange probably my top 3 however it's hard to pick.

My only gripe was that I found the selection of food poor (I know I can't expect too much for festival food but even at that I wasn't impressed!) 

Great weekend though and pretty sure I'll be coming back next year although the journey from Edinburgh was pretty brutal!

I'm really surprised by the people who say they didn't notice the extra 10,000 people. With the increased numbers you get good and bad.

The good is that we got bigger artists and much more strength in depth, was a great lineup in fact. Loved the new smaller tents too and would have been a great addition if there was more room in the cinema and could have got in. The new arena layout worked really well I thought.

The negatives would be the much increased distance to the car parks, the traffic jam to get in and the inadequate security. Saw at least 4 fences that had been moved to make gaps that never got replaced, in fact after taking some stuff back to the car Sunday morning we walked straight in without passing security. The VIP upgrade was a total rip off, over subscribed and poorly planned. The one thing that really needs addressing is the size of The Quarry, it stands to reason that the 2nd stage is likely to get bigger crowds with the greater number of people.

The organisers just need to learn from the teething problems associated with big change in site layout. Going from 15,000 to 25,000 in a year is a huge jump and there were bound to be some issues. 

It was my first time this year and in all honesty.. I was not a fan. 

I have to agree with most of the points mentioned on here. Security were awful (well, they weren't awful, there just wasn't enough of them and nobody seemed to know where anything was or what was going on)

@copmn I could not agree more about the Quarry, the stage was way too small, I went with a few friends to DJ fresh and his set was cut short by about an hour or so because it was so dangerous. My friend missed the rest of the weekend as she was in hospital with broken ribs from the crushing. 

Also, one thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet is how they seem to care about the money more than the people. Charging £15 to park is disgusting, and likewise the same price for a Thursday ticket. You also had to pay each night for the silent disco, where there was a huge queue and there was nothing else going on. 

This festival to me just seemed like all they cared about was making money and not about people's happiness or safety and I probably won't be going again next year. 

My first Y not this year after trekking down from Glasgow and I must say I loved it. Had no issues with security or anything and the crowd seemed mostly friendly from my experience. Spent a lot of time in the giant squid stage and never found it dangerously overcrowded. Favourite bands have to be Editors who blew me away, neck deep, Moose blood, madness and gnarlwolves. 

Would maybe return next year depending on line up, although I really want to try 2000 trees 

Edited by Thrillhouse

17 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

Also, one thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet is how they seem to care about the money more than the people. Charging £15 to park is disgusting, and likewise the same price for a Thursday ticket. You also had to pay each night for the silent disco, where there was a huge queue and there was nothing else going on. 

This festival to me just seemed like all they cared about was making money and not about people's happiness or safety and I probably won't be going again next year. 

Nothing else to do other than silent disco? Are you joking? you missed out on all the best late night tents and entertainment. We partied til early hours every night without stepping foot in the silent disco. Sounds like you didnt try or look around. 

Most festivals you have pay for parking, even Glasto. Of cause they care about making money they are a business like every other festival and organiser! 

Kendal Calling - £130 + £17.50 camping + £8 parking
V Fest - £200 + £20 parking
Reading Festival  - £213 + £10 parking + £20 early
Boom Town Fair - £170 + £15 parking
Glasto - £233 + £25 parking (upfront or £40 on gate)

I agree on some levels with the security issues some people have mentioned but would people rather the stewards be bothering festival goers all the time and it become too policed. We saw stewards step up when people were getting to rowdy and annoying people. Everyone seemed to enjoy "sneaking" a few cans into the arena.  

Edited by craigb

On 02/08/2016 at 0:13 PM, Huckleberry Finn said:

My main gripe was with the non-enforcement of the rules surrounding bringing alcohol into the arena, which seemed pretty clear before the festival but was overlooked by stewards during the weekend.

I've got no problem with people being able to bring alcohol into the arenas a la Glastonbury but I assumed the rule would be enforced, and therefore brought little or no additional drink, which was slightly annoying. Stewards manning the arena entrances said they were only paid to check wristbands rather than bags etc.

In my 26 years of attending festivals this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that this is a bad thing. Honestly, you see something new everyday.  

1 hour ago, hoils said:

In my 26 years of attending festivals this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that this is a bad thing. Honestly, you see something new everyday.  

Wasn't complaining about it per say, more that I wasn't in a position to take advantage of it. Given how strict other festivals bar Glastonbury, Reading/V/IOW for example, are about this I was annoyed I wasn't able to benefit on this occasion. Have no issue with alcohol being allowed into the arenas and will know for next time when attending a medium sized festival.