Spending money.

ashtaylor1

Here's some things I found :) gives you a rough idea of food and prices for last year.

Near Arcadia there was a crumpet stall where you could get 2 big square Marmite or jam crumpets for about £2.50, which was nice. And you could get a pint of Brothers cider near the Greenfields (I think) which was pretty strong stuff for something like £4? I found the further away from the main stages you went the cheaper the food was too :) 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/festivals/glastonbury-2015-the-best-food-stalls-to-grab-a-bite-at-the-festival-10339797.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/festivals/glastonbury-2015-the-best-food-stalls-to-grab-a-bite-at-the-festival-10339797.html

We always spend more than we plan to! 

We take a camping stove with us so we can have tea and coffee at the tent, plus we tend to cook our first meal there and a couple of breakfasts. So whilst it is extra stuff to carry, it's worth it (to us anyway!).

Last year we did £60 on the amazing ales at the new bar up the hill by Park stage. I think it was the Thursday and it was one of my best Glastonbury memories ever (think I've been 8 times), just sitting in the sun with out friends, having a laugh and drinking nice beer.

I'd say food on average last year was about £6. If you search these boards (chat board not questions) there was a good thread last year on peoples' favourite food. I always feel disappointed if I buy shit festival food, so it was good to do a bit of research for what's good. There's a mexican place by the entrance to Park stage (it was there the last two years) that serves big plates of really tasty food.

I'd say most beers are around £5. We didn't do any cocktails last year, but I think they're about £7. 

I think if you're on a budget then definitely take some basic food with you, a crate of beer and maybe a bottle of spirit (depending on how hard you plan to hit it!) and then that should cut down your spending a bit.

The last few years I have taken about £300, put it in the lock-ups and take some out each morning. I've not come close to spending it all. Last year I came home with about £40 and thats with buying a hoodie, a £20 donation to the lock-ups, doing a craft activity, all food bought on site, and most beers. From memory I took about 8 cans with me last year and some gin.

As everyone says tthe further you get from the pyramid, the cheaper and better the food. If you are near the pyramid, I recommend the Tor Rugby Club mexican stall, somewhere near the cider bus I think. Not exactly gourmet, but cheap, good and filling. 

Warning when people say just take spirits and buy mixers on site if gin and tonic is your poison it's not very easy to get hold of tonic on site. If anyone knows of anywhere selling it I'd be grateful. Last year I resorted to batting my eyelashes at a guy behind a bar to sell me a bottle, when he realised he had no idea what the cost would be and he'd have to ask a supervisor he just gave it to me in the end :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 January 2016 at 7:41 PM, ashtaylor1 said:

Hi guys.

I know this question may sound crazy as personal preference will be the ultimate answer to this, but how much would you recommend taking to Glastonbury?

Maybe someone being able to price up the average meal (Let's assume you purchase breakfast, lunch & tea from vendors for 5 days) as well as maybe giving me an idea of how much beers cost? I understand you can bring your own ale in which would be cheaper, but wanted to get a view on cost of beers if bought from a bar as well.

If say someone could give me some historical spend for previous Glastonbury festivals, this can give me a starting point.

Apologies for what may sound like a stupid question, however just trying to budget (Tight times!) 

Thanks

Ash

Hello

I spent around £90 (I was there Thurs-Mon). I brought my own my own alcohol, so the money was mainly spent on food, cold mixers and the odd cider or wine. 

I expected to spend more so was pleasantly surprised.

On 11 January 2016 at 9:29 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I would say, in my experience nowhere near as much as you think. last year was my first Glastonbury so we naturally spent a lot more time at the Pyramid than we should've. If you're at one of the bigger stages getting a drink from a bar would be at least a 45 minute job, so you just don't bother and if you've got you're own booze with you why would you.

Everybody will have a different Glastonbury, if you hang around at one of the bars all day you will probably spend more, but if you spend most of your time watching music you wont. I bought £500 and probably spent no more than £200 of it, and it wasn't intentional.

A bit if topic but is there any 24hour bars?

• 3 weeks later...

I took £300 last year, for 2 of us, and it covered great food every day (breakfast, lunch/snack and main evening meal (Wed - Mon) and about 4 or 5 drinks each - 1 x beer and 1 x cola. It also covered several massive slices of vegan chocolate cake cooked by this lovely man. Highly recommended. Had enough left to buy a couple of T-shirts as mementoes. 

IMG_0041_2.JPG

On 01/02/2016 at 6:51 PM, gerardfenton18 said:

A bit if topic but is there any 24hour bars?

you will find various postings about 24 hour bars

the WBC { who run many of the larger bars } did a experiment one year and they kept some of them open 24 hour and when all the sums were added up - the extra sales did not cover the staffing cost so they wont be falling over themselves to do it again.

it may sound a good idea if you are a customer but to make it pay drinks would have to be triple the price.

I used to take about £200 and that would cover me for food, drinks and maybe a couple of other bits. Probably closer to £250 these days with various price increases. If you're struggling you can get a lovely veggie curry from the Hare Krishna tent for free. Nice fellas.

On 21/02/2016 at 9:26 AM, Boss84 said:

I used to take about £200 and that would cover me for food, drinks and maybe a couple of other bits. Probably closer to £250 these days with various price increases. If you're struggling you can get a lovely veggie curry from the Hare Krishna tent for free. Nice fellas.

You can also do a couple of hours work at Buddhafields Cafe and (I think) Permaculture Cafe in exchange for a meal.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

As with all travel, lay out all your clothes and cash.  Take half the clothes and twice as much money.

i normally take £300 - £50 a day plus a bit extra.  Don't drink a huge amount, take a couple of bottles of spirits but I really enjoy my food.  Bit of merch, bit of shopping.  Always come home with a few notes left.

On 27 February 2016 at 4:57 PM, ICGenie said:

As with all travel, lay out all your clothes and cash.  Take half the clothes and twice as much money.

i normally take £300 - £50 a day plus a bit extra.  Don't drink a huge amount, take a couple of bottles of spirits but I really enjoy my food.  Bit of merch, bit of shopping.  Always come home with a few notes left.

Wouldnt agree with half the clothes, i go through them at an alarming rate in a weT year

Edited by gerardfenton18

• 4 weeks later...
On 3 January 2016 at 7:41 PM, ashtaylor1 said:

Hi guys.

I know this question may sound crazy as personal preference will be the ultimate answer to this, but how much would you recommend taking to Glastonbury?

Maybe someone being able to price up the average meal (Let's assume you purchase breakfast, lunch & tea from vendors for 5 days) as well as maybe giving me an idea of how much beers cost? I understand you can bring your own ale in which would be cheaper, but wanted to get a view on cost of beers if bought from a bar as well.

If say someone could give me some historical spend for previous Glastonbury festivals, this can give me a starting point.

Apologies for what may sound like a stupid question, however just trying to budget (Tight times!) 

Thanks

Ash

Take £100 for each day, keep it on you in the most inaccessible place, so you don't lose it at the bar late on that evening, when you wake up each morning (where ever you are!) you have the ability to get some juice/fruit or bacon sarnie that WILL make you fell 100% again. REPEAT & ENJOY

Edited by babyonastick1
missed out text